Where to put the rears?

Printable View

  • 10-27-2004, 03:18 AM
    madmax1
    Where to put the rears?
    Ive been reading alot on this web site and others about where to put the rear surronds? Some say to put them behind and slighty angled in? Some say put them higher then your head, say about 2-3 feet above and angled in? Or ear level and facing each other?? Could anyone explain this better to me, rught now i have them 3 feet higher and facing each other it sounds ok?? Thanks any replies!
  • 10-27-2004, 03:51 AM
    PAT.P
    where to put rears
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by madmax1
    Ive been reading alot on this web site and others about where to put the rear surronds? Some say to put them behind and slighty angled in? Some say put them higher then your head, say about 2-3 feet above and angled in? Or ear level and facing each other?? Could anyone explain this better to me, rught now i have them 3 feet higher and facing each other it sounds ok?? Thanks any replies!

    IF THEY SOUND GOOD TO YOU LEAVE THEM LIKE THIS ! MINE OR ON WALL 3 FEET ABOVE TO FILL THE ROOM 26x16 THERE A LOVE SEAT ON ONE SIDE AND WING CHAIR ON OTHER SIDE SO WE COULD HERE ANYWHERE WE SIT !PAT.P :D
  • 10-27-2004, 06:33 AM
    kexodusc
    I've experimented with sevaral 5.1 placements in my old room...I liked the the perceived spaciousness and depth provided by placing rears behind, angled in, but there seems to be some lateral detail advantages (ie panning from side to side) when having the speakers facing each other around the ear position.
    This is a preference thing for many, there isn't really a right or wrong way IMO...whatever you like best.

    Take the path of least resistance when doing this...that is, don't punch holes in your walls, or rearrange your whole house to accomodate 2 speakers that might improve the sound by 2 or 3%.

    I've also heard that speakers should be placed as per the instructions in the receiver/processor's manual, as DSP and decoder programs are derived from these speaker positions...but I don't know how to confirm that.
  • 10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
    hershon
    As a post says above, stick with whatever sounds best to you know matter if its technically wrong! What I suggest is, and that's the easiest to do, assuming you have this in your living/family room and are listening from a sofa, I'm assuming you have 2 end tables on the left and right side of the sofa. I'd put the speakers there and on "decorative blocks" as applicable so the speakers are at least above your sofa sides.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I've experimented with sevaral 5.1 placements in my old room...I liked the the perceived spaciousness and depth provided by placing rears behind, angled in, but there seems to be some lateral detail advantages (ie panning from side to side) when having the speakers facing each other around the ear position.
    This is a preference thing for many, there isn't really a right or wrong way IMO...whatever you like best.

    Take the path of least resistance when doing this...that is, don't punch holes in your walls, or rearrange your whole house to accomodate 2 speakers that might improve the sound by 2 or 3%.

    I've also heard that speakers should be placed as per the instructions in the receiver/processor's manual, as DSP and decoder programs are derived from these speaker positions...but I don't know how to confirm that.

  • 10-27-2004, 03:53 PM
    Lensman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by madmax1
    Ive been reading alot on this web site and others about where to put the rear surronds? Some say to put them behind and slighty angled in? Some say put them higher then your head, say about 2-3 feet above and angled in? Or ear level and facing each other?? Could anyone explain this better to me, rught now i have them 3 feet higher and facing each other it sounds ok?? Thanks any replies!

    This is where Dolby recommends you put them:

    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...html#placement

    They also used to recommend placing the surrounds 2-3 ft. above your head. I'm not sure why they removed that. It sounds like you have things reasonably positioned, though you may want to angle the surrounds in to aim toward your head.

    Having said this, your room's acoustics will have an impact on the placement of your speakers (some areas will simply sound better), so the advice to "put them where they sound best" is reasonable. You may want to experiment with moving them around a little. The type of speaker (dipole, bipole, or direct radiating) will affect placement, as will the location of the port on reflex designs. For example, you don't generally want to place rear-firing port speakers against a wall because it will muddy up the bass. It's also best to remove objects in the near field of the speakers. For example, if you have a speaker sitting on a shelf or table, it's best to position it so there's no lip in front of the speaker. This is one reason speaker stands are so commonly recommended.
  • 10-31-2004, 06:41 PM
    Blue Meanie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PAT.P
    IF THEY SOUND GOOD TO YOU LEAVE THEM LIKE THIS ! MINE OR ON WALL 3 FEET ABOVE TO FILL THE ROOM 26x16 THERE A LOVE SEAT ON ONE SIDE AND WING CHAIR ON OTHER SIDE SO WE COULD HERE ANYWHERE WE SIT !PAT.P :D

    Please quit posting using all capital letters. It is the equivalent of shouting, and is considered rude. Thanks!;)

    Jeff
  • 10-31-2004, 07:55 PM
    PAT.P
    Capital letters
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    Please quit posting using all capital letters. It is the equivalent of shouting, and is considered rude. Thanks!;)

    Jeff

    Sorry! New at this ! Hope I did'nt offend anybody ! Pat.P
  • 10-31-2004, 08:40 PM
    Blue Meanie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Sorry! New at this ! Hope I did'nt offend anybody ! Pat.P

    No need to be sorry. Figured you were new. I did the same thing when I was new, as I'm sure many of us did. Just trying to inform.

    Jeff
    P.S. Welcome to the wacky world of the internet!
  • 11-01-2004, 12:10 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by madmax1
    Ive been reading alot on this web site and others about where to put the rear surronds? Some say to put them behind and slighty angled in? Some say put them higher then your head, say about 2-3 feet above and angled in? Or ear level and facing each other?? Could anyone explain this better to me, rught now i have them 3 feet higher and facing each other it sounds ok?? Thanks any replies!

    Three feet higher and facing each other is very good. You don't mention what type of speakers you have for surrounds(dipole monopole, bipole), and what position they are in relation to the couch(side, slightly behind to the sides) that would be helpful.