Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vizio VF550M

Vizio VF550M

Well it came today, just in time for the opening game of this new NFL season. After some check and re-check with the HDMI cable (real sensitive) the picture came in (Had the HD cable box set to ESPN) and wow the Clemson, GA Tech game jumped out in full 1080i. I tried out my DVD player to see if there was a improvement (through in Rules of Engagement) full 480P. My son told me Pittsburgh and Tennessee was playing on NBC and I switched over to another crisp detail picture at 1080i. There not much being said about this set online, but it shares the same specs as te XT/VT model. At this point I can say that it shines with a HD signal and makes SD channels a poor sight to view. Compare to my 32" Vizio 720p upstairs I can tell the differences in the depth of color in the HD pic.

Speaking of color depth, I notice last night while watching the President speech, the differences in the HD signals that certain channels broadcast. I was flipping back and forth from HD Fox news, HD ABC and HD CBS and saw how much softer the ABC feed looked compared to CBS and Fox. I know that ABC only puts out a 720p signal compare to Fox and CBS 1080i.

Can't wait for the Blu ray player to come in next week and see how it will play with this new screen.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Congrats...

Mozeltov!!! Hope you love and enjoy your new set as much as I do my Sammy. HD sports are a wonder to behold.

Da Worfster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Well it came today, just in time for the opening game of this new NFL season. After some check and re-check with the HDMI cable (real sensitive) the picture came in (Had the HD cable box set to ESPN) and wow the Clemson, GA Tech game jumped out in full 1080i. I tried out my DVD player to see if there was a improvement (through in Rules of Engagement) full 480P. My son told me Pittsburgh and Tennessee was playing on NBC and I switched over to another crisp detail picture at 1080i. There not much being said about this set online, but it shares the same specs as te XT/VT model. At this point I can say that it shines with a HD signal and makes SD channels a poor sight to view. Compare to my 32" Vizio 720p upstairs I can tell the differences in the depth of color in the HD pic.

Speaking of color depth, I notice last night while watching the President speech, the differences in the HD signals that certain channels broadcast. I was flipping back and forth from HD Fox news, HD ABC and HD CBS and saw how much softer the ABC feed looked compared to CBS and Fox. I know that ABC only puts out a 720p signal compare to Fox and CBS 1080i.

Can't wait for the Blu ray player to come in next week and see how it will play with this new screen.

First, congrats on your set.
    A lot think I am a Vizio fanboy, but while I think theres better you cant beat the picture
    without paying a lot more.
    ANOTHER THING, the "native resolution" is 1080p I beleive, that means you watch
    everything in 1080p, the set upconverts all incoming signals to 1080p.
    You wont get any extra res on, say 480p , but you will see an improved pic on 1080i,
    as it gets de-interlaced for 1080p. Vizio has very good upconverters and de-interlacers
    for the price point.
    Enjoy.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Congrats R1. May you have many years of blissful viewing.
    When does the BR player show up?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

The Pioneer BDP 120 should be arriving next week
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Way cool. What movie do you think will be first?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    ...A lot think I am a Vizio fanboy,...
    You're too stupid to be a fanboy.

Congrats on your purchase(s) recoveryone!

If you're a Rush fan and into concert DVD's, I highly recommend Rush's latest: Snakes & Arrows Live. IMO it really pushes the capabilities of my PS3 from a visual AND audio standpoint. The audio track is DTS-HD MA, which is hands down my favorite Lossless format.

Enjoy!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

If you're a Rush fan and into concert DVD's, I highly recommend Rush's latest: Snakes & Arrows Live. IMO it really pushes the capabilities of my PS3 from a visual AND audio standpoint. The audio track is DTS-HD MA, which is hands down my favorite Lossless format.

