Question AC voltage sags below 110V easily....

I recently bought an AC voltage monitor from Radio Shack, and surprisingly my line voltage dips below 110V very easily. When I have all the stuff on, such as TVs, amps, receivers, computer, etc., my voltage goes below 110V at my amp's wattage reading of 100watts(both channels combined). I played my system at way much higher volumes before but didn't encounter any problems. What I do know is that somehow my room's electrical outlet are not grounded, as there is NO ground(I live in a refurbished college house with some old and new wirings, my computer seems to be the ground point right now). My room also share the same 15-amp circuit breaker with one bathroom and 2 more rooms all with big electrical appliances. From what I heard this is a violation of the wiring code and the landlord should fix it, but I'm not sure and would rather not piss off my landlord. What can I do about this????

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Weister42
    I recently bought an AC voltage monitor from Radio Shack, and surprisingly my line voltage dips below 110V very easily. When I have all the stuff on, such as TVs, amps, receivers, computer, etc., my voltage goes below 110V at my amp's wattage reading of 100watts(both channels combined). I played my system at way much higher volumes before but didn't encounter any problems. What I do know is that somehow my room's electrical outlet are not grounded, as there is NO ground(I live in a refurbished college house with some old and new wirings, my computer seems to be the ground point right now). My room also share the same 15-amp circuit breaker with one bathroom and 2 more rooms all with big electrical appliances. From what I heard this is a violation of the wiring code and the landlord should fix it, but I'm not sure and would rather not piss off my landlord. What can I do about this????
    Not much without pissing him off, maybe. Ask if another circuit can be wired in. Move?
    Certainly if you call the city inspectors, he may red tag it and then you are out.
    mtrycrafts

Apparently from your post (no grounded outlet and too many applications on one fuse line), the building wiring is in violation of local wire codes. There are couple of items out there that can address lower voltage problem such as Power Conditioner or UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply).

But unless the problem is sever such as flickering of light when an appliances come on, then you might be alright since most electronic's power supply are designed with slight tolerance of input voltage fluctuations.

Thread Information