Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

1080i from a DVD through component

I have been looking around for a new DVD player to upgrade my non progressive Toshiba SD-2109. I have been waiting for a big increase in image quality because this purchase needs to be approved by the female member of the household. Apprently the jump to progressive scan was not good enough.

It needs it to be through component cables as I do not have the promise module from mistubishi (does anyone?).

Is there a list of DVD Players that do 1080i. Preferabley around $250.

I have a Mits 65-807.

Thanks gang.
    Last edited by johnnyk8; 10-20-2004 at 07:42 AM.

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyk8
    I have been looking around for a new DVD player to upgrade my non progressive Toshiba SD-2109. I have been waiting for a big increase in image quality because this purchase needs to be approved by the female member of the household. Apprently the jump to progressive scan was not good enough.

I needs it to be through component cables as I do not have the promise module from mistubishi (does anyone?).

IS there a list of DVD Players that do 1080i. Preferabley around $250.

I have a Mits 65-807.

Thanks gang.
    1080i from a dvd player doesn't really exist. 480p is the BEST any dvd player can do in the US today. get a strong progressive (with the faroudja dcdi or silicon image video dacs) dvd player if you want to upgrade at all. anything else will probably look worse on your diamond.

Forum Regular
    I have read about a few that do upconverting to 1080i (samsung 841 and 941 and a zenith 318?). Is this just a marketing trick or do they actually work?

thanks

Forum Regular
    I have read about a few that do upconverting to 1080i (samsung 841 and 941 and a zenith 318?). Is this just a marketing trick or do they actually work?

thanks
    I have also heard that it upconverts the 480p signal to 720 or 960 by using a DVI cable, but I have not seen or heard if there is any difference in picture quality. I have a Mitsubishi WS65-819 and my tv does not have the DVI inputs. I called Mitsu to see if the promise module had it, but they told me it didn't. Any input that you may get, please let me know because I like the BEST possible pic also. High Def. programming has got me spoiled.

Forum Regular
    I am totally spoiled too. I just got Dish Network and the HD Package from them. I also plugged in a cheapo antenna and got 5 more HDTV channels (90% signal!!).

As far as I know the promise module is "under $1000" it's $999.99

I was thinking about going for the Zenith since it's so cheap. If it is not much of a difference at least it will be better than my interlaced image that my old DVD player is putting out.

From what I have read the Zenith provides an awesome pic. Not quite HD but still pretty darn sweet.

I will let you know if I score one

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by saul
    I have also heard that it upconverts the 480p signal to 720 or 960 by using a DVI cable, but I have not seen or heard if there is any difference in picture quality. I have a Mitsubishi WS65-819 and my tv does not have the DVI inputs. I called Mitsu to see if the promise module had it, but they told me it didn't. Any input that you may get, please let me know because I like the BEST possible pic also. High Def. programming has got me spoiled.
    Saul, I just learned something. If you have an old enough TV like mine you might notice that you have only 1 1080i component input the other ones are 480i/p. Since you mentioned that you are spoiled by HD I am assuming that the 1080i input is occupied. Now I would need a splitter in addition to the DVD player.

Screw it I am going to get a good progressive scanner. I have been told that good progressive scanner will get me a great image anyway. Just like the first poster in this thead mentioned.

Screw it I am going to get a good progressive scanner. I have been told that good progressive scanner will get me a great image anyway. Just like the first poster in this thead mentioned.
    The AVT-3800 is a good video scaler/line doubler and wont break the bank
    http://www.avtoolbox.com/upconpage.shtml
    http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt3700.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Saul, I just learned something. If you have an old enough TV like mine you might notice that you have only 1 1080i component input the other ones are 480i/p. Since you mentioned that you are spoiled by HD I am assuming that the 1080i input is occupied. Now I would need a splitter in addition to the DVD player.

Hey man! How old is your Misu? Mine is about 2.5 or 3 years old and has both component inputs for both satellite and dvd. I am running a Sony progressive scan player through it now and puts out a really good picture. My question to you is how are you getting the extra channels on HD? Did you have to run an external antenna or does your tv have a high def receiver built in? Mine is HDTV Ready and I have a Toshiba high def sat receiver and currently am using Direct TV. I can't get any other high def channels in besides the ones they offer. I can'e get my local channels in high def either. Take Care!

Forum Regular
    Hey man! How old is your Misu? Mine is about 2.5 or 3 years old and has both component inputs for both satellite and dvd. I am running a Sony progressive scan player through it now and puts out a really good picture. My question to you is how are you getting the extra channels on HD? Did you have to run an external antenna or does your tv have a high def receiver built in? Mine is HDTV Ready and I have a Toshiba high def sat receiver and currently am using Direct TV. I can't get any other high def channels in besides the ones they offer. I can'e get my local channels in high def either. Take Care!
    My tv is about 3 years old. It has 3 sets of component inputs but only one does 1080i. THe other two only do 480p of 480i

As for the local HD channels I run a cheap little RCA antenna from Target. It is the ANT1250. ALl you need is a uhf antenna and to be in the right position to get your HDTV over the air. I plug this antenna into my sat. box with has a antenna in.

look at http://www.antennaweb.org to see if there are channels aval., how far away they are and what direction they are. I am about 15 miles from all the stations' towers so I get a great signal.

Start with a cheat indoor antenna dn work your way up from there. I just have mine in the living roon on the coffie table. Don't let some slick salesguy tell you that you need some $400 antenna setup. Mine cost $25 and works as good as my nieghbor's $425 setup.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the quick reply! i checked the site you sent me and I'm within 15 miles from the towers. I've tried using an amplified off air antenna and hooked up to the ant in on my sat box, but couldn't receive anything. Are you setting up a different ch input on your tv and also do you have to change a setting on the sat box to receive these hdtv channels? I had my sat box on, antenna in, and didn't change anything else. Any input would greatly be appreciated! C'ya!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the quick reply! i checked the site you sent me and I'm within 15 miles from the towers. I've tried using an amplified off air antenna and hooked up to the ant in on my sat box, but couldn't receive anything. Are you setting up a different ch input on your tv and also do you have to change a setting on the sat box to receive these hdtv channels? I had my sat box on, antenna in, and didn't change anything else. Any input would greatly be appreciated! C'ya!
    I have a dish network 811 box. In the local channels section in the setup I just searched for local digital channels then I added them to my channel line up so that I would not have to switch around. You might have to tell the box what the channel number is if it doesn't fin d the one you expect it to find. The local OTA channels are just added to the list.

Hope this helps

Forum Regular
    I have tried that also, but I think the problem I am having is that my tv is dowstairs and can't receive the channels clearly with an off air antenna. Can receive the local channels in HD also? Thanks again for your help!

Forum Regular
    I have tried that also, but I think the problem I am having is that my tv is dowstairs and can't receive the channels clearly with an off air antenna. Can receive the local channels in HD also? Thanks again for your help!
    My antenna is upstairs but my TV is downstairs. I jsut ran some RF-6 (co-ax) down to the tv.

Yep, ABC,CBS,NBC,UPN, and WB are all in HD.

Forum Regular
    I will try that. Is the antenna you purchased an amolified HDTV antenna or just your basic rabbit ear antenna w/o a signal booster? Thanks again! Sorry about all the Q's...just trying to get my local channels in HD. Later

Forum Regular
    I will try that. Is the antenna you purchased an amolified HDTV antenna or just your basic rabbit ear antenna w/o a signal booster? Thanks again! Sorry about all the Q's...just trying to get my local channels in HD. Later

Don't worry about the questions.

Remember that there is no such thing as aHDTV antenna. OTA HDTV is sent on the UHF band just like regular tv. Just get a cheap amplified antenna that does UHF and VHF. I use the RCA ANT 1250. IT works as good as anything I can get. It is impossible for me to get a better signal using anything else. I get a 85 - 90% signal. All you need to get a perfect HDTV picture is 49%.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...41706?v=glance

Here something to think about. This antenna sells for $25 at Target but BestBuy sells it in their "HDTV Antenna" Section for $50.
    Don't get ripped off.

The only difference the big expensive antenna is it allows you to pick up signals from farther away. But you said that you are close to all the signals. More range means that you will just get duplicate channels.. how many ABC channels do you need. You might get to see a different football game due to blackouts but is that a huge deal?

Have fun

Forum Regular
    I went through my sat box to scan for the local channels. it picked them up, but it said they were all analog signals, not digital. Then when I pulled the channels up on my tv, they were very fuzzy. My regular local digital channels through my sat box was much better. I did not run my antenna upstairs though. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks!!!!

Forum Regular
    I went through my sat box to scan for the local channels. it picked them up, but it said they were all analog signals, not digital. Then when I pulled the channels up on my tv, they were very fuzzy. My regular local digital channels through my sat box was much better. I did not run my antenna upstairs though. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks!!!!
    Which Sat box do you have. I have to set mine to look for OTA Digital or analog. Sound like yours is looking for analog. Getting it out of the basement will help.

Forum Regular
    HEY! I finally got my sat box to receive digital channels. i have a Toshiba DST3000 and I had to enter my zip code. Once I did this it picked up all the digital and analog channels available on VHF and UHF. I am picking up about 4 channels by using just a regular RCA (not amplified) antenna that is downstairs with my tv. I will purchase an amplified antenna like yours and see if I can pick more digital ch's up. The ones that do come in have a GREAT picture! Talk to ya later!

Forum Regular
    HEY! I finally got my sat box to receive digital channels. i have a Toshiba DST3000 and I had to enter my zip code. Once I did this it picked up all the digital and analog channels available on VHF and UHF. I am picking up about 4 channels by using just a regular RCA (not amplified) antenna that is downstairs with my tv. I will purchase an amplified antenna like yours and see if I can pick more digital ch's up. The ones that do come in have a GREAT picture! Talk to ya later!
    AWESOME!!! I happy for ya. I know how it feels to get something like that to work.

I 'm glad I could help. Now you can watch monday night football and stuff.

There is quite few things broadcast in HD now over the mojor networks. Keep in mind that it is not 24/7 usually only the primetime stuff and maybe some college ball. In the afternoon.

Check out ABC CBS and NBC's website for a schedule of HD Shows.

Now you are cookin with gas.

SOME NEW ~$250 sony models coming out next month will upscale to 1080i
    Sony str-da2000es Digital Amp
    Proac Tablette Ref 8 Monitor
    Definitive Technology Prosub 80 Subwoofer
    sony dvp775 Video
    jamo 661K4 Monitor
    jamo E6CEN Monitor

Forum Regular

Progressive scan is all you need

I also have a 65" Mits tv. I have a JVC progressive scan DVD player hooked up with
    the component (r,g,b) cable. With the DVD player set to progressive scan I get great
    picture quality. It may not be HD but it is really close. Remember a DVD player outputs
    480p and 1080i is the same as 540p. So your not missing that much information. Make
    sure the DVD player is set to widescreen or 16:9. You want to minimize any alterations
    that the TV or the DVD player will make to fit the screen.

Have fun!

Forum Regular
    swgiust,
    just wondering if you think going with a dvd player with the faroudja dcdi chip or silicon image would make that much difference in pic quality compared to a progressive scan player. I have a 65" mitsu hdtv w/ progressive scan and didn't know if i should upgrade or not? just wondering also if you have been able to tweak your settings to where your satellite or cable channels are clear. i know these 1080i projectors pick out all the imperfections if you aren't watching in digh def. Thanks!

Forum Regular

DVD progressive

Going with a DVD player with a faroudja chip is always a good idea. They are a well
    know company who have worked in the "scaling / line doubling" arena for a long time.
    These DVD players are still progressive scan. They just use this chip in the process.

Your TV should be giving you pretty good picture on all sources. Make sure that your
    video settings are properly set. Some of my settings: Sharpness-less than half,
    contrast-right at half, brightness-right at half, color-slightly less than half, iris-off.
    Also check you convergence. This makes a huge difference. I check my normal
    red/blue once or twice a month, and i do the full 64 point every other month or so.
    Lastly, make sure you screen is clean. I have noticed that when i clean my screen,
    the image is much brighter and clearer. i use windex and it seems to work fine.

good luck,

Have fun!!!

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I will check all my settings along with my convergence. Overall, the pic is GREAT with DVD, but could improve when I'm watching satellite. Progressive scan and high def has made us all a little bit spoiled. Do you still have your protective screen on or have you experimented with this before? It seems you would have much less glare w/o it, but didn't know if it would help sharpen the pic quality. Thanks again!

Forum Regular

ecost.com

Thanks. I will check all my settings along with my convergence. Overall, the pic is GREAT with DVD, but could improve when I'm watching satellite. Progressive scan and high def has made us all a little bit spoiled. Do you still have your protective screen on or have you experimented with this before? It seems you would have much less glare w/o it, but didn't know if it would help sharpen the pic quality. Thanks again!
    Hey Saul!
    I just got a refurbed Denon with a Faroudja Chip for $125 from the authorized denon dealer.

www.Ecost.com. Check them out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information