Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Wall color for HT

My neighbor is renovating their basement and setting up a HT. The question is, what is the best color for the wall where the screen is located. I've read someplace that the color should be a neutral tone - like gray. His wife prefers lilac (a feng shui color) to match the decor. Does the color of the other walls make a difference.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingus
    My neighbor is renovating their basement and setting up a HT. The question is, what is the best color for the wall where the screen is located. I've read someplace that the color should be a neutral tone - like gray. His wife prefers lilac (a feng shui color) to match the decor. Does the color of the other walls make a difference.
    The proper shade for the front wall should be black. His wife should really stay out of this one, as she is trying to be decorative when in reality this should be more for performance and function. To enhance contrast the front wall should always be black. Using black assures that whatever light that bounces back from the side and rear walls will be absorbed, which enhances the contrast profoundly.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

THE BOOK says 6500k, for everything in the room.
    Believe it or no, but everything affects your picture, even your clothes, although not much.
    So black would be decent as a background for the screen, but if you're not the morbid type,
    any dark color will do, really.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the infos. They settled on chocalate brown, a dark color - the lilac is out. I learn from the past that Feng Shui principles and HT applications don't mix well. What about the other three walls. Does it have any bearing on the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    THE BOOK says 6500k, for everything in the room.
    Believe it or no, but everything affects your picture, even your clothes, although not much.
    So black would be decent as a background for the screen, but if you're not the morbid type,
    any dark color will do, really.
    There is no book that says 6500k everywhere pix jeeze louise!!!!

Bias lights are used for folks who sit far away from their sets(which are usually 40" and under) - far enough away that the set does not take up your field of view. In this case when watching your set with the lights off, your eyes have to adjust quickly for the changing light on the screen. This can cause eye fatigue. A bias light is used to provide a bit of light to keep the pupils more open(thereby reducing eyestrain), and not forcing them to make rapid changes scene by scene. The light should be placed low and behind the set, and should have a color temperature of 6500k.

This does not apply to the people who sit the proper distance for HD, or to those folks who have projection systems. The screens are so big that it takes up your field of view(which also gives out more light to the eyes), which keeps the pupil open most of the time thereby preventing eye strain.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thanks for the infos. They settled on chocalate brown, a dark color - the lilac is out. I learn from the past that Feng Shui principles and HT applications don't mix well. What about the other three walls. Does it have any bearing on the picture.
    Chocolate brown is perfectly acceptable. The other three walls should also be dark as well, so as not to reflect light back to the screen which also reduces contrast. Ideally, the whole room should be dark for just that reason.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    In addition all paint should be flat, or preferably even matte. Reflections off even a dark but shiny surface can cause distractions.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    There is no book that says 6500k everywhere pix jeeze louise!!!!

Bias lights are used for folks who sit far away from their sets(which are usually 40" and under) - far enough away that the set does not take up your field of view. In this case when watching your set with the lights off, your eyes have to adjust quickly for the changing light on the screen. This can cause eye fatigue. A bias light is used to provide a bit of light to keep the pupils more open(thereby reducing eyestrain), and not forcing them to make rapid changes scene by scene. The light should be placed low and behind the set, and should have a color temperature of 6500k.

This does not apply to the people who sit the proper distance for HD, or to those folks who have projection systems. The screens are so big that it takes up your field of view(which also gives out more light to the eyes), which keeps the pupil open most of the time thereby preventing eye strain.
    Its called a BACKLIGHT, what I HAVE BEEN SAYING that you need and you have been saying you don't need, my reasons for saying you need it the same as the reasons you cited above, doesnt matter if you have a projection, direct view,
    or PUPPET THEATER.
    6500K (the proper temp for video pictures) is the ideal type of paint for HT, they sell it
    and while it might not go with the decor, it has several advantages.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Its called a BACKLIGHT, what I HAVE BEEN SAYING that you need and you have been saying you don't need, my reasons for saying you need it the same as the reasons you cited above, doesnt matter if you have a projection, direct view,
    or PUPPET THEATER.
    6500K (the proper temp for video pictures) is the ideal type of paint for HT, they sell it
    and while it might not go with the decor, it has several advantages.
    Pix, you have a smaller display than my smallest display, and you don't sit the proper distance from the television (1.5 heights away for HD content), so you need a backlight. My smallest television is 55", and I sit exactly 1.5 screen heights away. You don't need a back light with this set up. When you sit too far away in a dark room(the proper way to watch movies), and you have a bright source constantly changing light levels in darkness, that is the problem as it makes the pupils rapidly have to adjust to the changing light levels. When you sit closer, there is more light hitting the pupils, which allows them to stay more open, and not have to rapidly adjust to constant changes as much, no eyestrain is the result.

6500k is not for video pictures, it is the color temperature for the whitest whites. Get your facts straight. Video pictures change from scene to scene, so they cannot just be 6500k
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    My sister has the Philips with multi-color ambi-light. That thing is a trip!

1.5x eh? So your saying I should be ~8ft from my 60"? Seems a little close to me.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

The proper shade for the front wall should be black. His wife should really stay out of this one, as she is trying to be decorative when in reality this should be more for performance and function.
    One of my (single) audio buddies took a slightly different approach with his dedicated video room to meet the same objective. While the walls are green, he taped black plastic sheets across all the windows in the room so that no outside light enters. Not WAF friendly in the least.

rw

they sell it
    Who is "they"?

rw

When you sit too far away in a dark room(the proper way to watch movies), and you have a bright source constantly changing light levels in darkness, that is the problem as it makes the pupils rapidly have to adjust to the changing light levels. When you sit closer, there is more light hitting the pupils, which allows them to stay more open, and not have to rapidly adjust to constant changes as much, no eyestrain is the result.
    This is just some thoughts (non projection TV), but I imagine sitting closer to TV (to fill in the field of view) would intensify the light that is hitting pupils in a dark room, thus pupils still have to adjust from darker scene to lighter scene. I still don't see how moving closer to TV would reduce constant change of pupils which is source of eye strain.

I agree with Pix that if planning to use an ambient light behind TV, the wall behind TV should be painted 6500k color temperature to accommodate the color temperature of calibrated TV.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Who is "they"?

rw
    Oh you know...the "people" upstairs.....

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the advice. The only problem my neighbor has now is a large rear window with a southern exposure which transmit lots of glare. They have to get some window treatment for it. Any advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    This is just some thoughts (non projection TV), but I imagine sitting closer to TV (to fill in the field of view) would intensify the light that is hitting pupils in a dark room, thus pupils still have to adjust from darker scene to lighter scene. I still don't see how moving closer to TV would reduce constant change of pupils which is source of eye strain.
    If the set is filling your field of view, you are not that much in the darkness of the room. Yes, you are right, sitting closer does increase the intensity of the light, but it also reduces the influence of the dark room as well. The pupils get narrow in the light, and wider in the dark. If it sees mostly light(with the reduced influence of the dark) it will stay mostly closed with only small adjustments when the picture gets darker. If you are sitting far away, the dark will keep the pupil wide open, and when the light on the screen get brighter or darker, it will have to respond quickly to those changes which causes eye strain.

I agree with Pix that if planning to use an ambient light behind TV, the wall behind TV should be painted 6500k color temperature to accommodate the color temperature of calibrated TV.
    If you paint the wall that white, then the contrast of that set will be greatly reduced. If you calibrate to that level of white, your blacks will surely be grey.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    My sister has the Philips with multi-color ambi-light. That thing is a trip!

1.5x eh? So your saying I should be ~8ft from my 60"? Seems a little close to me.
    If your set is a 1080p, any further away and you will not see all that resolution. I sit exactly 7ft from my 55", and I have had no problems with that distance. No bias light needed, and at this distance I meet both SMPTE and THX specs for ideal viewing angle.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thanks for all the advice. The only problem my neighbor has now is a large rear window with a southern exposure which transmit lots of glare. They have to get some window treatment for it. Any advice on this.
    Two words...blackout Curtains.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

If you are sitting far away, the dark will keep the pupil wide open, and when the light on the screen get brighter or darker, it will have to respond quickly to those changes which causes eye strain.
    Couldn't the same argument also be made (in reverse) when sitting closer to TV where pupil will keep narrow due to light? It still have to respond to dark scenes by widening.

If there was constant light output from TV, then I would definitely agree with your argument. But since light output from TV is constantly changing (like from night to day time scene), I imagine pupil response is also changing whether sitting closer or further.

If you paint the wall that white, then the contrast of that set will be greatly reduced. If you calibrate to that level of white, your blacks will surely be grey.
    You are corret there, and as you know it is suggested to keep ambient light intensity shinning on back wall much lower than TVs. Good test is that If you could read words on a paper with ambinet light on, then the light output is too high and should be lowered.

I have the ambinet light behind my TV so low that I can't barley read letters on my keyboard since computer is the same room.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-07-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Couldn't the same argument also be made (in reverse) when sitting closer to TV where pupil will keep narrow due to light? It still have to respond to dark scenes by widening.
    But not quite as much than if a dark room dominated my vision, and I was staring at a bright light within that darkness.

If there was constant light output from TV, then I would definitely agree with your argument. But since light output from TV is constantly changing (like from night to day time scene), I imagine pupil response is also changing whether sitting closer or further.
    There is constant light output from the television, it is not consistently the same brightness but there is more light hitting the pupil with more intensity. The changes it has to make are more gradual than if the darkness was dominating(keeping the pupil more open most of the time). This reduces the eyestrain without the need of a bias light.

You are corret there, and as you know it is suggested to keep ambient light intensity shinning on back wall much lower than TVs. Good test is that If you could read words on a paper with ambinet light on, then the light output is too high and should be lowered.
    I agree with this.

I have the ambinet light behind my TV so low that I can't barley read letters on my keyboard since computer is the same room.
    How big is the screen, and how far do you sit from it.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

How big is the screen, and how far do you sit from it.
    The screen size is 32 inch (SD ) and I sit about 8 feet from TV. I think the proper distance to see full resolution would be around 11 feet, but am restricted to 8.

If I get a 37 inch HD which hopefully will be soon, I think the proper sitting distance would be around 5 feet. I tried sitting 5 feet from 32 inch and it seem too close to me as my eyes get bothered by TV being so close. So may have to keep distance of 8 feet for 37 incher also.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-08-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Cool

Thanks, Smoke.
    This has been a bone of contention with the bone-head for some time, but I stand by
    what I say, you need a decent backlight, doesn't have to be bright, can be dim, but it
    will enhance viewing a great deal, also time you can watch video without tiring.
    Mine is on a dimmer , not a wall dimmer, they can produce interference, a light remote
    with dimmer, and I usually set it at a level fitting the source. But there will always be the
    hermit in a dark room crowd.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

The screen size is 32 inch (SD ) and I sit about 8 feet from TV. I think the proper distance to see full resolution would be around 11 feet, but am restricted to 8.

If I get a 37 inch HD which hopefully will be soon, I think the proper sitting distance would be around 5 feet. I tried sitting 5 feet from 32 inch and it seem too close to me as my eyes get bothered by TV being so close. So may have to keep distance of 8 feet for 37 incher also.
    You made my point, thanks! Bias lights are really for smaller screens in dark rooms where people sit too far from the set to fill the field of view.

5ft on a 32" SD set is quite close. You are going to see the scan lines from the distance. 5ft from a 37" HD set will not have that effect at all.

I sit 7ft from a 55", and it is like being at the theater because the set is properly calibrated(it is not blinding me with light), and with the lights off it look like the images are just floating in free space. I can see every bit of the 1080p resolution, and I have never needed a backlight and have never had any eye strain whatsoever even when viewing for long periods of time.

55" from 7ft away gives me a 36 degree wide viewing angle which meets THX recommended viewing angle for widescreen set ups. The maximum distance I can sit and still see all of the resolution of 1080p is 8.3ft.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Oh you know...the "people" upstairs.....
    In your case, your parents, maybe?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Saw one in the sales papers today for 499. EXCELLENT for a smaller HT, got rid of mine
    because the screen just wasn't big enough, a 40" isn't that much more, you know, and at that size you start to get a feeling of movement , a more dimensional image, deeper.
    Just make sure its a 1080p, trust me on this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information