Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAFS264
    Read Hershon posts # 8,10,15,17. Don't you dare make us out to be the bad guy here. Hershon brings on his own problems. We all give him advice. And when Hershon doesn't like the answer......he gets lippy and gives the attitude. I know you guys are friends, but come on.......
    Wouldnt know him if he sat next to me,i'm just trying to help him out here and there. Besides,i want to be your friend.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    It's not the "advice" I'm objecting too, its the personal direct insult to me given along with the advice. All I asked was a simple question that if you have a widescreen HD TV player and the widescreen DVD you rent is letterbox format, do you prefer to expand your TV picture or not? That isn't rocket science or asking someone to reveal personal sensitive secrets! I just got one straight answer from Kexodusk and a bunch of crap from everyone else personally criticising me for asking such a question. You people think I should smile & be greatful when someone offers "advice" and then says words to the effect "you are an idiot, moron" et all. Sorry, that's not acceptable to me. And I don't care if someone is Mother Therasa if they treat me like a chump, I'll respond in kind. That's how I was raised in the hood.
    Well, Hershon ol' boy, I'd vote for smiling, leaving the hood behind, and not making everybody else responsible for your woes. After all, peace has to start somewhere, and all we should do here is discuss A/V and be civil. I'll bet there's a lot of information in this thread that you didn't have before you began it. No offense intended; none taken I hope.

Ed

AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Wouldnt know him if he sat next to me,i'm just trying to help him out here and there. Besides,i want to be your friend.

We are friends!!

Kiss your "but"? Thanx for the invite, but I think I'll decline.

Again, I'll like what I want to like and I don't need you or anyone else here to dictate my tastes. Just because someone directed a movie and I don't respect his artistic vision or him doesn't mean I'm not allowed to see the movie. When after everything is said and done, I don't really care what the director intended, just that I was entertained by the movie. I'd be more entertained if I could watch a lousy widescreen DVD that wasn't in a letterbox format. Expanding the TV picture format is not a satisfactory solution to me, it distorts the picture.
    If you want that to happen and the issue means that much to you, then go ahead and start your letterwriting campaign to the studio heads and the directors' and cinematographers' guilds. If enough likeminded viewers agree with you, then they'll have no choice but to respond to that demand. If your issue is viewed as an isolated crackpot idea, then they'll respond accordingly in that case as well.

It would not cost these companies superbig bucks to also offer a full sized nonletterboxed
    movie as a picture option. There are plenty of nonwidescreen DVD's that I know of that give one the option to watch the movie in letterbox or full screen format.
    And how many of those DVDs have you seen lately? Aside from a few kiddie pics, not many have come out recently. Only with early non-anamorphic releases did you see a lot of those combination DVDs, and most of them are one by one getting replaced by higher quality anamorphically enhanced versions with no pan & scan option (just this week, the new release of The Mask replaced the previous two-format release). Nowadays, the studios are only putting out pan & scan versions because they know that it's a temporary stopgap measure until the market transitions over to 16x9 TVs. Once demand for 4x3 pan & scan dries up, I doubt they'll turn right around and start doing dual 16x9 versions. I just don't see the demand for that.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by cam
    "The option to watch widescreen on a full screen", your quote, I do believe I saw a picture of your system when you posted a while back. I do believe you have a widescreen tv from what I saw from your previous posted pictures. If you own a widescreen tv, why would you want to watch a widescreen formatted dvd in full screen. You are the biggest moron to hit these forums since Lexmark 3200. If you are watching a widescreen dvd on a full screen tv, simply just zoom in and that widescreen movie now becomes a fullscreen movie. Dink.

Well, well, well......just a matter of time until someone mentioned my name again eh, Cam? If I am the biggest moron to hit this forum since this guy posting, YOU have to be the world's biggest **** wad-----and I mean this from the bottom of my heart. Sons of *****es like you who prey on people who come in here to ask questions regarding aspect ratios, audio geometries and whatever rhetoric they would like to speak about should be chained to the back of a Long Island Rail Road train face down and left to die.....but, my darling Cam, thats MY opinion and I still challenge you and love ya for all the attention you give me! YOU, my friend, are the moron, plain and simple.

