• 02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
    bfalls
    What's the Latest on Dishnetwork vs DirectTV?
    After a recent update by Dishnetwork I'm starting to have several issues with my audio and picture quality. Although my satellite signal is consistently good, I'm having an increase of digital breakup, tearing at the top of the screen (on two different TVs one 16x9 the other 4x3), the audio level on HD channels is much lower (on my TV SD is 9, HD 25) and fluctuations in color saturation. The digital breakup and fluctuations have been common with the Vip622 and Dish has replaced it twice.

I emailed a complaint to Dish. The response I get is a tech will need to come out at a $99 charge, but if I add Dish Home Protection the visit drops to $29 and the DHP service only costs me $5.99/month. Cost me? Why should their problems cost me? I've been a loyal customer for many years and currently pay $131/month for their All American pkg w/additional HD and local channels. You'd think they'd want to keep me.

I'm considering going to DirectTV, but want to get feedback here first. I'm not a big team sports fan, but enjoy watching tennis, boxing, UFC, so their sports packages aren't a real draw. I do enjoy HD/Premium programming and can't live without my DVR. Any feedback would be a great help.
  • 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
    ttskyline01
    i would try directv and see what it does. if not, if i were you i would try either verizon fios or att u-verse if it is available in your area
  • 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bfalls
    What's the Latest on Dishnetwork vs DirectTV?

They both suck! :biggrin5:

Sorry, but I agree with what TTskyline01 says. I've got Verizon FIOS and I'll never go back to satellite OR cable.
  • 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
    O'Shag
    Rich, I'm not positive but Isn't Verizon FIOS Dish Network? My son had the verizon package and it was dish network.

Hi BFalls. What a conundrum. I also have the dish network VIP 622 and a tech is coming over today to change my unit. I think part of the problem is that Echostar have changed software for signal tracking, whcih is supposed to greatly improve things. The reason I changed my unit is the hard drive was getting excessively noisy - I knew something was wrong.

My father in law to be has direct tv, and while they don;t really experience problems, their package does not have the same HD programming. If you have the DishNet HD package, you'll know that it includes Voom including such channels as KungFu, MonsterHD, GameHD, Family, Cartoon, World, Equator, Artstar, Film Festival , WorldSportHD etc etc. I couldn't live without these channels now that I have them. I don't think dishnet is perfect (my screen is 70" so any noise is evident) but the picture is no worse that direct TV. I wish Dishnet could send HD video uncompressed but perhaps in the future. Audio is good but again if uncompressed that would be awesome.
  • 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
    O'Shag
    By the way I agree they should NOT charge you as you are a long-term customer with a premium package level. Don't bother talking to the off-shore support people which you will inevitably get outside regular business hours. Call earlier in the morning during regular business hours and if need be talk a to a manager. You should not have to pay for a problem with the receiver IMO.
  • 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
    blackraven
    Threaten them with moving over to direct TV or cable and see if they budge on the service fee. I told comcast I was going to switch to sattelite and they bent over backwards to keep me as a customer.
  • 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
    O'Shag
    I'm afraid Dish Network's customer service quality level has definitely gone downhill as compared to Direct TV. A pity really...
  • 02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Rich, I'm not positive but Isn't Verizon FIOS Dish Network? My son had the verizon package and it was dish network.

Absolutely not O'Shag. Verizon bundles DirecTV service with their DSL package for those who aren't in a FIOS coverage area, but there is no connection between FIOS and Dish. Totally different content delivery method.
  • 02-27-2008, 07:09 AM
    bfalls
    I spoke with Dis-Net, I mean DishNet via email and on the phone asking when my commitment was up so I could switch to Direct TV. They asked why, then read the email communication and pretty much said "Have a nice day".

I haven't been impressed with their service for some time. It took me four months to have the 622 and "superdish" installed because of a shortage of the 422? switch. I remember looking on ebay and seeing a sh*tload of them, so I didn't understand why. The entire time they had my money. It was followed by 5 months of intermittent HD programming. I was finally able to escalate past primary and secondary support to a supervisor and received a refund for the programming.

Since it sounds like Direct TV isn't an upgrade, I'll give them another opportuninty at the end of my billing month. I will check into Verizon. FIOS is supposed to offer high-speed internet access, so may be a double plus. I'll report back. Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.
  • 02-27-2008, 08:35 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

I spoke with Dis-Net, I mean DishNet via email and on the phone asking when my commitment was up so I could switch to Direct TV. They asked why, then read the email communication and pretty much said "Have a nice day".

When D*TV asked me that question I told them it was none of their business. I've learned that being polite and cooperative with ANY company when they're about to lose you as a customer is an invitation to nothing but grief.

Quote:

I haven't been impressed with their service for some time. It took me four months to have the 622 and "superdish" installed because of a shortage of the 422? switch. I remember looking on ebay and seeing a sh*tload of them, so I didn't understand why. The entire time they had my money. It was followed by 5 months of intermittent HD programming. I was finally able to escalate past primary and secondary support to a supervisor and received a refund for the programming.

Since it sounds like Direct TV isn't an upgrade, I'll give them another opportuninty at the end of my billing month. I will check into Verizon. FIOS is supposed to offer high-speed internet access, so may be a double plus. I'll report back. Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.
    I've got 15/2 Mbps. E-mail, internet & VOD = superfast.
  • 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

I'm considering going to DirectTV, but want to get feedback here first. I'm not a big team sports fan, but enjoy watching tennis, boxing, UFC, so their sports packages aren't a real draw. I do enjoy HD/Premium programming and can't live without my DVR. Any feedback would be a great help.

Since you're a new customer, Directv will bend over backwards to get you to switch (as I'm sure your cable company will as well). You'll get the HD receiver paid for, and you'll get the full programming grid for $86 a month for the first year. Plus, if you know someone who already has Directv, have them refer you, and both of you get a $50 credit. Of course, once you're locked in, then you're locked in! :cornut:

If you want to compare, here's Directv's current HD programming grid ...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4380112

and here's Dish Network's HD programming ...

Seems like Directv's HD offerings are more extensive, which should be no surprise considering that they have more satellite capacity than Dish. Normally, Directv's trump card is their sports offerings, but that's not a consideration with you. One drawback would be that they're now going with a relatively new HD DVR receiver. It took them a LOOOOOONG time to finally debug their previous HR-20 model.

I've been using Directv for nearly 10 years, and never had any issues with the picture quality or customer service. When our RCA receiver went kaput, they had a refurbed unit shipped to us within three days. And when we relocated the TV to a different room, a technician had the connection rewired within two days.
  • 02-29-2008, 05:57 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

I wish Dishnet could send HD video uncompressed but perhaps in the future. Audio is good but again if uncompressed that would be awesome.

Won't happen. Uncompressed HD video requires about a 1.5 Gbits/sec data rate, while a satellite signal using MPEG-4 AVC compression uses a data rate of about 7 to 8 Mbits/sec for HD resolution. Blu-ray has a base data rate of about 36 Mbits/sec with the drive running in 1x mode. Uncompressed HD video would require an exponential leap in bandwidth to feasibly transmit it to end users, and satellite providers are having a hard enough time accommodating the channels that they already have.
  • 03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
    alt4
    Quote:

I'm afraid Dish Network's customer service quality level has definitely gone downhill as compared to Direct TV. A pity really...

I used to have Directv and had no problem...now have Dish and already have had an issue with billing.
  • 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
    bfalls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Since you're a new customer, Directv will bend over backwards to get you to switch (as I'm sure your cable company will as well). You'll get the HD receiver paid for, and you'll get the full programming grid for $86 a month for the first year. Plus, if you know someone who already has Directv, have them refer you, and both of you get a $50 credit. Of course, once you're locked in, then you're locked in! :cornut:

If you want to compare, here's Directv's current HD programming grid ...

and here's Dish Network's HD programming ...

Seems like Directv's HD offerings are more extensive, which should be no surprise considering that they have more satellite capacity than Dish. Normally, Directv's trump card is their sports offerings, but that's not a consideration with you. One drawback would be that they're now going with a relatively new HD DVR receiver. It took them a LOOOOOONG time to finally debug their previous HR-20 model.

I've been using Directv for nearly 10 years, and never had any issues with the picture quality or customer service. When our RCA receiver went kaput, they had a refurbed unit shipped to us within three days. And when we relocated the TV to a different room, a technician had the connection rewired within two days.

Hi Woochifer,
    Teh links you provided are the same. No problem, I know what I get on Dish. I spoke with a DTV rep. They provided the following info.

First HD/DVR receiver $99
    Second HD/DVR receiver $199

With discounts and promotions receiving their Premium package with locals and HD
    First three months $70.96
    Following 9 months $112.96
    After the first year monthly fee is $125/month

I'm currently paying $131/month $1572/yr
    If I change to DTV I'll pay $1527.52 first year $1500/yr after.

If programmig is the same or better and I switch I'll save $44.48 the first year and $72 after.
  • 03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
    O'Shag
    I replaced my VIP622 unit with the 722 (current top-of-the-line). Supposedly the same but the 722 has higher storage. Funny then that the picture on the 722 looks better than my previous 622 unit. go figure..

I just found out that Direct TV offers Speed Channel in HiDef, which DishNet does not. This is a bummer as I like Formula One, AMLS, and Nascar.