Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    May I also add:

The PS/3 will need to link with whatever you end up using. It is sure to link with one meant for a PS/3.
    GMichael" Thanks for that additional information... That will help" as i have no idea!!

L.J.@Quote
    I'm using this one

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayS..._ob_vg_title_0

I use my controller sometimes too.

I don't think the PS3 would have any problems seeing other bluetooth devices if you wanted something cheaper........................................... .......................................

L.J." thanks good looking out" that Logitech piece is looking great!! for $41.00 after rebate thanks Again Guys.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The thing about a PS/3 is that Sony wants people to buy their games and s/w. They make enough there to justify making less of a profit on the unit itself. You end up with something that does a great job playing BR disks and has so much more included (games or not). We just want to share that with everyone so that they can get the same great deal we did. (Not that getting a BR player for about $100 isn't a great deal too)
    Heres the thing, paying more for a bunch of features you won't use is no bargain.
    AND this site is full of "ps3 fanboys", some who just don't understand why a non-tech type wouldnt want one.
    For the record, having seen Sonys exelent Blu player and their ps3 side by side, the
    pq award goes to the standalone.
    Everything the PS3 can do you can do on a computer(except for some of the games),
    but try telling that to these enraptured "fanboys".
    In short, PS3 is nice, but a standalone is a choice, too.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Heres the thing, paying more for a bunch of features you won't use is no bargain.
    AND this site is full of "ps3 fanboys", some who just don't understand why a non-tech type wouldnt want one.
    For the record, having seen Sonys exelent Blu player and their ps3 side by side, the
    Everything the PS3 can do you can do on a computer(except for some of the games),
    A standalone is a good choice, but not all standalones cost less than a PS/3. There are many that cost more.

As far as there being a lot of fanboys here, that's just normal. When something is this good, lots of people want to tell their friends.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    The media center capabilities of the PS3 gives it a huge advantage over other players IMO. Once you add the strong support plus upgrade potential (improvements in DVD playback, 3-D support, constant improvements of the user interface....it goes on and on), I'd say it just offers far more for the $$$.
    I agree completely with L.J. (enough to give him a Greenie in fact)...the convenience of the onboard hard drive and the instananeous and fre upgrades via th einternet are excellent sell-points in this fledgling state of Blu-Ray.

Some models play SACD as well which a strong incentive for me anyway.

It is not flawless and few have claimed it to be. The fans make a bit of discernable noise at low levels and the DACs could be better for straight 44 two channel but bang-for-the-buck it has no competition, IMO.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Nah, we are just thrilled at what we got! Once I tricked this thing out, I was floored with what it could do.
    Hey T-Dawg, any specifics on the "tricking out"? Inquiring minds want to know...

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I agree completely with L.J. (enough to give him a Greenie in fact)...the convenience of the onboard hard drive and the instananeous and fre upgrades via th einternet are excellent sell-points in this fledgling state of Blu-Ray.

Some models play SACD as well which a strong incentive for me anyway.

It is not flawless and few have claimed it to be. The fans make a bit of discernable noise at low levels and the DACs could be better for straight 44 two channel but bang-for-the-buck it has no competition, IMO.
    Yo sticks type individual, are you referring to the AV multi output? Because the PS3 has no DAC. The AV multi out is the lowest resolution of all connections, and that is to accommodate a television only situation. Both the optical and HDMI connection stream to the on board DAC of the receiver, it is not passed through an internal DAC.

Did you know you can use its internal 24/176.4 up sampling algorithm and dither processing to improve the CD sound? I can hip you to the optimum settings if you so desire.

Still, you are right, it is not flawless. The benefits outweigh the flaws many times over though IMO
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I cannot disagree with you on this one. However, most of us around here need a CD player, and it is excellent at this chore. Most of us want a Blu ray player, and it lands in the top tier of Blu ray players at this chore. Some of us are either just getting into streaming, or have been at it a while, and it is excellent and content rich at doing this. Some of us wanted a place to store our digital photos, and this thing surely is that place. Some of us have a pretty nice size DVD library, and it does an excellent job of up converting this to HD like resolution(it does it better than most displays do). You can also store anywhere from 60GB to 250GB(or more with a hard drive upgrade) of music on its hard drive. Now are there really that many features that most folks don't use? With all of this it does not matter if you don't play games.

Being a fanboy does not mean that you are not balanced in your perspective. Are there better quality Blu ray standalones out there, yep, but they cost more than the PS3, and do less than it. If looks turn you off, then you are going to hate some very high performing products.

This is true only if you are talking about the BDP-S5000ES, and it costs more than the PS3(more than double) and it is less feature rich than the PS3. Based on testing, the BDP-S5000ES just barely beats the PS3 in picture quality(especially against the older model PS3), and is able to stream to a receiver(which is of no sonic benefit). The newer PS3 slim can stream, but its PQ is not on the same level as the BDP-S5000ES.