Lets get back to this widscreen aspect ratio issue because I have been sharing some thoughts on it on other sites and in other publications I write for; the set I am using now (and this is directed not to the ****-off known as Cam but to the original poster of this thread) is a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen, and I too had issues with widescreen DVDs not playing back "correctly" or so I thought when I first used the set....the facts of the matter are these: if set at STANDARD mode, which my Mitsu calls it, DVDs that are ANAMORPHICALLY ENHANCED for 16X9 sets will play back with more or less black space according to their ratio sizes; those like 1:78 or 1:85 will not show any black areas (or SHOULD NOT show any black areas if your set "overscans" like mine does) and the DVD image will fill the entire widescreen. The wider scope films like 2:35:1 play back on widescreen sets with small letterboxing to the top and bottom of the image; this is 100 percent normal. You can use a zoom feature of a widescreen TV to fill in the black areas of a 2:35 DVD, but that just causes you to lose characters to the left and right of a scene if the DVD is widescreen; I confirmed this using a chapter of Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

Now, IF a DVD is NOT ANAMORPHICALLY ENHANCED for 16X9 TVs, then in STANDARD mode (or whatever your TV calls it), the image will appear with MASSIVE black areas to the top and bottom, and the movie will appear very, very thin and unwatchable; this is because it has NOT been enhanced for 16X9 sets, something that is a CRIME in today's technology (only a handful of mainly Disney/Buena Vista early releases like Con Air, Armageddon and Crimson Tide come non-anamorphic). To compensate for this, we need to go into the TV's zoom controls, and use some mode to make the black letterboxing reduced and increase the size of the movie image; on my Mitsubishi, its called EXPAND MODE, and this is the ONLY way I can watch non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs.

One more thing......**** you, Cam.
    Love ya, babe!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Ahem...moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Well, well, well......just a matter of time until someone mentioned my name again eh, Cam? If I am the biggest moron to hit this forum since this guy posting, YOU have to be the world's biggest **** wad-----and I mean this from the bottom of my heart. Sons of *****es like you ....

One more thing......**** you, Cam.
    Love ya, babe!
    I know you guys are busy driving away ar.com members by moving (god forbid) off-topic threads in the Rave-Recs forum that contained no malicious content, only good spirited conversation between a close-knit community...but perhaps you could find the time to end this type of degenerative posting too?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I know you guys are busy driving away ar.com members by moving (god forbid) off-topic threads in the Rave-Recs forum that contained no malicious content, only good spirited conversation between a close-knit community...but perhaps you could find the time to end this type of degenerative thread too?
    Well, Kexo, I guess it was perfectly fine for Cam to call me a "moron".......that was alright? And I cannot defend myself, is that the way it works? It was perfectly fine to say to Hershon ".....you are one of the biggest morons ever to tour this thread since Lexmark....." and that was perfectly acceptable, is that it? THAT was not degenerative? AT ALL?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Lightbulb

Well, Kexo, I guess it was perfectly fine for Cam to call me a "moron".......that was alright? And I cannot defend myself, is that the way it works? It was perfectly fine to say to Hershon ".....you are one of the biggest morons ever to tour this thread since Lexmark....." and that was perfectly acceptable, is that it? THAT was not degenerative? AT ALL?
    Sorry Lex...Nothing personal.
    It was just easier to use your post (it was the last one)...

Er...please don't call me a ****wad

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Morons! All of you!

Yes, you too!

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Now your getting it. Some feel they have the right to do it but by god you better not do it back.
    Look & Listen

Resident DVD Reviewer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Sorry Lex...Nothing personal.
    It was just easier to use your post (it was the last one)...

Er...please don't call me a ****wad

No, Kexo.....you would never be considered a **** wad, my good friend!

Resident DVD Reviewer

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Now your getting it. Some feel they have the right to do it but by god you better not do it back.
    Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..........

cam
    OK, sorry to talk behind your back, but this whole aspect ratio talk just smacked back to when you just couldn't get a grip on aspect ratios. I mean you were hopeless. We had many members go through it with you from all different angles imaginable and you (hopefully you know a little about aspect ratios Lexmark) have indeed figured it out now. In general you are not a moron and I do appologize, but you were a hopeless moron on that whole aspect ratio thread many moons ago. Actually, I'm kinda glad your back, at least your funny. Hey Lex, I know you got accused of having multiple names (and personalities) before, but it seems kinda wierd that all of a sudden you have popped back up. Your not hershon also are you?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    OK, sorry to talk behind your back, but this whole aspect ratio talk just smacked back to when you just couldn't get a grip on aspect ratios. I mean you were hopeless. We had many members go through it with you from all different angles imaginable and you (hopefully you know a little about aspect ratios Lexmark) have indeed figured it out now. In general you are not a moron and I do appologize, but you were a hopeless moron on that whole aspect ratio thread many moons ago. Actually, I'm kinda glad your back, at least your funny. Hey Lex, I know you got accused of having multiple names (and personalities) before, but it seems kinda wierd that all of a sudden you have popped back up. Your not hershon also are you?
    You are so full of ****, its not even funny......yes I am back and willing to dish back to you WHATEVER you give to me; and let the fun and games begin!

