AR Newbie Registered Member

What is the best freq/db for a home audio system

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my home audio system. I have a cerwin vega 10 inch powered sub and an infinity 15 in powered sub. These will obviously handle all my bass. I have all ready ordered DT's mythos 1's for my main's and I am looking at the 3 or the 8 for the center. What I am curious about is when i am looking to buy the center and front/rear surrounds, what types of freq's and db ratings should I look at. The differnce between the 3 (45) and the 8 (38) is 7 Hz. Is this enough (on the top side) to make a difference. When going with the surrounds should I get something that is up around 60 Hz or is 40 HZ suitable. I know in order to have the most sound you want a large range, but how far do I want to go up or down?

When it comes to audio, never go by numbers. Some speakers (on paper) should sound fantasic because of their specs, but in reality, they sound horrible. Most of the time, technical specs are simply a pissing contest. They are often smudged, exaggerated, and sometimes completely un-true. I would go back to the dealer where you bought your mains from and audition the different centre and bookshelf speakers and find ou wich one you like the best - because after all, you are the one that is going to be listening to it. Without listening to them I would go with the biggest centre that they have based on the size of your mains that you have.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    When you say largest center do you mean in terms of frequency range or maybe speaker sizes with in. the 3 would have the largest freq range while the 8 is a larger center with larger speakers in it.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    [QUOTE=mlrtym44]I am currently in the process of rebuilding my home audio system. I have a cerwin vega 10 inch powered sub and an infinity 15 in powered sub. These will obviously handle all my bass. I have all ready ordered DT's mythos 1's for my main's and I am looking at the 3 or the 8 for the center. What I am curious about is when i am looking to buy the center and front/rear surrounds, what types of freq's and db ratings should I look at. The differnce between the 3 (45) and the 8 (38) is 7 Hz. Is this enough (on the top side) to make a difference.[quote]

I would say the 7hz COULD make a difference if your acoustics are well controlled, and the speaker can actually reproduce that frequency. When going for a quality center speaker, you should look for increased vocal intelligibilty, not necessarily frequency response. The center channel MAY have some deep bass ocassionally, but most good re-recording mixers and sound designers don't mix deep bass into the center reserving it mostly for dialog intelligibility. Your sub (and I would not recommend using two different subs, one will do in most setups) can handle any deep bass found in the center channel much more easily than the center speaker itself.

When going with the surrounds should I get something that is up around 60 Hz or is 40 HZ suitable. I know in order to have the most sound you want a large range, but how far do I want to go up or down?
    Keep in mind, subwoofers make having extended range (20-20khz) full range )(40-20khz) speakers unnecessary in the surrounds and center. However, if bass in the surrounds is what you want, then I would go with a full range speaker (40-20khz) as opposed to extended range speakers. Bass coming from all directions makes it even as the speakers interact with different modes and nodes within the room. It requires eq on all speakers which complicates your setup tremedously. I would avoid reproducing the second octave (20-40hz) in the surrounds just for this point.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs