• 04-21-2004, 03:28 AM
    hershon
    Will receiver improve sound quality if I already have great speakers?
    Appologize if I'm sounding retarded here, I'm a novice and have picked up alot in the past few weeks reading this board. Anyway, I just got an Orb Mod1 5 speaker 1 sub setup and the speakers sound fantastic on my cheap piece of crap Koss C-220 DVD/receiver (prologic 1 5.1 surround sound) when playing both CD's and DVD's. They sound 500% better than the original Koss speakers the system came with (hey I only paid $150 for it on Ebay- the Orb speakers I got cost me $699). I play classic rock and blues CD's in a normal size living room in an apartment building. If I buy a much better receiver, will the sound quality improve even more and noticably with these great speakers or will I see little improvement on an already great sound because of the new speakers? Also will sound quality improve with a better DVD player in regards to both DVD's and CD's or will it be negligible? I'm not interested in getting a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver, so please address this in terms of a 5.1 surround sound receiver and DTS is not a dealmaker in terms of getting a better receiver. Please, if answering speak in layman not mathmatical technical terms.
  • 04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
    markw
    Somewhat perhaps, but not as much as you would think.
    The speakers ultimately can do only what they can do.
  • 04-21-2004, 06:13 AM
    kexodusc
    If you don't have at least Dolby Digital in your current receiver (ie: just Pro Logic) then yes, a new 5.1 digital receiver will greatly improve the sound of your system.
    Also, don't underestimate what a cleaner sounding, more powerful amp/receiver can do to a system. Speakers make a bigger difference, but amps/receivers can impact sound quality too.
  • 04-21-2004, 09:08 AM
    hershon
    Sorry, yes I have Dolby Digital too
    Hi,

I don't know if this changes your answer but my current system has both Dolby Digital 5.1 and Pro Logic 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    If you don't have at least Dolby Digital in your current receiver (ie: just Pro Logic) then yes, a new 5.1 digital receiver will greatly improve the sound of your system.
    Also, don't underestimate what a cleaner sounding, more powerful amp/receiver can do to a system. Speakers make a bigger difference, but amps/receivers can impact sound quality too.

• 04-21-2004, 09:21 AM
    kexodusc
    Without really knowing some specs, it's hard to guess how much of an improvement. I would suggest more power and better processing capabilities would probably improve sound quality over your current receiver. DTS is almost a standard today.
    All depends how much money you're willing to spend, too.
  • 04-21-2004, 11:26 AM
    Tarheel_
    If you have pre-outs on your current receiver, then purchase a used, inexpensive power amp and this will improve your sound quality. The pre-outs are on the rear and are usually labeled. Check out crutchfield.com and then view the back of a receiver if your unsure what to look for.

audiogon.com or ebay have nice used amps that should improve your sound.

On the other hand, if you have no pre-outs, then to improve sound quality you may need to purchase a newer receiver.