Forum Regular

Where are all the LCOS TV's

A couple of months ago we all read about Intels jump into LCOS chips and how it was supposed to bring on a wave on cheaper big screeen TV's. I am in the market to replace my 5 year old Mitsubishi 65" HDTV. I want to go with a LCOS 70". Can't find them anywhere. Anybody have any ideas??

Read this thread:

Intel cancels LCOS TV chip

Intel's LCOS vaporware seems to have delayed quite a few purchasing decisions since the start of the year. I get pretty steamed whenever companies make these big ambitious "too good to be true" announcements and whether intentional or not the primary effect is to freeze the market. Microsoft does this all the time, Dolby has done it before, and a whole slew of other companies who make the product announcements way before any deliverable product is even close to ready.

If Intel announces that by the end of the year they will come out with a LCOS chip that will potentially cut HDTV prices by about half, of course the market will respond by delaying purchases. But, at least now that the market has moved past this debacle, consumers can now make rational decisions based on what's in front of them, rather than relying on pie-in-the-sky promises.

In the meantime though, you might want to hold onto that TV for a while longer. I've read a couple of articles that discuss how much new flat panel manufacturing capacity is coming on line over the next year, and how it will likely create a huge supply glut and spark a round of steep price reductions. Even if you're not in the market for a flat panel TV, narrowing the price gap between flat panels and other types of HDTVs will obviously put price pressures on those sets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    In the meantime though, you might want to hold onto that TV for a while longer. I've read a couple of articles that discuss how much new flat panel manufacturing capacity is coming on line over the next year, and how it will likely create a huge supply glut and spark a round of steep price reductions. Even if you're not in the market for a flat panel TV, narrowing the price gap between flat panels and other types of HDTVs will obviously put price pressures on those sets as well.
    You know, I remember a year ago the CEA predicting that widescreen and flat panels were going to enjoy a 25-35% price decrease during this year as production ramped up.

I'm still waiting....

I'm beginning to wonder when these so-called reductions are actually going to take place. The last time I checked, LCD and DLP RPTV's are still around $3-4K and CRT RPTV aren't that much different either.

Forum Regular

Smile Time to look again!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    The last time I checked, LCD and DLP RPTV's are still around $3-4K and CRT RPTV aren't that much different either.
    A CRT RPTV for $3-4k??? Man, what are you looking at!? I paid $1500 for my Hitachi 57S500 2 months ago. RPTV's have come way down in the last year.

Forum Regular

with intel opting out of lcos, for now it seems someone else may jump in. no?

i imagine there may be some other company who would make a move to lcos and has been laying low, not wanting to take on intel if they were going to play in that market. now that they are not, seems someone might go for it. who might that be? who makes the chips for phillips and jvc? same company for both?

Thread Information