Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by snodog
    Oh my god this is confusing! I have a Marantz sr6200 that I like alot but it only has two digital optical inputs and is a pain in the ass for me to keep changing in the back for multiple items. I have a new ps3 which to me has great sound and was thinking about updating my receiver with the HDMI.
    What then would I do if I was to purchase a new 7.1 cd player? Does that use the direct seven seperate cables or do I want to use digital?
    You could also use your coax digital inputs.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Well a quick search of google well give you all kinds of info on each.

Your PS3 can playback SACDs so your already OK. You will need to purchase a new AVR with at least HDMI 1.1 or up though.

Give the Onkyo 605 a try. Hard to beat for a little over $400.

Forum Regular
    Damn that is a nice looking piece for the price! I think its time to update. Thanks alot I was hoping to get some direction on a new unit to buy.

AR Newbie Registered Member

More questions

I’d like to ask a couple of questions.

JLT have you hooked up your new Plasma and HD DVR to your B&K AVR507 yet? If so how did you decide to hook it up and what did you use? How is it and what would you do different if anything?

L.J. I’m in a similar situation; I will be upgrading my video system to the Panasonic TH-50PZ700U Plasma, DMP-BD30K Blu-Ray and HD DVR from Time Warner Cable. I will be using HDMI cables between the Plasma and HD DVR and the Plasma and Blue-Ray. I will use a Digital Optical between the Plasma and my B&K AVR202. In your opinion, is this the best way to hook these units up? Thanks for all the info.

Suspended
    Motts, that would work. The audio would remain digital until reaching your receiver so it should be fine.

If you receiver has multi-channel analog input you might want to use the DMP-30's multi-channel output to take advantage of the HD audio formats on Blu-ray.

It's interesting how HDMI is turning the whole industry around, the push used to be decoding in the receiver, now it's decoding in the disc player. Our receiver used to be the switcher, now it could become the TV.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I am looking at buying at B&K AVR507 s2 for $395. Does this seem reasonable for this receiver? I know that it doesn't have HDMI but I can work around that. I haven't been able to see any prices for a AVR507 s2.
    Does anyone know if you can send this to B&K and get it upgraded to have HDMI. I know that B&K was bought in 2010 by ATI.
    Thanks

Suspended
    B&K is a bit better than your average HT receiver, however, that still seems a bit high to me, for that or a bit more you can get a fully featured current model HT receiver. I'm sure the B&K could not be upgraded as that would practically be rebuilding it. I would forget the B&K and look for a current model, even if you weren't interested in 3D, streaming or 4k there are still good buys on HDMI capable receivers.

Unfortunately, B&K went out of business about 3 years ago. I believe ATI was going to take them over and try and keep the B&K brand going. Check BKcomp.com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!! I was halfway through this before I realized the original post was from 2007! I didn't know HDMI'd been around THAT long!!!

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!! I was halfway through this before I realized the original post was from 2007! I didn't know HDMI'd been around THAT long!!!

Worf
    LOL, I did the same thing! How times have changed in, er...6 years!

@mtbg, I agree with everyone else that you'd be far better served by a modern avr that can handle the current (and future) formats such as DTS Master & 4K. I picked up a Marantz SR5008 on ebay, NIB w/ extended warranty for $650. It plays all of my BD's in DTS Master/Dolby HD and was incredibly easy to set up. Because video processing is advancing at breakneck speed and almost everything outputs via HDMI now, older avr's simply aren't as viable for HT service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information