cam

100hz setting sounds better?

Let me start by saying I always prefer something over another, but then things change. One month I swear DD Prologic Music is king, all my cd's sound awesome and then they don't sound so good anymore and good ol' 2 channel sounds awesome. But then it doesn't sound loud enough anymore and now 5 channel stereo is king. But then all of a sudden things sound too tinny and DDPL2 music is king again. I'm always changing. When I spl all my channels I sometimes keep all channels level to one another and things sound great, and then the next day I add 1 db to the center and 1 or 2 db to the surrounds and I think I am in HT heaven, but then the next day I level it all out again and it sounds better. I'm always changing. But recently I change my standard 80hz crossover setting to 100hz and wham. More detail, clearer sound, and all with no more or less boom then I had at 80 hz. I have my sub in the front right corner just outside my front right main and there is no way I can tell where the lows are coming from with my 100hz setting. I really can't explain this (why everything sounds way better) but maybe it just sounds better for now because it is different then normal, and sooner or later 80hz will sound better again????

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I seem to recall you're using a PW-2200 with Monitor 7's. You might be getting some rome interaction around the 80 Hz crossover point...Try 60 or even 40 hz, and turn the bass up a bit...

Nothing wrong with 100Hz as a crossover, but if you notice that you can actually hear where the subwoofer is in the room (the sub giving itself away) you might want to drop it back if it bothers you.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I seem to recall you're using a PW-2200 with Monitor 7's. You might be getting some rome interaction around the 80 Hz crossover point...Try 60 or even 40 hz, and turn the bass up a bit...

Nothing wrong with 100Hz as a crossover, but if you notice that you can actually hear where the subwoofer is in the room (the sub giving itself away) you might want to drop it back if it bothers you.
    I don't have any settings lower then 80hz with my denon 1804. But when I changed it recently to 100 hz, my 7's, cc370, and adp370's became more clear and precise. Airy for lack of a better word, and my bass with my pw2200 became fuller and started hitting harder all while not giving it's location away with my 100hz setting. I think my denon performs better at 100hz. I used the pod race on starwars (phanteom menace), as my demo and everything right now sounds better in everyway at 100hz as opposed to 80hz. Maybe it sounds better to me because it is different and sooner or later I will tweak it back to 80hz. I'm always tweaking, what a hobby.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    If it for you,go wiuth it. I go back and forth with 60 or 80Hz.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information