You are completely full of **** regarding what you were trying to "make me" understand, though, thats whats funny.....

And no, I am not Hershon, but it seems again you need to bully some poor soul from behind your computer screen with online harassment; nothing ever changes, is what they say.....and dickheads like Cam prove it all the time. THIS is cause for laughs, dude. Just keep pickin on Hershon because he asked a question and tried to voice an opinion to those who think they are God almighty himself in here.....such a pity.....

Still love ya though!

cam
    You are so full of ****, its not even funny......yes I am back and willing to dish back to you WHATEVER you give to me; and let the fun and games begin!

You are completely full of **** regarding what you were trying to "make me" understand, though, thats whats funny.....

And no, I am not Hershon, but it seems again you need to bully some poor soul from behind your computer screen with online harassment; nothing ever changes, is what they say.....and dickheads like Cam prove it all the time. THIS is cause for laughs, dude. Just keep pickin on Hershon because he asked a question and tried to voice an opinion to those who think they are God almighty himself in here.....such a pity.....

Still love ya though!
    At least your funny, a little angry too, but funny!

Try to stick around more, maybe I'll need you to lay some smack on somebody for me.

P.S. What's new?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    At least your funny, a little angry too, but funny!

Try to stick around more, maybe I'll need you to lay some smack on somebody for me.

P.S. What's new?
    Nah, Im not really angry; I was just saying that I felt you were full of it because I never disputed anything with you or anyone else regarding "aspect ratios"; from what I recall, my "issues" or "problems" always lied in the audio sector, trying to get the best sound from my Onkyo receiver, and wondering if all has been calibrated correctly, etc....

Whats the matter, cant lay the smackdown on someone else yourself? Seems like you are a capable fella....LOL....Im just kiddin' wit cha....I'll be there to back ya up when need be bro....

Whats new? Well, recently relocated to Henderson, Nevada, to be closer with family, and I have been using their surround set up (which I basically put together for them) to enjoy my DVD collection; the problem is, their media room is a MASSIVE room with a 10 foot vaulted cathedral ceiling, with the surrounds up in the ceiling over the sweet spot of the couch, so getting their Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver to fill this room with sound has been a challenge....you REALLY gotta crank that sucker up to get it going in this room.....their other gear consists of a Mitsubishi 55" rear projection widescreen display, a top of the line Panny DVD player, a Mitsu VCR and Polk center/mains. The mains are rather "mid-sized" bookshelves that sit on glass stands to the left and right of the screen, but I gotta tell you-----without a sub in the system (its actually running 5.0), these Polks still pack a bass wallop during certain intense soundtracks like Saving Private Ryan DTS or U-571 in DTS....I mean, its not like having a dedicated sub, but these things can rumble just a bit......and I keep the receiver's bass on ZERO!

Whats new with you?

cam
    Well your kinda hitting a sore spot with me. Last year I was planning on finally getting a big wide screen tv to replace my 27 incher. Last year I was thinking early spring this year I will drop some money. Well, my furnace blew up in November, $2900, and my roof started leaking like a sive in February, POOF $8800 buck later. I'm a poor man right now so I'm now planning on getting a new 50+ inch bigscreen next year, I HOPE!

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Well your kinda hitting a sore spot with me. Last year I was planning on finally getting a big wide screen tv to replace my 27 incher. Last year I was thinking early spring this year I will drop some money. Well, my furnace blew up in November, $2900, and my roof started leaking like a sive in February, POOF $8800 buck later. I'm a poor man right now so I'm now planning on getting a new 50+ inch bigscreen next year, I HOPE!

**** bro that sucks.....I hear ya.....I was running a 27" Sony Trinitron 4:3 TV up until I made this move to my family's house, and now watching widescreen DVDs on their 55" Mitsubishi has been like night and day...I love it, especially with the surround audio.

I dont think I can ever go back to watching non-fullscreen DVDs on those 27" 4:3 sets.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information