• 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
    What about the other senses?
    As I was doing some work on my HT setup this past weekend, I was thinking about what else could be added that would go beyond sight & sound - after all, we have more senses. While adding olfactory effects would probably not be my first choice, I have considered butt-kickers (Amazon link), but always thought they were a little tacky.

So what else exists on the bleeding edge of uber-expensive HT setups? I could imagine climate altering effects - when you're watching a scene in the snow it would get cold in the room, or wind effects with hidden fans, for example. Of course this would have to be encoded on the disk, or maybe it could be deduced from it? Anyhow, just wondering what's out there...
  • 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    As I was doing some work on my HT setup this past weekend, I was thinking about what else could be added that would go beyond sight & sound - after all, we have more senses. While adding olfactory effects would probably not be my first choice, I have considered butt-kickers (Amazon link), but always thought they were a little tacky.

Forget butt kickers. It is the most unnatural experience I have ever felt. When a door slam shakes the couch, something is definately wrong. I bought them, installed them, and unistalled them in less than a week.

So what else exists on the bleeding edge of uber-expensive HT setups? I could imagine climate altering effects - when you're watching a scene in the snow it would get cold in the room, or wind effects with hidden fans, for example. Of course this would have to be encoded on the disk, or maybe it could be deduced from it? Anyhow, just wondering what's out there...[/QUOTE]

Actually it is D-Box motion system. D-Box is encoded in most action based movies from almost all of the major studios in Hollywood with more than 700 titles encoded. The chairs are expensive as hell ($7000 each) but they have now come out with a platform that can be placed under any comfortable seat. I have two platforms under two theater seats, and the cost came in at about $11,000 dollars for the system. It is not cheap, but is sure is fun.

http://www.d-box.com/

Another big trend that is getting alot of attention is superwide constant height screen systems. These systems stretches (without distortion by the way) most widescreen material to ultra wide 2:40:1 aspect ratio without bars on the top or sides. Two of my larger hometheaters have this system, and along with a slightly curved screen (another trend) the images are breathtaking.