Thread: Subwoofer cable

Forum Regular

Subwoofer cable

I headed over to BB and CC yesterday to buy some cables to set-up my receiver and DVD player. I know I needed to get either a coax or optical and an s-video since I don't have component connections on my TV- I found a great deal on an optical cable at CC so I chose that over the coax. Anyway, I needed to pick up a subwoofer cable as well. They had a Belkin brand (I think that was it) cable for $30, but it was 25'- way too long because so I don't want all of this extra cable laying around. The salesperson asked what brand subwoofer I have. I told him Definitive Technology and he said for sure I should get a Monster cable for $49 for 12'- I find that funny because Definitive Technology is a decent brand, but the salesperson was so impressed- it made me laugh a bit. Even though the 12' is a good size, it's $49! I never met someone with such a strong opinion on recommending Monster. He guaranteed it would sound way better than the Belkin $30 cable.

I ended up going to BB and buying a 15' AR cable for $16.

I know this is a long debated topic about cables, but has anyone experienced noticeable differences with subwoofer cables?

Thanks.
    Eric

You did the right thing, Eric. The only difference that Monster has is the markup, which is why he tried his best to sell you one. You could have said you had a Dingleberry subwoofer and he would have been impressed...that's a salesman.

Forum Regular
    Cool- thanks! I joked around (not sure if the salesperson knew or not) and said wow, the monster one even looks a lot cooler. He responded with some comment about it being high quality!

I do have to say he was very friendly and seemed genuine- he could have been bored because there were only 2 other customers in the whole store. I have to start wondering how long CC will be around. Whenever I visit BB, it's full of people- CC is usually dead! I know they are in bankruptcy protection (or I at least I thought they were), but so is United and they're going as strong as they can be.

Thread Information