Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    miami,fl
    Posts
    88

    what is considered small,med,or large for rooms?

    I hear alot about people describing their rooms as small,medium or large rooms.What minimum measurements are considered for each .I mean like my room is 19.5 x 22.5 with 8' cealing would this be considered small,med. or large.Just trying to get an idea as to when people describe their rooms for ht etc.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    It's Small

    If you're over 7' foot tall you have no choice but to consider it small. I have 10 million to my name. Am I considered rich or am I just a poor millionaire? I use Ebay as a hobby.


    Quote Originally Posted by enrique
    I hear alot about people describing their rooms as small,medium or large rooms.What minimum measurements are considered for each .I mean like my room is 19.5 x 22.5 with 8' cealing would this be considered small,med. or large.Just trying to get an idea as to when people describe their rooms for ht etc.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    If you're over 7' foot tall you have no choice but to consider it small. I have 10 million to my name. Am I considered rich or am I just a poor millionaire? I use Ebay as a hobby.
    ???????/that made absolutely no sence to me, ?

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    ???????/that made absolutely no sence to me, ?
    I think you meant seance. Wilt Chamberlin communicated that to me during the sence.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    I think Herson is drunk again.

  6. #6
    IRG
    IRG is offline
    Forum Regular IRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I think Herson is drunk again.
    I think so too. Maybe time for him not to frequent this board so much. I really wouldn't miss his witty posts all that much. As for room size to the original poster, I don't know if there is really an absolute number we can give you. Your room seems like a medium to large room size, that being in a typical home. Small room would be a bedroom type size, in the 10 x 12 range, mdeium in the 15 x 20 range and large over that. Of course cathedral ceilings and all that do add to the overall size. And some custom homes have really huge open family rooms that might be considered extra large.

    But your room overall is medium, close to being large. IMO.

  7. #7
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    I'm glad its not up to you who is allowed here or did they make you boss and i missed it?
    No such animal as a typical home but for a kitchen,2 bedrooms and a bath. Size will differ from east coast to west coast. 50's home way different then a newer home so if your lets say buying a sub,ask the sub maker about the size of your room and see what they say. My big den could be med to others.
    Look & Listen

  8. #8
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    I think Hershon's response is just an eccentric reaction to what others would say more straightforwardly: room size is more relative than standard or absolute. I'm in a large bedrrom: 16X12, yet by audio standards, most would quip that it's a small room. I've seen living rooms in apts that are small than my current bedroom. There's also the question of open architecture or not. For instance, in a bedroom, you're talking about an enclosed room, but for a living/family room in a house or apt. you're talking, more likely than not, about more open space which needs to be accounted for acoustically beyond the arbitrary delineations of room boundaries.

  9. #9
    IRG
    IRG is offline
    Forum Regular IRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    I'm glad its not up to you who is allowed here or did they make you boss and i missed it?
    No such animal as a typical home but for a kitchen,2 bedrooms and a bath. Size will differ from east coast to west coast. 50's home way different then a newer home so if your lets say buying a sub,ask the sub maker about the size of your room and see what they say. My big den could be med to others.
    Chill. Did I say he shouldn't be allowed here? No, I just mentioned I wouldn't miss his posts so much, especially the ones that aren't the least bit helpful and coherent. You did read his replies correct? Anyway, I still think we can basically assign parameters to room size. No one (except maybe you) would disagree with a 10 x 12 room as small. And a 25 x 50 room as large. I guess it's the size in the middle that gets murky. There's always going to be some guesswork involved to an extent on determining what is the best size speakers/sub for rooms. And starting with asking the manufacturer as you suggested is a good place to start.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911
    Given the parameters of the room he stated, 19.5 x 22.5 with 8' ceiling with an "i" , wouldn't that be large to anyone except someone 7 feet tall- so what's your problem? In regard to my seance for Wilt Chamberlin, the previous poster brought that up, not me, although seance is not spelled sence.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland area (Streamwood, IL)
    Posts
    489
    Seance? Now we're talking- I'm sure everyone's into some type of spiritualistic gathering in your small/medium/large size room! Now this is all starting to make sense.

    Back to the original question- good point regarding room sizes. It's funny because different speaker companies have recommendations for subwoofers depending on room size. For example, you'll read something like, "This 10" subwoofer performs best in medium to large size rooms." It would be nice if it read something like, "This 10" subwoofer performs best in rooms betweem 300 to 500 sq ft." That would also not be very descriptive because of vaulted ceilings and open floor plans. Maybe we should be talking volume... okay, maybe just demo a subwoofer and see how it sounds; however, it is nice to have a starting point though.

  12. #12
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326
    Room size is a MAJOR factor with sound reproduction, and specifically what speakers you purchase. Unless you have a room with at least 16 feet of debth, I would not reccomend planars. It's not that they don't sound good close up, they do, but for them to sould best you want them 4ft from the front wall. In a 12ft deep room they would dominate the whole room.

    Subs are another BIG factor as Eric Z points out. I've heard good 10" subs that would be plenty for a 16' X 12' X 8' room, but as you get over that you really have to go up quickly to match the same SPL. My main listen room, although nominally 16' X 22' with an 11' catherdral ceiling is, because of an open floor plan, effectively 22' X 32' for the bass Bass can get lost in a room this size, and your going to have to budget for a very serious sub if you want to have it at theater levels.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  13. #13
    IRG
    IRG is offline
    Forum Regular IRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    Seance? Now we're talking- I'm sure everyone's into some type of spiritualistic gathering in your small/medium/large size room! Now this is all starting to make sense.

    Back to the original question- good point regarding room sizes. It's funny because different speaker companies have recommendations for subwoofers depending on room size. For example, you'll read something like, "This 10" subwoofer performs best in medium to large size rooms." It would be nice if it read something like, "This 10" subwoofer performs best in rooms betweem 300 to 500 sq ft." That would also not be very descriptive because of vaulted ceilings and open floor plans. Maybe we should be talking volume... okay, maybe just demo a subwoofer and see how it sounds; however, it is nice to have a starting point though.
    Exactly. Now that makes sense Demoing is always preferred, but some sort of starting point does seem to make sense to me. Sort of like painting a room. A gallon of paint will be good for xyz dimensions. Depending on your room size you may need 1, 2 or 3 gallons. I would like to see the subwoofer specialists like SVS, Hsu, Velodyne, etc. put room size recommendations with their subs - as a starting point. Doesn't seem like that would be too impossible.

  14. #14
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Could confuse more then help. To much other then room size to figure in but i agree,some sort of starting guildline.
    Look & Listen

  15. #15
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin

    My main listen room, although nominally 16' X 22' with an 11' catherdral ceiling is, because of an open floor plan, effectively 22' X 32' for the bass Bass can get lost in a room this size, and your going to have to budget for a very serious sub if you want to have it at theater levels.
    I hear that Geoffcin, my new living room is only a few square feet larger with about the same height ceiling, but the two entryways really suck out the bass. 20 X 24 becomes 20 X 38 or so very quickly. Sub placement is a real @#*%$, 6 months later and I still haven't decided where I like it. (well I went sans-sub for about 1/2 of that).

    Almost done my new 15" sealed though, just need to veneer and finish...the WAF won't permit a lovely raw-MDF finish on a 5 cubic foot cabinet. Talk about fussy.

  16. #16
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    378

    room size

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Room size is a MAJOR factor with sound reproduction, and specifically what speakers you purchase. Unless you have a room with at least 16 feet of debth, I would not reccomend planars. It's not that they don't sound good close up, they do, but for them to sould best you want them 4ft from the front wall. In a 12ft deep room they would dominate the whole room.

    Subs are another BIG factor as Eric Z points out. I've heard good 10" subs that would be plenty for a 16' X 12' X 8' room, but as you get over that you really have to go up quickly to match the same SPL. My main listen room, although nominally 16' X 22' with an 11' catherdral ceiling is, because of an open floor plan, effectively 22' X 32' for the bass Bass can get lost in a room this size, and your going to have to budget for a very serious sub if you want to have it at theater levels.
    I have a paradigm ps1000 sub 10 inch,I have it in a 18'by12' room and it is more than enough,i only have one door opening to the room so the bass does not get lost, I guess that is why it is so loud, can hit 108dbs very easy on most dvds i play.

  17. #17
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Below 25Hz? Thats pretty good.
    Look & Listen

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    378

    25hz!

    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Below 25Hz? Thats pretty good.
    Im not sure how low it is playing all i have is a rat shack sound meter, BTW the only time i can get that 108db is during action scenes and explosions,dvds like LOTR which has lots of heavy bass.

  19. #19
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    I'm thinking your missing a lot of LFE with a 10" sub. Its probably better for music then movies. I didnt know what i was missing until i upgraded.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What is considered vintage?
    By soupnazi in forum Vintage Gear
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 01:58 AM
  2. Here's something I never considered before....
    By Monstrous Mike in forum Cables
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 09:26 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 01:30 PM
  4. Why am I considered a newbie
    By Over50 in forum Off Topic/Non Audio
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •