Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why Wii's and LCDs don't mix

Ouch!

My brother-in-law just last Christmas got the family a 46" Samsung LCD TV, and then surprised his four girls by also getting them a Nintendo Wii (and last Christmas, it was a downright heroic act trying to track down a Wii in the first place). All's well in the household, and I even enjoyed a few Wii games at their house when we visited them over the summer.

Well, fast forward to this week, and things have gone in divergent directions. I finally made the HDTV upgrade, but my brother-in-law now has a gigantic peace symbol-shaped crack in the middle of his TV. Yep, his LCD got tattooed by a flying Wiimote.

So far, none of the girls have admitted to doing the damage, and the family's not done paying for the TV! In the meantime, the family crowds around the old TV in the bedroom or they do their HD viewing with a giant spider-web in the middle of the screen.

It got me to thinking that LCD TVs don't have any kind of protection for the screen, and those layers are quite fragile. Around the office, we've had a couple of LCD panels become unviewable after seemingly minor damage. And from having played Wii games, a Wiimote carries a lot more force.

Apparently, my brother-in-law's not alone. There's a whole website that documents the damage that Wiimotes have done to people's houses, and TV screens in particular.

One pattern I've noticed is that most of the damage reports come from RPTV and LCD TV owners. I did not see anything on a plasma or CRT TV, presumably because those TVs' glass screens are somewhat more impact resistant. (In fact, Panasonic claims that their plasmas are "Wiimote-proof")

While I'd guess that a Wiimote-damaged RPTV screen ain't cheap to fix, the LCD TV is truly hosed because that repair job entails replacing the entire panel.

With the millions of Wiis out there, and reports of TVs damaged by flying Wiimotes very commonplace, I would've thought that someone would come up with an approach that makes these fragile TV screens a little bit more impact resistant. Then again, TV replacement can be quite lucrative for the industry as well!

Some examples of Wiimote damaged TVs are shown below ... Ouch!

Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

PS3 makes use of motion sensing in quite a few games. Some games, like bowling, actually has you doing the entire bowling motion with the controller acting as the ball. My kids are not allowed to play that game...Period. And this is why. Daddy rather hear some complaining about not being able to play the game vs a huge whole in my 60"

Umm...I thought Nin issued a new strap or something like that a long time ago?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    PS3 makes use of motion sensing in quite a few games. Some games, like bowling, actually has you doing the entire bowling motion with the controller acting as the ball. My kids are not allowed to play that game...Period. And this is why. Daddy rather hear some complaining about not being able to play the game vs a huge whole in my 60"

Umm...I thought Nin issued a new strap or something like that a long time ago?
    Smart dad! I'll have to take my cues from 'ya when my little girl decides she wants to be a gamer...

I think Nintendo did redesign the strap, and it actually saved my (or rather my brother in law's) bacon a couple of times when the controller flew out of my hand while playing Wii Tennis. Evidently, one of my nieces decided to drive without her seat belt on.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The cure is a projector-based system. It's both cheaper and more durable than a flat panel.

Since the Wii maxes out at 480p, you can get a modestly priced projector, a ceiling mount, and an inexpensive screen. If you're really cheap, paint a screen on the wall.

Mount the PJ over your heads, mount the Wii sensor under the screen, and wail away.
    I like sulung tang.

Cool

A LCD screen sustains this kind of damage and still works
    And you think a plasma would fare better?
    Do you know what would happen if the glass tube of a plasma got
    hit like that?
    Glass everywhere and escaped gas, one of his kids might have even gotten hurt.
    Hes damn lucky he didn't have a friggin plasma!
    If you "havent seen" any photos of damaged plasmas its because you havent looked very hard.
    One of my indian ancestors would have called you "mr talks out of both sides of mouth".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Finally, think "wii" and LCD doesnt mix?
    Plasma and wii is a real disaster!

Heres a real imformative article about the burn in "myth" that will bite you in the butt if you don't pay attention.
    I have more if you want them, teh web is full of these types of stories.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6202050AAXbv2E
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Testify, brutha!

Quote Originally Posted by filecat13
    The cure is a projector-based system. It's both cheaper and more durable than a flat panel.

Since the Wii maxes out at 480p, you can get a modestly priced projector, a ceiling mount, and an inexpensive screen. If you're really cheap, paint a screen on the wall.

Mount the PJ over your heads, mount the Wii sensor under the screen, and wail away.
    Yeaaahhh Boyyyyyyyy! (in my best Flava Flav impression)...
    I built my 102" screen out of 2 x 4 and bullet proof laminate! Ain't no wiimote go'a crack mah screen....

But I suspect a lot of people don't have a rec room, or big enough living room to accomodate a projector. Most of my friends/family live in condos in larger cities and a projector just wouldn't work in a married man's living room.

This is a funny thread - until it happens to you.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by filecat13

480p? That's it? Not hard to understand why damage occurs when playing with a Wii (that didn't sound right), especially when you have to stand so close to it to see a picture. Count that as another reason why I'm glad I purchased a PS3 with glorious 1080p resolution!

My wife saw an ad for the Wii "fit" with some yoga program or something, in one of her magazines..... now she wants a wii...... Our son is turned 1 today, so his time for video games is still quite a ways down the road at this point. I guess our television would be safe ...... but my wife is pretty clumsy.... so no tennis for her!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    My wife saw an ad for the Wii "fit" with some yoga program or something, in one of her magazines..... now she wants a wii
    My wife saw that too. She waited in line at 6:00am at Target to get one and has used it 3 times. That was 6 months ago. I should put it by the eliptical machine she had to have 2 Christmas' ago

The key is an anti-glare screen. I know Mits used them on their DLP's and LG had some as well. The screens are removeable, so that must mean they are replaceable, right? Think of it as a rudimentary force field.

My parents recently bought a Wii and it came with grippy rubber sleeves for the wiimotes. There are also have a number of aftermarket grips/sleeves, which is what we bought the same day we got our Wii last year. With two young boys, there was no way I was taking any chances. Combined with the strap, you'd have to really be flailing away to launch the wiimote.

BTW, welcome to the new millenium, Wooch. What did you finally buy?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    A LCD screen sustains this kind of damage and still works
    And you think a plasma would fare better?
    Do you know what would happen if the glass tube of a plasma got
    hit like that?
    Glass everywhere and escaped gas, one of his kids might have even gotten hurt.
    Hes damn lucky he didn't have a friggin plasma!
    If you "havent seen" any photos of damaged plasmas its because you havent looked very hard.
    One of my indian ancestors would have called you "mr talks out of both sides of mouth".
    "still works" Yuh, if you consider pixelated streaks and blank blocks "still working"!

As usual, you ignored the information in my post just to break out the tired old debunked lines about "escaped gas." You believe all this crap, yet you continue to claim that loss of motion resolution on LCD TVs is a myth, even when presented with benchmark tests that confirm their poor performance?!

Panasonic's plasmas can withstand the equivalent of 4 joules, which is more than the typical impact from a flying Wiimote. Oh, and they've also been doing that demo next to a LCD screen subjected to just 1 joule. Both sets are "still working" but the plasma still maintains a viewable picture, unlike the LCD which has visible black spots cropping up just from a relatively minor impact.

http://www.cnet.com.au/games/wii/0,2...9285990,00.htm
    Last edited by Woochifer; 10-30-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Finally, think "wii" and LCD doesnt mix?
    Plasma and wii is a real disaster!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    My wife saw that too. She waited in line at 6:00am at Target to get one and has used it 3 times. That was 6 months ago. I should put it by the eliptical machine she had to have 2 Christmas' ago

The key is an anti-glare screen. I know Mits used them on their DLP's and LG had some as well. The screens are removeable, so that must mean they are replaceable, right? Think of it as a rudimentary force field.

My parents recently bought a Wii and it came with grippy rubber sleeves for the wiimotes. There are also have a number of aftermarket grips/sleeves, which is what we bought the same day we got our Wii last year. With two young boys, there was no way I was taking any chances. Combined with the strap, you'd have to really be flailing away to launch the wiimote.

BTW, welcome to the new millenium, Wooch. What did you finally buy?
    Hey Speedy, good to see you dropping in.

Yeah, I finally pulled the trigger on a Panny 50" 1080p plasma. (Got a standalone thread going) Ever since the Pioneer Elites slipped out of my budget range, I've been on a price watch on the Pannys. Once Costco posted the $300 markoff on their October circular, that was the time to buy.

My brother-in-law's Wii has the new straps and they kept ME from launching the controller into his TV when I was playing Wii Tennis. The Wii in their house is in constant use, and they had no mishaps for close to 10 months. But, it looks like one of his girls played without buckling up first.

It doesn't take much to damage a RPTV or LCD screen. But with the RPTV, you're right, the screen is replaceable, whereas with the LCD, you have to either live with the streaks and blank spots or replace the whole panel. I'm sure that someone can launch a Wiimote hard enough to break a plasma/CRT screen, but that takes a lot more force than what's required to render a LCD screen unwatchable.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I built my 102" screen out of 2 x 4 and bullet proof laminate! Ain't no wiimote go'a crack mah screen....

But I suspect a lot of people don't have a rec room, or big enough living room to accomodate a projector. Most of my friends/family live in condos in larger cities and a projector just wouldn't work in a married man's living room.

Yeah, I can tell you that my brother-in-law was not laughing when he flicked on his TV and was greeted by a giant spider-web pattern in the middle of the screen!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

Ditto. You'd have to throw your arm out before you could damage my screens.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    There needs to be a "Wii rider" on homeowner's insurance policies to cover these types of mishaps if the players don't learn after the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    There needs to be a "Wii rider" on homeowner's insurance policies to cover these types of mishaps if the players don't learn after the first one.
    I'm not even sure that homeowner's insurance covers the first one.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Hmm....Maybe that wii strap can double as a belt

That'll stop the controllers from flying all through the house
    So far, none of the girls have admitted to doing the damage
    That's priceless. Dad, what hole are you talking about? I don't see anything.

Hmm....Maybe that wii strap can double as a belt

That'll stop the controllers from flying all through the house

That's priceless. Dad, what hole are you talking about? I don't see anything.

Well, they're admitting that there's a hole, just not where it came from! My brother-in-law apparently lined the four girls up and asked who did it -- nobody said anything, but one of them kept looking down - ouch! Regardless of who did it, one of them's now got three sisters in position to blackmail her for the next decade or so!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I'm not even sure that homeowner's insurance covers the first one.
    There isn't as far as I know, and I'm not recalling at the moment my reasoning behind that. Give me a day, or two, or a week or so and maybe it'll come to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Well, they're admitting that there's a hole, just not where it came from! My brother-in-law apparently lined the four girls up and asked who did it -- nobody said anything, but one of them kept looking down - ouch! Regardless of who did it, one of them's now got three sisters in position to blackmail her for the next decade or so!
    FOUR girls......ouch. That's got trouble written all over it

FOUR girls......ouch. That's got trouble written all over it
    Heh, yeah! In a few years a cracked screen will seem like the good old days.
    I like sulung tang.

Wow....

I really, really, REALLY HATE this thread. If I came home and found my 52" Sammy broken from some idiotic turd tossing incident... I figure it's "Murder She Wrote" and I ain't kiddin. I really dislike the way this thread it heading. Urrgh.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I really, really, REALLY HATE this thread. If I came home and found my 52" Sammy broken from some idiotic turd tossing incident... I figure it's "Murder She Wrote" and I ain't kiddin. I really dislike the way this thread it heading. Urrgh.

Da Worfster

OH SH!T!!! Back away everybody. It could get ugly here.

(Color ME gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

OH SH!T!!! Back away everybody. It could get ugly here.

(Color ME gone)
    I'm gonna have a talk with that boy when I get home... A good... Long Talk.....

Da Worfter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information