Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm happy with my rig, so right now I'm wishing for other things:

1) Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Chrono (tan strap, thank you very much)

2) E92 M3 that's reasonably priced (not likely, but it is a wish list)

3) Disney Vacation in October

4) Tama/DW/Zildjian kits for the kids

5) Another USC National Championship (I'm not kidding. This is important dammit!)

6) America grows up and ends its ridiculous obsession with celebrity.

7) Paris Hilton must die (or at the very least move to wherever Michael Jackson is.)

8) A car that makes 450hp, weighs 2500lbs, gets 35mpg, and isn't made by Toyota.

9) Pink Floyd reunites...and actually means it this time!

10) Less watching...more doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    My next upgrade will be to go to a separate HT processor and amp. The prices for a good 5.1 processor (don't have room for 6.1 or 7.1 setup) these days are almost dirt cheap.

With a budget of $2K for both a processor and 5 channel amp, any suggestions? Brands of choice include Arcam, Krell, B&K, Anthem, Myryad, Aragon and of course, Rotel.
    That's my goal someday too. With your budget, I'd definitely go used, especially for the amp end of it. I priced a Rotel separates set up at about $2700, but looking at Audiogon, you can get some serious deals even on the most recent models. What I might end up doing is buying a used 5-channel amp (again, someday) and buy the processor new.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    3) Disney Vacation in October

Perhaps I'll see ya there!

Forum Regular
    Well let's see:
    speakers my jm labs say i am good to go.
    display 51 inch rear projection hdtv,good to go
    cd player,arcam good for now,possible tube upgrade later
    dvd player cambridge audio,ok for now,but there will be an upgrade next spring.If there is a winner in the hd dvd/blue ray battle,if not possible arcam dvd137
    reciever-cambridge audio good for now,but also future upgrade.I would like a reciever or processor devoid of usless features and long on sound quality.I don't need autosetup,video switching,dozens of dsp modes or anything else that uses resources that should go to sound quality.
    also various wire,power and treatment upgrades will happen as time and money allow.

bill

Mid-Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    My next upgrade will be to go to a separate HT processor and amp. The prices for a good 5.1 processor (don't have room for 6.1 or 7.1 setup) these days are almost dirt cheap.

With a budget of $2K for both a processor and 5 channel amp, any suggestions? Brands of choice include Arcam, Krell, B&K, Anthem, Myryad, Aragon and of course, Rotel.
    Jazz,

Krell HTS, Proceed AVP and Lexicon DC2 will give you the best value.

I think three 2-channel amps( one bridged) will beat one 5-channel amp in weight, performance and flexibility, but may not cost more. I am doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by minye
    Jazz,

Krell HTS, Proceed AVP and Lexicon DC2 will give you the best value.

I think three 2-channel amps( one bridged) will beat one 5-channel amp in weight, performance and flexibility, but may not cost more. I am doing it.
    Thanks!

I've been patroling audiogon and spearitsound.com for Lexicon and Krell processors. I really like the Krell HTS, since it does both HT and stereo very well.

I will probably go with a single 5 channel amp, because I have limited space for components. But then again, with amps, I can always find a solution that will work for my space limitations.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

I keep looking at Audiogon also, but if I was going to spend $1000+ I would want to go to my trusting local dealer, or reputable webseller.

VPI Scout is on my list. But the problem is that if I do get it right now, I know I would want to upgrade my cart, then phono pre-amp. But I'm really satisfied with my TT setup so I'm good for now. Some people may not be able to understand it, but you don't need to spend $2k to hear great music on wax. With a decent deck I think cart and phonopre is more important than exotic TTs.
    I also want to upgrade my tube integrated, but I'm really amazed with sound I get out of it. For under $1000, I could've done any better. But....tube pre and a couple of tube mono-blocks with more than 70 watts would open up my future speaker selections.
    To be slightly more resonable Klipsch La Scala II, Proac Response D38 or even.......

But to be real, I just need more music. After all I got my system for my music.

Wait!!!! Equipment rack. Has anyone seen my photos? It looks like I've been dumpster diving. Well thrift store furniture isnt that much better...

-JRA

well,

1- 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero w/5spd. laser red/black leather with ventilated seats.
    2- HD from Directv...gotta find the right cust.service rep to haggle
    3- 5 channel amp Rotel or Sherbourn
    4- someone that can build retaining walls on the cheap?

lofty i know, but if you can't dream it, you can't reach it.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Tops on my list would be a separate HT room for my current budget system and then go from there. The more I read on this site about what lies out there the more I realize my current "family room/HT" situation just won't cut it. No sense in upgrading components if room considerations/WAF equations create limits.

Build the room and they will come..............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information