Enjoy!
    Forget the DVD, get the Blu-ray version(I know you meant Blu-ray Tex). It is a reference concert video with reference PQ and AQ. I loved it and gave it a perfect score.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...00&show=review
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Way cool. What movie do you think will be first?
    I'm not looking to repeat anything I already have, So I'm looking at the lastest X-men or wait until Startrek or Transformers come out within the next few weeks. I watched SW1 last night and my old Pioneer DV45A was at the top of its game. maybe its the HDMI output from the AV or just that new toy feeling, but it look a bit extra sharp and detailed, almost too detail where you can really see the difference in CGI and real backdrops. The Pod race was awesome, the space fight with the Naboo fighters is A+++ very deep black of space and the color depth of the Trade Fed ships. Now my old Mits was no slouch, but I have to admit using the HDMI cables are very nice, My 81TX picks up each sound format with ease and does not default to DDPLII when a 5.1 signal is not present. I like that, some my not. If its digital stereo then thats what it is and some HD channels are just that and not full 5.1.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

First, congrats on your set.
    A lot think I am a Vizio fanbo.
    Some could call me that too with 3 Vizio in the house now. But my choice came down to daily use and most bang for the buck. If I had a dedicated HT room, I would have went with a Projector or Plasma.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Some could call me that too with 3 Vizio in the house now. But my choice came down to daily use and most bang for the buck. If I had a dedicated HT room, I would have went with a Projector or Plasma.
    At the end of the day... you do what's best for you. Simple as that. If you're enjoying your purchase, I couldn't be any happier for you.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Forget the DVD, get the Blu-ray version(I know you meant Blu-ray Tex). It is a reference concert video with reference PQ and AQ. I loved it and gave it a perfect score.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...00&show=review
    Yup. Meant the BD version. So I own a Blue-ray reference disk that only cost me, IIRC, $20 some-odd bucks. COOL!

Well, I wouldn't call you a fanboy. And I certainly wouldn't call you stupid either. That label's reserved.

You are not a fan boy because you are real about your purchase. You are not pretending that you are getting video perfection from a budget product with known performance issues. You purchased what your budget dictated, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's when you are in denial, making up lies, and denying test after test after test results by sticking your head in the sand that makes you a fanboy. We only have one of those on this site that I notice.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Enjoy!
    Not stupid enough to buy a Firebird however, or anything from a fly by night chinese
    electronics co..
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

You are not a fan boy because you are real about your purchase. You are not pretending that you are getting video perfection from a budget product with known performance issues. You purchased what your budget dictated, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's when you are in denial, making up lies, and denying test after test after test results by sticking your head in the sand that makes you a fanboy. We only have one of those on this site that I notice.
    And that would be you.
    Truth is that I have been around this long enough that I have figured out, that what Sam
    Clemens said about statistics also aplies to most "tests".
    Truth is there is little difference between results in most of these "tests", nothing the human eye can discern, anyway.
    And in these hard economic times people either dont have the cash or credit to blow
    on something that they can live without, in this case specs that you would need
    several thousand dollars worth of equipment to detect.
    The only "lab" I am concerned with is my two eyes, and if it were just me, fine, but everybody I know with a Vizio loves it, not one dissenting voice.
    So you can blow your "tests" , I know the reality (or lack thereof) behind them.
    AND THERE IS STILL NO SUCH THING AS "MOTION RESOLUTION".
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

3db
    Forum Regular

Congrats. I bought a Vizio SV470M and really enjoy it as well. I bought it at Costco and the only display that could beat it was a Panny Plasma. It beat oother LCDsfrom Sony, LG and Samsung but to be fair, I don't f these other models were older. For the money its an awesome set. It would have cost me an additonal $500 dollars for a similar sized Panny Plasma which was out of my budget.

On a side note, I read an HT review and the latest LCD beat a Panny Plasma in black resolution...a 1st for an LCD.

Suspended
    Not stupid enough to buy a Firebird however, or anything from a fly by night chinese
    electronics co..
    Twisting the facts again. Emotiva is an AMERICAN company, products assembled in China. Beating the same old dead horse huh dumbass.

And that would be you.
    Truth is that I have been around this long enough that I have figured out, that what Sam
    Clemens said about statistics also aplies to most "tests".
    Truth is there is little difference between results in most of these "tests", nothing the human eye can discern, anyway.
    And in these hard economic times people either dont have the cash or credit to blow
    on something that they can live without, in this case specs that you would need
    several thousand dollars worth of equipment to detect.
    The only "lab" I am concerned with is my two eyes, and if it were just me, fine, but everybody I know with a Vizio loves it, not one dissenting voice.
    So you can blow your "tests" , I know the reality (or lack thereof) behind them.
    AND THERE IS STILL NO SUCH THING AS "MOTION RESOLUTION".
    I hope sand tastes very good to you because you head has been in it forever. A 1080p LCD panel will have a STATIC resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. We don't look at static images we look at moving ones. A LCD panel is a electro-mechanical device that has moving parts. These moving parts(shutters) are not instant or particularly precise. The liquid crystals take time to re-orient themselves to present a new image. During high motional action, these liquid crystals can fall behind in their continuous moving orientation which cases blurring of the image. That blurring causes the panels resolution to drop when images are moving. This is a fact, and the best you can do with this lie that there is no such thing as motion resolution is add ketchup or mustard to that sand you are continuously eating.

Since you use your eyes as a lab, then you better have perfect vision. We know you don't because you cannot seem to see motion blur, which is particularly a problem with your vizio panel.

A lot of people liked Apex products(they were cheap) but that doesn't mean the product was necessarily good. Right now consumers are more interested in buying things that fit their budgets, not necessarily products that perform well when used. The growth of Walmart is a testament to that.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    Congrats. I bought a Vizio SV470M and really enjoy it as well. I bought it at Costco and the only display that could beat it was a Panny Plasma. It beat oother LCDsfrom Sony, LG and Samsung but to be fair, I don't f these other models were older. For the money its an awesome set. It would have cost me an additonal $500 dollars for a similar sized Panny Plasma which was out of my budget.
    3db, a vizio panel has never beat any set from Sony, Samsung or LG. It has never happened. Vizio's television have continually finished at the bottom of the pack in both industry testing, and individual testing from A/V magazines.

On a side note, I read an HT review and the latest LCD beat a Panny Plasma in black resolution...a 1st for an LCD.
    It actually beat it in color accuracy as well. I have to say, I knew this would happen when Pioneer exited the plasma market. They were the ones driving the advances in plasma technology.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

I hope sand tastes very good to you because you head has been in it forever. A 1080p LCD panel will have a STATIC resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. We don't look at static images we look at moving ones. A LCD panel is a electro-mechanical device that has moving parts. These moving parts(shutters) are not instant or particularly precise. The liquid crystals take time to re-orient themselves to present a new image. During high motional action, these liquid crystals can fall behind in their continuous moving orientation which cases blurring of the image. That blurring causes the panels resolution to drop when images are moving. This is a fact, and the best you can do with this lie that there is no such thing as motion resolution is add ketchup or mustard to that sand you are continuously eating.

Since you use your eyes as a lab, then you better have perfect vision. We know you don't because you cannot seem to see motion blur, which is particularly a problem with your vizio panel.

A lot of people liked Apex products(they were cheap) but that doesn't mean the product was necessarily good. Right now consumers are more interested in buying things that fit their budgets, not necessarily products that perform well when used. The growth of Walmart is a testament to that.
    And you are a testament to the fact that evolution has passed some people by.
    People liked APEX but not because they were cheap, my friends APEX DVD player
    played every disc put into it, and lasted quite awhile. His kid poured a coke into it..
    Most LCD sets have a response time of 4 milliseconds, well beyond the capability of the human eye, but thats no matter, it has been shown time and again that progressive images do not collapse to half res like interlaced pics do during movement, it just doesnt happen, in other words the "motion" res is the same as the "static" res.
    If this werent the case then why did the computer industry go to progressive scan,
    and give this as a reason?
    For that matter why did the TV industry do likewise?
    When you buy a higher line TV set you are not wasting your money, the pic is a little better,
    but there is not this huge advance in PQ.
    The law of deminishing returns kicks in, and there is a larger and larger price to pay for
    smaller and smaller improvements.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Twisting the facts again. Emotiva is an AMERICAN company, products assembled in China. Beating the same old dead horse huh dumbass.
    And a Firebird is an american car half assembled by Canadian and American
    workers, or rather was before the free market stepped in.
    Doesnt matter who owns it, still made in China.
    With that quality that only a dollar a day wage can inspire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

And you are a testament to the fact that evolution has passed some people by.
    People liked APEX but not because they were cheap, my friends APEX DVD player
    played every disc put into it, and lasted quite awhile. His kid poured a coke into it..
    Most LCD sets have a response time of 4 milliseconds, well beyond the capability of the human eye, but thats no matter, it has been shown time and again that progressive images do not collapse to half res like interlaced pics do during movement, it just doesnt happen, in other words the "motion" res is the same as the "static" res.
    If this werent the case then why did the computer industry go to progressive scan,
    and give this as a reason?
    For that matter why did the TV industry do likewise?
    When you buy a higher line TV set you are not wasting your money, the pic is a little better,
    but there is not this huge advance in PQ.
    The law of deminishing returns kicks in, and there is a larger and larger price to pay for
    smaller and smaller improvements.
    I want everyone to see how stupid you denial is. If you really believe that LCD static images have the same resolution as moving images, do so at your own stupidity and ignorance (your a professional at both)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10020262-1.html

http://hdguru.com/will-the-2007-hdtv...ou-expect/187/

By the way idiot, the combining of two fields together have nothing to do with motion blur, or motion resolution. That is an issue of pixels twisting and adjusting themselves to allow light to pass through. Sorry you don't know the difference, but then you don't know the difference between a human tit, and a nipple on a babies milk bottle.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

3db
    Forum Regular
    3db, a vizio panel has never beat any set from Sony, Samsung or LG. It has never happened. Vizio's television have continually finished at the bottom of the pack in both industry testing, and individual testing from A/V magazines.

It actually beat it in color accuracy as well. I have to say, I knew this would happen when Pioneer exited the plasma market. They were the ones driving the advances in plasma technology.
    Really? Were you with me when I sat in front of the sets? You really come across as a pompous a?? I know what I saw and at moment in time the Vizio panel DID beat all the othe LCD displays there. I'm aware of the HT Magazine having bought it just because of the flat panel face-off test and it did beat out the Toshiba Regza as well. Man, what bee has got into your bonnet. Take a MYDOL and chill.

Suspended
    I want everyone to see how stupid you denial is. If you really believe that LCD static images have the same resolution as moving images, do so at your own stupidity and ignorance (your a professional at both)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10020262-1.html

http://hdguru.com/will-the-2007-hdtv...ou-expect/187/

By the way idiot, the combining of two fields together have nothing to do with motion blur, or motion resolution. That is an issue of pixels twisting and adjusting themselves to allow light to pass through. Sorry you don't know the difference, but then you don't know the difference between a human tit, and a nipple on a babies milk bottle.
    Man, I'm gonna have a tough time topping that one!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass
    And a Firebird is an american car half assembled by Canadian and American
    workers, or rather was before the free market stepped in.
    Doesnt matter who owns it, still made in China.
    With that quality that only a dollar a day wage can inspire.
    Good grief. Here you have a chance to provide a benefit to the OP with meaningful posts, but instead you go way off-topic and talk about cars. You carry over your worthless swill from other threads (oh yeah, you're wrong in those threads too dumbass), and just keep right on blabbering in an attempt to defend yourself. You'll never learn.

Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    Really? Were you with me when I sat in front of the sets? You really come across as a pompous a?? I know what I saw and at moment in time the Vizio panel DID beat all the othe LCD displays there.
    Your dreamin, it has never happened. They have never made a panel that could beat a Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. The only thing that Vizio has beaten the other panels is in price, that is it. I have seen every model that Vizio has made since their inception tested again the models of the others at the Digital Testing Center in Hollywood. Vizio has ALWAYS finished at the bottom of the pack. It is only recently that Toshiba joined them in the basement. No need for name calling, we are all adults here. Our eyes are poor instruments for judging the picture quality, it takes testing instruments to do that. You can't just sit somewhere in front of a few panel when you don't know if they have been calibrated, or presented in a optimum environment for making an intelligent, accurate evaluation.

I'm aware of the HT Magazine having bought it just because of the flat panel face-off test and it did beat out the Toshiba Regza as well. Man, what bee has got into your bonnet. Take a MYDOL and chill.
    Read the individual comments of the testers. Not one liked the Vizio. Look, you bought a Vizio bacause it fit your budget, and you said so right here

But my choice came down to daily use and most bang for the buck.

So there is no need to get angry and try and justify what you did. Sorry, I don't wear bonnets(and nobody has for at least a century), and we have a bee shortage in these parts, and I am not into pharmaceuticals. I certainly don't need them to chill. You need to chill, nobody is attacking you. Enjoy your set, because that is what it is all about.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp