Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

where to place center channel?

ok i just got a 30" Samsung Slimfit HDTV in my new apartment (small room). I want to hook up some of my old speaker system Paradigm (floors,cc, bookshelfs for rears). I am trying to figure out where to place the center channel. I think my best bet would be one of those shelves that go on top of the tv http://www.htmarket.com/telshelforce.html or something of the like.

First I would like to know if there are any other better solutions...the only other option I could think of would be to either:
    1) get a tv stand and put it on shelf below the tv
    2) build a shelf into the wall about the tv (but this is an apartment so it would be not the best idea to start mangling the walls and I dont really have much room to do the actual building)

Second. Is this type of shelf safe for the tv...will the weight of the large center channel damage/bow the tv over time? i heard that it could but im not sure if it is more rumor or fact

Third. If this type of product is the best idea, is the one i posted ok or are there other models/brands that are recommended.

Thanks

I have mine just sitting on top of my plasma. It's actually quite sturdy but I'm replacing it with a larger speaker soon. I was going through the same thing. I'm going to put a shelf on the wall above and behind the tv and put a foot under the speaker to angle it down a bit towards ear level.

I had my smaller Cambridge Soundworks center under the tv on a shelf but no longer have that space and it didn't sound as good there. There are also center speaker stand to place them in front, but with my setup it would block the remote etc.

Forum Regular
    I have a 20+ pound center speaker so i have a floor stand for it and it sounds far better down low than it did on top of the tv.Also the tweeters are much closer to the tweeters of the other front speakers and this is key to good sound.Get your tweeters as close to level as you can and give the center a solid base,sitting on top of a big plastic tv is not the best.

bill

Forum Regular

Why Don't You Try an Orb Mod 1 Speaker & MusicMan Question for You

The title reminds me of the old standard, who is the Frankin Roosevelt Building named after?
    Answer: Joe Building.

Anyway, unless your center speaker is too large for the top of the TV, I'd put it right on top, you don't need a shelf. Alternatively, you might just buy for $85 or so, an Orb Mod 1 speaker & use that for the center speaker on top of the TV. I live in am Apartment as well & I have 2 Orb Mod 1 5.1 systems including the sub.

Musicman do you have a photo you can put on here on your center speaker. I'm trying to visualize how you can have one on a stand in front of the middle of your TV without it interfering/distracting from your viewing.

I tried mine on the tv stand in front of the TV (it blocked the remote for tv operation) and on the shelf under the TV and it sounds far better up top.

I can understand why you would want your front or main tweeters at the same level. I have my rears at 40" and that is also much better sounding to me than they were at 30".

I also notice in the gallery than many others have their center speaker on top of the TV. And they obviously make shelfs and stand just for this. Not sure about problems with plastic but mine is aluminum so it's not a problem. The speaker is just heavy enough to keep it steady and it would take quite a bump to cause it to fall. I can slide the whole system away from the wall and it stays put just fine. And did I mention is sounds better?

Forum Regular
    Ed
    sorry i am having camaera problems right now so i can't send you a picture,but i think you misunderstood,the top of the center speaker is only twenty inches from the floor and tilted up to the listening position.The television picture starts about 24 inches from the floor so no problem with seeing anything.The stand was custom made for me by my local audio shop.I will send you a picture when i can.

bill

Forum Regular
    Sorry, I forgot to realize that you guys might have your TV on a Stand as my 48" Mitsubishi
    HD TV is a rear projection type that isn't on a stand. Obviously in my set up, I can't place a stand in front of it or even have a speaker below it.

Forum Regular
    yeah the tv will be on a stand...and at about 25lbs i dont know if i want to put that weight on top of the tv or not. i guess i will just have to think about putting it on a shelf below the tv for know (a stand in front would take up took much retail between the coffee table and tv). i wish i could find some sort of stand the went behind the tv and then had a shelf going over it.

Forum Regular
    Not being critical, so don't take this personal but are you sure a 30" HDTV is big enough for your living room? I'm asking because my second HDTV which was in my bedroom using my
    dresser as its stand was 30"& the picture was way to small for me & so I got a 34" Panasonic HDTV which is the perfect size for that room. Anyway, if your speaker will rest on the TV comfortably & not fall off unless you tiuch it, I'd leave it there. I don't think the weight is going to harm the TV. I'd call the manufacturer though to double check. If not & you want to keep the speaker the stand you listed on your thread is fine & I'm sure there are plenty of others. As I live in an apartment too, I'd recommend if you're not on the first floor, getting a heavy duty isolation pad to put under your sub & also get from Auralex, a sub isolation rise called the subdude. These will help with the sub vibrations. Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Ed
    No the stand is for the speaker,my tv is a 51 inch Toshiba crt rear projection that sits on the floor and i have no problems with the speaker in front of my set.Works great.

bill

On top of the tv works for me. The self I use has suction feet on the front, and adjustabe
    legs on the back to level it. I set the speaker on the self with velcro front and back. My
    tv is on a swivel plater, and the speaker has never moved. The self was purchased
    at a partner store (Dynamic Solutions) Good Luck

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
    JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

Forum Regular
    Whenever you have a chance MusicMan please put a photo of it on here or send me one as I'm trying to visualize it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway15
    yeah the tv will be on a stand...and at about 25lbs i dont know if i want to put that weight on top of the tv or not. i guess i will just have to think about putting it on a shelf below the tv for know (a stand in front would take up took much retail between the coffee table and tv). i wish i could find some sort of stand the went behind the tv and then had a shelf going over it.
    You could also put a small piece of wood or other stiff material on the TV under the speaker if you're worried about messing up your TV.

Forum Regular
    the 30" is big enough for the room, but id def. like bigger. I hope this tv is only temporary because i am hoping to buy a house soon. i orginally bought a 42" plasma, but as i was walking out the door, the salesperson stopped me and said my they were having "issues" with my card (even though the transaction went through and i signed the slip). they sales mgr said he could not get a hold of the bank...and yes, i had my bill paid. i had just moved, so they said it could be a problem with my card working out of state? what a bunch of bs...anyways, i went home empty handed then chickened out on buying because i heard so many horror stories about standard cable being almost unwatchable in some situations on a plasma. i have the 30" 16:9 format for now and hopefully next year i get a house, big living room, and 50" palsma.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway15
    the 30" is big enough for the room, but id def. like bigger. I hope this tv is only temporary because i am hoping to buy a house soon. i orginally bought a 42" plasma, but as i was walking out the door, the salesperson stopped me and said my they were having "issues" with my card (even though the transaction went through and i signed the slip). they sales mgr said he could not get a hold of the bank...and yes, i had my bill paid. i had just moved, so they said it could be a problem with my card working out of state? what a bunch of bs...anyways, i went home empty handed then chickened out on buying because i heard so many horror stories about standard cable being almost unwatchable in some situations on a plasma. i have the 30" 16:9 format for now and hopefully next year i get a house, big living room, and 50" palsma.
    I have a 42" plasma over a year old and Time Warner cable. No issues at all. I've never even heard that before. This is by far the best TV I've ever owned and the size is perfect. I actually downsized from a 54" because it just felt like it was in my face. 15' x 28' room too.

Hershon,

Not to speak for Musicman, but I believe the cc stand he's using is something like this:

It's just like any other speaker stand, just wider, lower, and usually tilted up to support a cc.

BOT,
    When I switched to a flat panel, I moved my cc to below my set inside the tv stand. The narrow profiles of today's flat panels make putting a large (30lb) cc a dicey proposition at best. Thankfully, right before I was about to call a cabinet maker to custom build a shelf, I found a stand large enough to accommodate my cc underneath the set from...of all places...Best Buy! A $35 Auralex Mopad isolated the cc and placed it at a nice tilt with the tweeter pointing towards the sweet spot. Viola! For me, the sound was much better than when I had it on top of my previous set, even though it was tilted down towards the listening position.

That's what I was figuring. I couldn't use such a stand because it would block my receiver, DVD player and cable box which are all under the TV in the TV stand shelves.

I believe for this setup being in an apartment about the best thing you can do is put it on top of your TV with either a shelf made for this if your TV has the depth for such a stand (my flat panel plasma is too thin for these) or with a board or something else to keep it from putting too much weight in any give area on the TV top, though I doubt it would hurt it. If you were in your own home you could simply make a book type shelf above and behind the TV.
    Last edited by bonsaiguitar; 06-19-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Forum Regular

Yeah Auralex Rules!

