Forum Regular

What to adjust to fix chalky images?

So I rreturn from a business trip to find my brother-n-law (stopped by to check on things) made a few tweeks to my plasma to suit his personal likes. Then tried to return the settings, but he got lost.

Now faces loose detail in the shadows, which look a bit chalky, almost a solid color dark flesh tone. I had the screen calibrated by the custom installer and thought of using a video disc calibrartion to get it back to where it was, but I think its just a matter of a slight tweeking one or two of the controls to bring it back to normal. The image still looks darn good and friends and family don't seem to see what I see. Can some one tell me what to tweek to fix the problem?

Have you tried one of these????

Ok ok. I'll stop.

What I would do is return to factory default settings and see how that does. If you are not happy with the default settings you could either A. buy a calibration disc. B. get an expert to look at it and help calibrate using that disc. C. use your own eyes for adjustments. D. find a DVD that has the THX walk-through for calibration.

Choice D is not the most ideal type of calibration process, but it might help, and would probably be more beneficial than C. Choice B will probably cost money and choice A allows you to keep the disc for future setups and calibration. This is most ideal as you should adjust your set every few months (maybe 2-3 times per year).

Quote Originally Posted by tahitijack
    So I rreturn from a business trip to find my brother-n-law (stopped by to check on things) made a few tweeks to my plasma to suit his personal likes. Then tried to return the settings, but he got lost.

Now faces loose detail in the shadows, which look a bit chalky, almost a solid color dark flesh tone. I had the screen calibrated by the custom installer and thought of using a video disc calibrartion to get it back to where it was, but I think its just a matter of a slight tweeking one or two of the controls to bring it back to normal. The image still looks darn good and friends and family don't seem to see what I see. Can some one tell me what to tweek to fix the problem?
    Plasmas have always had a problem with black level.
    Try adjusting your contrast
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Skies

Thanks, I used one to erase the marks the police drew around his body.

Thread Information