Oh really. Well can a computer upsample to 24/176.4 on CD playback? Maybe not. Can a computer playback SACD? Umm, maybe not. Are there any computers with CEC protocol for system integration on HDMI? I know of none. Can a computer be operated with a Harmony remote for total system operation integration? Aaaa, no!

So a computer cannot do everything a PS3 can do.

Agreed!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey T-Dawg, any specifics on the "tricking out"? Inquiring minds want to know...
    I guess I mean to fully utilize all of its features and internal settings to get the best out of the equipment.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Yo sticks type individual, are you referring to the AV multi output? Because the PS3 has no DAC. The AV multi out is the lowest resolution of all connections, and that is to accommodate a television only situation. Both the optical and HDMI connection stream to the on board DAC of the receiver, it is not passed through an internal DAC.

Did you know you can use its internal 24/176.4 up sampling algorithm and dither processing to improve the CD sound? I can hip you to the optimum settings if you so desire.

Still, you are right, it is not flawless. The benefits outweigh the flaws many times over though IMO
    Yeah, I'm talkembout that AV multi...and thanks for the clarification. I'll mess around with the settings and see what I can come up with and consult further if necessary.

Frankly, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm getting a bit bored so it may all be for naught. Might pack everything up and start a new project for 2010...

Cool

Oh really. Well can a computer upsample to 24/176.4 on CD playback? Maybe not. Can a computer playback SACD? Umm, maybe not. Are there any computers with CEC protocol for system integration on HDMI? I know of none. Can a computer be operated with a Harmony remote for total system operation integration? Aaaa, no!
    So a computer cannot do everything a PS3 can do.
    Wrong as usual.
    There are remotes for computers, and I have an eight year old DVD audio player that can
    double a standard CD to 88 khz, sounds amazing.
    You could upsample a CD quite easily with a USB dac, no chore really.
    MEANWHILE, PS3 is blutooth, need a USB adapter, while my computer has a blu keyboard and mouse.
    If the one lung ps3 can do it my computer can manage quite well( 64 bit, 8 gig 1066
    front side bus dual core windows 7 mACHINE).
    Aint no thang.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Wrong as usual.
    There are remotes for computers, and I have an eight year old DVD audio player that can
    double a standard CD to 88 khz, sounds amazing.
    Sorry, but a remote is not apart of every computer system that is built, but it is apart of EVERY PS3. It is kind of simple to use a rare device(and an even rarely used device) to make a point. 88.2khz is not 176.4 is it? In this sentence alone you are talking about two seperate components instead of one complete one.

You could upsample a CD quite easily with a USB dac, no chore really.
    Now you have just pulled a third component into the fray.

MEANWHILE, PS3 is blutooth, need a USB adapter, while my computer has a blu keyboard and mouse.
    I didn't need an adapter for my remote. So much for your extensive personal experience with the PS3. It is quite apparent you know nothing about the machine. I just plugged in both my bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse, and that was it.

If the one lung ps3 can do it my computer can manage quite well( 64 bit, 8 gig 1066
    front side bus dual core windows 7 mACHINE).
    Aint no thang.
    The Cell processor is much more powerful than any dual core computer out there. Secondly your computer cannot playback SACD or Blu ray disc. So much for that comment.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

And so it begins. Skynet is born.

http://gcn.com/articles/2010/01/27/a...cndaily_280110

Try that with a BR player.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    "One Lung PS3", with a cell processor.

pixdumbass, do a search on Cell Processor, and this time actually READ the description. Next, get the F*** out of this thread because surely Sir T and everyone else who actually knows something about the PS3 is getting tired of your deliberate trolling stunt. OKAY?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    "One Lung PS3", with a cell processor.

pixdumbass, do a search on Cell Processor, and this time actually READ the description. Next, get the F*** out of this thread because surely Sir T and everyone else who actually knows something about the PS3 is getting tired of your deliberate trolling stunt. OKAY?
    Cell, smell.
    Buncha PS3 fanboys indeed.
    When does your day pass run out
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cell, smell.
    Buncha PS3 fanboys indeed.
    When does your day pass run out
    I guess it would run out when your simple minded (and often wrong) approach to audio and video does!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

I guess it would run out when your simple minded (and often wrong) approach to audio and video does!
    Keep on croaking, you old fossil, sitting in the dark with your antique CRT projector
    and your equally antique view on the world.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Keep on croaking, you old fossil, sitting in the dark with your antique CRT projector
    and your equally antique view on the world.
    But Pix, I am at least ten years younger than you are, so what does that make you man? An groaning oil deposit?

When you go to the movies old bean, just what lighting conditions do you view the movie in?
    If you get the right answer I will turn off the water!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp