Will anyone help little ole me with my TV problems?

I have a 5-year old 27" Panasonic TV (analog). It has been great, but recently, I've noticed that the upper left corner of the screen is showing a bit of red and it's getting more and more noticeable (especially in day and light colored scenes).

It is my backup TV and I'm wondering if there is a low-maintenance (read: cheap) way of correcting this problem or is this a convenient excuse to buy a second HDTV?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker
    I have a 5-year old 27" Panasonic TV (analog). It has been great, but recently, I've noticed that the upper left corner of the screen is showing a bit of red and it's getting more and more noticeable (especially in day and light colored scenes).

It is my backup TV and I'm wondering if there is a low-maintenance (read: cheap) way of correcting this problem or is this a convenient excuse to buy a second HDTV?
    Widowmaker; if you have been using a hometheater speaker system for some time with this tv, have you made any change in that speaker system on the left channel that might have added a non-shielded speaker? That might cause magnetic interference that could leave a background color on the corner of the set. It is also possible that the degaussing system within the tv is not working properly. It is also possible that you could be having a "creeping"color tv tube gun problem although I am quoting our of left the foul ball line from left field on this one because usually if the guns are going, the whole screen would be affected at once.

If it is a magnetic problem, a degausser would have to be used. Where you get one of these things is a good question. If you happen to have a magnet from an old speaker or some other gismo around, you could run that across that corner of the tv and see if it removes the redness. I would suggest you put a duplicate post on this website requesting WOODMANS help for this problem. KELSCI

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Widowmaker; if you have been using a hometheater speaker system for some time with this tv, have you made any change in that speaker system on the left channel that might have added a non-shielded speaker? That might cause magnetic interference that could leave a background color on the corner of the set. It is also possible that the degaussing system within the tv is not working properly. It is also possible that you could be having a "creeping"color tv tube gun problem although I am quoting our of left the foul ball line from left field on this one because usually if the guns are going, the whole screen would be affected at once.

If it is a magnetic problem, a degausser would have to be used. Where you get one of these things is a good question. If you happen to have a magnet from an old speaker or some other gismo around, you could run that across that corner of the tv and see if it removes the redness. I would suggest you put a duplicate post on this website requesting WOODMANS help for this problem. KELSCI
    Hey, Kelsci, thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact, I did buy a B&W LCR60 S3 center channel speaker. It's supposed to be magnetically shielded but maybe I ought to remove it and see if the red in the corner remains. Thanks for the tip.

I was really hoping that this would be a great excuse to buy a front projector. Right now, CompUSA has the Epson Powerlite S1 for $999 plus a free $200 gift card. Maybe I ought to just bite the bullet and get this.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker
    Hey, Kelsci, thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact, I did buy a B&W LCR60 S3 center channel speaker. It's supposed to be magnetically shielded but maybe I ought to remove it and see if the red in the corner remains. Thanks for the tip.

I was really hoping that this would be a great excuse to buy a front projector. Right now, CompUSA has the Epson Powerlite S1 for $999 plus a free $200 gift card. Maybe I ought to just bite the bullet and get this.
    Kelsci probably "nailed" your problem as speaker-related. Removing the center-channel speaker from atop the TV might not solve the problem though until the set has a chance to degauss itself. This only takes place from a "cold" start (when the set has been off for a period of time). Here's what to do:

Turn the set off - remove the center channel speaker - leave the set off for at least 20-30 minutes - turn it back on and see if the discoloration is gone. If it still hasn't, a thorough degaussing with a professional degaussing coil (or a substitute) is called for, but that must be done correctly in order to achieve the desired result ... OR, you can just use this "problem" as an excuse to get that front projector like you seem to be wanting. Teehee.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    Kelsci probably "nailed" your problem as speaker-related. Removing the center-channel speaker from atop the TV might not solve the problem though until the set has a chance to degauss itself. This only takes place from a "cold" start (when the set has been off for a period of time). Here's what to do:

Turn the set off - remove the center channel speaker - leave the set off for at least 20-30 minutes - turn it back on and see if the discoloration is gone. If it still hasn't, a thorough degaussing with a professional degaussing coil (or a substitute) is called for, but that must be done correctly in order to achieve the desired result ... OR, you can just use this "problem" as an excuse to get that front projector like you seem to be wanting. Teehee.
    I did what you suggested and the coloration has disappeared mostly. Oh well, I guess that's a good thing because the $200 gift card deal with the front projector at CompUSA just expired :\. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information