AR Newbie Registered Member

whats a DPR reciever????

i have decieded to upgrade my sound system in my tv room (not necessrilly the speakers themselves but maybe change from 5.2 to 7.2) and most importantly my souround sound reciever (my old onkyo is great for music but is lacking for movies). i really like harman kardons avr 7300, and i almost decided to purchase it until i discovered digital processing recievers. whats the real difference between these and other recievers? whats the costs and benefits to purchasing a DPR reicever? does sound quality suffer with these? i know i need to listen to one myself to really decide but i cant imagine that a DPR reciever weighing 20 lbs will be able to produce equal power and sound quality as a reciever that weighs 50- 60 lbs.

thanks alot for anyone's advice

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wowholmes
    i have decieded to upgrade my sound system in my tv room (not necessrilly the speakers themselves but maybe change from 5.2 to 7.2) and most importantly my souround sound reciever (my old onkyo is great for music but is lacking for movies). i really like harman kardons avr 7300, and i almost decided to purchase it until i discovered digital processing recievers. whats the real difference between these and other recievers? whats the costs and benefits to purchasing a DPR reicever? does sound quality suffer with these? i know i need to listen to one myself to really decide but i cant imagine that a DPR reciever weighing 20 lbs will be able to produce equal power and sound quality as a reciever that weighs 50- 60 lbs.

thanks alot for anyone's advice

I'll be honest with you, my store just started carrying Harmon Kardon, and for the price point it's pretty garbage. The price points pretty much match up exactly with Denon, and the denon recievers put out way nicer sound (we compared them on 2 different sets of speakers, exact same speakers for both)

So yeah, just thought I'd say....

Thread Information