Nice people. I bought a subwoofer stand from them for around $50 plus shipping. They show up on Ebay once in a while & you can get them for $15 or so less. The subwoofer stand called the subdude, which I have over my heavy duty isolation matt (around $150 ot so from Acoustical Solutions) really helped with the acoustic problems I was having with my sub in my closed in medium sized bedroom. In the living room which is a larger open area I have my sub just over a heavy duty isolation matt & never had acoustical problems with it. As I live in an apartment, the subdude & the isolation pad, help to a decent degree from the sub bothering my neighbors.

In regards to the picture of the stand, personally, anything in front of my TV, even if it was lower down, I think would distract me.

I have HD service through Time Warner & its great. They also provide you with an HD DVR for all of $10 a month & I have 2 of them. That store you mentioned sounds nuts. I can't comment on a plasma but if you have room- an average size living room is enough room, you can get a really great rear projection HD TV between 40 -52" or so for less then a $1,000. My 34" Panasonic CRT HD TV which I love was around $1150 on sale at Circuit City including delivery & installation & to me was a bargain.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Topspeed,mine is very similar,just a little smaller.I use foam rubber balls sliced in half to tilt the speaker to my listening position.
    To those that must use shelfs and such above the tv,try not to have the speaker behind the front plane of the tv screen as this will cause unwanted sound reflection off the top of the tv.
    Ed,do you mean it will distract you visually,having the center on the floor?

bill

ed

here's a photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where to place center channel?-snapshot6.jpg  
    Last edited by musicman1999; 06-19-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Forum Regular

Here Are Some Out of Focus Photos

I appologize for this. I just used my cell phone camera & didn't bother using photo shot on these to make them better but am just including to give you guys a general idea of my living room set up with the 48" Mitsubishi HD, my Orb Mod 1 5.1 set up, DVD player, HD DVR, 3801 Receiver & Pioneer PD-59 CD player. Basically the first photo shows the Orb speaker on top of my TV by my DVR & Receiver & DVD player & my left & right front speakers on 2 24" Omnimount Cosmic 24" Silver Stands by my Orb Superewight Sub which is over a heavy duty isolation matt. The CD player is on a furniture stand to the right of the TV. For me, anything directly in front of my TV would visually distract me. On the second photo are the 2 rear Orb Speakers to each side of me on the glass end tables to the left & right of my couch, on 2" $5 nick nacks I got at a place called Tuesdays in LA's. I could of course make the speakers higher, but cosmetically I prefer them the way it is. Basically the center of the sofa is facing the center on the TV & center speaker & is pretty equi distant from the other speakers. Oh, & the Monster Power Center is hidden in the first photo but it is in back of the sub & TV.

PS How can I attach my photos like you guys so you don't have to click them on to show?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where to place center channel?-image.jpg   where to place center channel?-btv.jpg  

Forum Regular
    No worse than my low-rez photo.Mine was just a screen grab from a video camera,i am just not into photography.
    Looked at your photos and had a couple of thoughts,have you thought of having the screen protecter removed from your tv?It would get rid of the glare.Also your results would improve with a dedicated stand for your gear
    instead of using the top of the tv.Vibration control does make a difference,especially for the disc players.I have never found my center to be a distraction,lights are off when watching films.

thanks
    bill

Forum Regular
    I don't really have glare that I actually notice. In the photo it was probably cause I put all the lights on. The TV was off & there were just reflections off it. There actually I don't think is a screen protector on their.. When I watch TV its always with all the lights off. Long term habit.

Interesting point you made about vibrations that I never really took into account for. Coud the receiver itslelf be affected by vibrations? The DVR/HD Receiver isn't affected & as to the DVD
    player which I only use for DVDs now, I'm fine with that. My CD player is in a seperate stationary stand & as I said, unless the vibrations affect the receiver, I'm OK but let me know if they could & I may reassess things.

Sound? I'm more concerned about the long term affects of a heavy avr on top of the plastic chassis of your TV, Hersh. I have know idea how strong that casing is, but I'd be careful it doesn't bow out your screen.

Beautiful JML's musicman. (just clean up your cables )

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Sound? I'm more concerned about the long term affects of a heavy avr on top of the plastic chassis of your TV, Hersh. I have know idea how strong that casing is, but I'd be careful it doesn't bow out your screen.

Beautiful JML's musicman. (just clean up your cables )
    The casing is pretty strong. My father has the same tv, but bigger: 65" and we have everything piled on it and it seems sturdy enough.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Topspeed,the 806's that you see are about to go to the back and be replaced by 816's.As for cables,yeah i know,just never seem to get around to it.Cables behind my gear rack are much better.

bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information