Forum Regular

Magnetic shielding -- affects TV or front speakers?

HELP!!! I have two Vandersteen 1C front speakers that are "not magnetically shielded and should be positioned at least 10 inches away from a direct view television set'" according to the website:

http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html

I have a Toshiba 42H83 TV:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...sp?model=42H83

Because of physical limitations and layout of my living room, I absolutely have no choice but to stand the speakers less than 4 inches from the TV (I am truly am stuck with this choice, so I can't debate alternate component arrangement).

Questions:

1) When talking about magnetic shielding, is the interference that could result with the audio, the video, or both?

2) I've got everything set up and honestly can't hear or see any audio or video interference from the speakers or the TV. Is it possible that I could just think everything sounds/looks fine but that there's some interference?

3) If I'm screwed and there is interference that I'm not noticing, what steps can I take to minimize interference? Or, is there any special cabling, components, or hardware I can buy that helps?

I've just joined this forum recently and have found much of the discussion very helpful, so I thank you guys in advance for any suggestions. Thanks!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Your RPTV is probably not going to be affected much by the magnets in the speakers..especially if they're level with the actual glass screen.

If you haven't noticed discoloration and interference already, you're probably okay. It's very noticeable and immediate. And it's quite reversible...just turn the TV off, wait a minute, and turn it back on.

I have an unshielded 15" subwoofer beside my Toshipa RPTV, 4 inches...no interference at all.

I'd say you're okay. Oh, and please don't buy anything anyone tells you will solve a problem you don't currently see...

Forum Regular
    So... the interference that would/should result then if there's a problem would be with the video screen, and not the speakers' audio?

Short answer is that speaker magnets can and will create interference with CRT-based TVs and rear projection TVs. Your TV does not interfere with the speakers.

If you're already using your Vandys in close proximity to your TV and you don't see any color smearing or image distortions, then you don't have anything to worry about. With a RPTV, the CRT might already be tucked far enough into the cabinet that the speakers won't create any interference issues. It also depends on the speakers and their alignment. My current speakers don't interfere with the picture at all even if I place them right next to the TV, whereas with my lower mounted old speakers, the picture would distort when the speakers got within about 4" of the TV cabinet.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Thread Information