Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool Want to hang onto your old DVD's? It will cost you

    A FRIEND has bought a new receiver, a Denon 391. 200 bucks on sale.
    Now this is a cheap receiver, but it has four HDMI inputs, 3d ready. I am hooking it up
    this weekend.
    NOW SOME have said they are hanging onto their old DVD players.Now, I know this is an entry level machine, but there are no component inputs, none.
    If you want to hook your old DVD player up and its not one of those fake "upconverters"
    with HDMI, forget it unless you want to use composite, or SVHS.
    And there is only one of those.
    If you do want to hang onto your old DVD's, I would suggest a cheap player with HDMI, because it looks like component is gradually going away.
    I mean, not one component? Maybe theres one on your TV,but certainly not more than one.
    Wave of the future. This trend is going to trickle up.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Put the DVD in your blu-ray player?? It's perfectly capable of reading a DVD and decoding MPEG-2 video... since there are Blu-ray discs with MPEG-2 on them anyway, just at higher resolution!

  3. #3
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    I like your verbiage in this post Pix (I tip my hat to you Sir)
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  4. #4
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    I guess it's a good thing that I bought that HD-DVD player then.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I guess it's a good thing that I bought that HD-DVD player then.
    D'oh!

    (So did I - two of them. And quite a few movies. Ugh.)

  6. #6
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by evilspoons
    D'oh!

    (So did I - two of them. And quite a few movies. Ugh.)
    Not to worry. Those movies will play many times, and the player is a great DVD upscaler.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  7. #7
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    If you want to hook your old DVD player up and its not one of those fake "upconverters"
    with HDMI, forget it
    This is a "costly" problem? I have a similar challenge in reverse. While the BR player, HD cable box and monitor all use DVI / HDMI connections, my older NAD receiver doesn't have HDMI connectivity. Solution: plug the audio into the audio receiver and the video into the monitor. Cost? One more button to push when switching sources.

    rw

  8. #8
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    but there are no component inputs, none.
    If you want to hook your old DVD player up and its not one of those fake "upconverters"
    with HDMI, forget it unless you want to use composite, or SVHS.
    And there is only one of those.

    for some reason, this is Denon's new design strategy. their inputs are limited to say at the least. Neither any pre outs, nor discrete surround inputs...

    I'm going with the new Yamaha line for the attic home theatre here, an RX-V667, or 767
    for their price, I think it's one of the better receivers out there. Inputs & outputs to spare, very nice interface, good setup possibilities, lots of features and very good sound, if not as good or better as a denon receiver of the same price...

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  9. #9
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    This is a "costly" problem? I have a similar challenge in reverse. While the BR player, HD cable box and monitor all use DVI / HDMI connections, my older NAD receiver doesn't have HDMI connectivity. Solution: plug the audio into the audio receiver and the video into the monitor. Cost? One more button to push when switching sources.

    rw
    Your better off anyway. I've always preferred a direct connection for video even though my Pioneer receiver can switch them. This goes for component or HDMI.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  10. #10
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I like your verbiage in this post Pix (I tip my hat to you Sir)
    Thank you.
    And yes, you can play DVD on a BLU player, but that means you will need to get a BLU player, and once you get one of those, your interest in DVD will fade, trust me.
    And how long will monitors carry component?
    Maybe its just nostalgia, this connection has been around since shortly after DVD, I
    have several component cables at a hundred or so each. Knew it was going to happen tho, HDMI is just so much better.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  11. #11
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Your better off anyway. I've always preferred a direct connection for video even though my Pioneer receiver can switch them. This goes for component or HDMI.
    You might want to reconsider. Can't speak for Pioneer but my receivers pass through is
    transparent. AND I still have one component dvd player, everything goes through one
    pipe, very convienent.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  12. #12
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    BUT really, SVHS has been around since the mid-eighties, maybe sooner, no hurry to get rid of it, but component is already halfway out the door.
    Oh well.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    SVHS has been around since the mid-eighties, maybe sooner
    April 1987.

    And as for nostalgia, pthhhthtbt. I don't spend a lot of time looking at or petting my cables between my components, I just like to see the picture on the TV. Component cables are difficult to work with (3 wires per video signal, woo hoo), analog, and just generally pointless. Doing digital to analog to digital again is incredibly stupid (i.e. DVD to component cables to LCD TV).

    For what it's worth, data can be sent over HDMI in Y/Pb/Pr or RGB depending on the devices at each end and how it's encoded on the source material.

    One of the problems with sending everything through your receiver is whether the video is processed or not; if you have component in and HDMI out, your receiver is doing ADC and if it's doing a good job it probably takes time. Unless you correct for it (which the receiver should) you will see a delay between your audio and video. Most of the time this goes unnoticed... but try playing a rhythm game like Rock Band/Guitar hero with 100+ ms lag and talk to me again. Ughh.

  14. #14
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    I run all of my units through my Pioneer 81TXV and that includes SVHS VCR, Component SACD/DVD-A/DVD player and HDMI BD player all going out HDMI to LCD, never had any issue with sound lag. Now when I brought my 81TXV, that was one of the things I looked for, was the amount of connections that I would need for my older units and future ones.

    Unless you have the money to upgrade your whole system to use the latest connections, then you may have made a poor choice for your own enjoyment. I still have my unique 6 cassette changer (analog) that I still use from time to time. Just as those that still use a turntable. Now Denon has just limited itself to people that only have the newest items, HDMI connections? anybody have a CD player with HDMI? or a TT a VHS player. HDMI is great and has been through 4 upgrades in as many years, (my AVR is only 4yrs old with 1.2) and now its at 1.4, so does that mean my AVR is obsolete. lets not forget, that HDMI days are limited with CAT6 cable on the horizon, then what? do we all throw out our gear and get new stuff that supports CAT6. Even the gaming industry caught on making sure that each new console can be backward compatible with the large collection of games that many still play. I think this amp/AVR your friend brought is just a starter unit that has limited connections in general and with the 3D support it seems its geared towards those that just brought that new LED 3D TV.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  15. #15
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    And yes, you can play DVD on a BLU player, but that means you will need to get a BLU player, and once you get one of those, your interest in DVD will fade, trust me.
    You're the expert on the concept of "ignorance is bliss"!

    rw

  16. #16
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I run all of my units through my Pioneer 81TXV and that includes SVHS VCR, Component SACD/DVD-A/DVD player and HDMI BD player all going out HDMI to LCD, never had any issue with sound lag. Now when I brought my 81TXV, that was one of the things I looked for, was the amount of connections that I would need for my older units and future ones.

    Unless you have the money to upgrade your whole system to use the latest connections, then you may have made a poor choice for your own enjoyment. I still have my unique 6 cassette changer (analog) that I still use from time to time. Just as those that still use a turntable. Now Denon has just limited itself to people that only have the newest items, HDMI connections? anybody have a CD player with HDMI? or a TT a VHS player. HDMI is great and has been through 4 upgrades in as many years, (my AVR is only 4yrs old with 1.2) and now its at 1.4, so does that mean my AVR is obsolete. lets not forget, that HDMI days are limited with CAT6 cable on the horizon, then what? do we all throw out our gear and get new stuff that supports CAT6. Even the gaming industry caught on making sure that each new console can be backward compatible with the large collection of games that many still play. I think this amp/AVR your friend brought is just a starter unit that has limited connections in general and with the 3D support it seems its geared towards those that just brought that new LED 3D TV.
    It is. Basically a HTIB without speakers or input device.
    He got a Crutchfields today, and at my advice, went with an Onkyo 508.
    Has better amps, Burr Brown dacs, THX, Auddessy, 7.1, and more, for not much more money.
    "Bargain receivers" are never much of a bargain. THE 508 also has two component
    inputs, but I dont know if it will scale component to HDMI. Probably not. Receivers
    in this price range tend to just have video switching that is just that, a switch.
    The main thing is the dacs. My friend loves audio more than HT.
    But with him he might change his mind a dozen times until he buys anything.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  17. #17
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    Glad you were able to show him the light
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  18. #18
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    You're the expert on the concept of "ignorance is bliss"!

    rw
    AND how many VHS tapes did you watch this week?
    When VHS is all you have AND its all you're used to, its fine, tolerable at least.
    I rented three movies this weekend, one a DVD. THE dvd was the best movie(EAZY A,
    rent it) but the video was a bit disappointing after watching Splice on Blu-ray.
    Anyway ignorance must not be bliss, as you are so obviously a miserable cranky old sot.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  19. #19
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Glad you were able to show him the light
    WELL, you wont get audiophile anything in this range of course, but BURR browns
    have to help...some.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  20. #20
    Forum Regular BadAssJazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    376
    Totally off topic -- and hence, off point -- but I haven't seen so many references to VHS and SVHS since I last visited the folks over the holidays. Talk about the Lazarus effect, I don't think my parents will ever let the VHS format (or VCR's for that matter) die completely. They'll be the real life version of George and Martha of the post-apocalyptic Book of Eli , grooving to the "oldies" as it were.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

    http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

  21. #21
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Totally off topic -- and hence, off point -- but I haven't seen so many references to VHS and SVHS since I last visited the folks over the holidays. Talk about the Lazarus effect, I don't think my parents will ever let the VHS format (or VCR's for that matter) die completely. They'll be the real life version of George and Martha of the post-apocalyptic Book of Eli , grooving to the "oldies" as it were.
    I still call recording a CD, ‘taping an album.’
    Recording on my DVR is called, ‘taping a movie.”

    Some things seem to stick with you.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  22. #22
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    I got a little frustrated when I discovered that I couldn't use a regular component cable with the Nintendo Wii. I have to buy one of those multi cables with component and audio on one end and Wii console connection on the other. I won't watch Netflix until I get it. I tried to watch Dexter during the free trial period and it looked awful. I'm not sure how much improvement I'll get with the wii component cable, but I'm determined to try it. Hope it's worth the xtra $$. I'm beginning to wonder if this thing was obsolete out of the box.

  23. #23
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2
    Do you think upconversion in general is bogus? I was kinda hoping I'd be able to use a $20 sony dvd player without much grief. Like your friend I just found an older receiver for 200, an integra dvr 7.4channel. I was never planning to use it for the V part in AV anyway, but if I want to hook it up to watch wayne's world for the 800th time, can I still do that?

  24. #24
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanisgreen
    Do you think upconversion in general is bogus? I was kinda hoping I'd be able to use a $20 sony dvd player without much grief. Like your friend I just found an older receiver for 200, an integra dvr 7.4channel. I was never planning to use it for the V part in AV anyway, but if I want to hook it up to watch wayne's world for the 800th time, can I still do that?
    Not bogus, but the benefits of upconversion have been way oversold, just as progressive scan was years earlier. Upconversion does not add resolution that's not there, and unlike what a lot of the clueless tech writers say, the resulting picture is NOT "near HD" quality.

    Basically, DVD is a 480i format, and features like progressive scan and upconversion don't do you an ounce of good if you still use an analog TV. With fixed pixel TVs (which all flat panel TVs are), the TV will only display the native format. EVERY non-native signal needs to be deinterlaced and scaled just for the TV to display anything correctly.

    If you use a 1080p TV, then any incoming 480i/480p/720p/1080i gets "upconverted" by the TV. If the incoming signal is 1080p, then the TV displays it natively without any further processing. In other words, there's nothing magical about upconversion. If the DVD player doesn't upconvert the signal, then the TV will.

    Any benefits to upconverting DVD players depend on the quality of the video processing circuitry, compared to the processors inside the TV. Early HDTVs generally did a poor job with deinterlacing and scaling, so having a good DVD player did improve the picture quality.

    Nowadays, the video processors that come with HDTVs are much better than they were a few years ago, so the benefit to upconversion has lessened. With newer TVs, you're generally better off using the HDMI connections, because you eliminate a redundant D-A/A-D conversion and newer TVs just seem more adept at handling digital signals than analog ones.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  25. #25
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Not bogus, but the benefits of upconversion have been way oversold, just as progressive scan was years earlier. Upconversion does not add resolution that's not there, and unlike what a lot of the clueless tech writers say, the resulting picture is NOT "near HD" quality.

    Basically, DVD is a 480i format, and features like progressive scan and upconversion don't do you an ounce of good if you still use an analog TV. With fixed pixel TVs (which all flat panel TVs are), the TV will only display the native format. EVERY non-native signal needs to be deinterlaced and scaled just for the TV to display anything correctly.

    If you use a 1080p TV, then any incoming 480i/480p/720p/1080i gets "upconverted" by the TV. If the incoming signal is 1080p, then the TV displays it natively without any further processing. In other words, there's nothing magical about upconversion. If the DVD player doesn't upconvert the signal, then the TV will.

    Any benefits to upconverting DVD players depend on the quality of the video processing circuitry, compared to the processors inside the TV. Early HDTVs generally did a poor job with deinterlacing and scaling, so having a good DVD player did improve the picture quality.

    Nowadays, the video processors that come with HDTVs are much better than they were a few years ago, so the benefit to upconversion has lessened. With newer TVs, you're generally better off using the HDMI connections, because you eliminate a redundant D-A/A-D conversion and newer TVs just seem more adept at handling digital signals than analog ones.
    What he said.
    One more thing. When very "clean" 480i (like non progressive DVD) is de-interlaced
    you get a genuine 480p picture, and when upconverted to the tv's native format tends to
    look quite nice. GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT, basically.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •