Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vizio VF550M

Is it me, or does it seem a little frosty in here?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

3db
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Your dreamin, it has never happened. They have never made a panel that could beat a Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. The only thing that Vizio has beaten the other panels is in price, that is it. I have seen every model that Vizio has made since their inception tested again the models of the others at the Digital Testing Center in Hollywood. Vizio has ALWAYS finished at the bottom of the pack. It is only recently that Toshiba joined them in the basement. No need for name calling, we are all adults here. Our eyes are poor instruments for judging the picture quality, it takes testing instruments to do that. You can't just sit somewhere in front of a few panel when you don't know if they have been calibrated, or presented in a optimum environment for making an intelligent, accurate evaluation.

Read the individual comments of the testers. Not one liked the Vizio. Look, you bought a Vizio bacause it fit your budget, and you said so right here

But my choice came down to daily use and most bang for the buck.

So there is no need to get angry and try and justify what you did. Sorry, I don't wear bonnets(and nobody has for at least a century), and we have a bee shortage in these parts, and I am not into pharmaceuticals. I certainly don't need them to chill. You need to chill, nobody is attacking you. Enjoy your set, because that is what it is all about.
    What I'm upset about is taht you dismissed what I saw as not being possible. I watch aTV using DVD and TV and not some test set-up and in my evaluation, the Vizio beat everythign on that Costoc floor except for the Panny Plasma.

Furthermore, there were alot of positive comments made about the Vizio in teh HT review that would substantiate what I saw.

"The Vizio landed in fourth place overall for black level and shadow detail combined, just marginally behind the LG and in front of the Toshiba. True, the Vizio did tie with the LG for second place in shadow detail. "

"The Vizio’s color was controversial and brought out the most disagreement on the panel. One of those who rated its color tops praised its punchy yellows and reds (although possibly a bit too red with fleshtones) on Seven Years in Tibet. She also liked its “sharp, bright picture,” with “natural, bright blues on Fly Away Home” and “really vivid colors on Casanova. Eye-popping—this is exactly the kind of movie I would watch with this one.” The other judge who rated the Vizio high for color also praised the saturated hues on Casanova and The Dark Knight, as well as the set’s beautiful green, reds, and browns in Fly Away Home. "

"But a second-place finish in resolution did earn the Vizio some bragging rights. One panelist thought Seven Years in Tibet looked juddery and the detail too sharp, with some artifacts. He also thought the set had difficulty holding detail with motion. But he still gave it a respectable score. One of those who gave the Vizio’s color a high rating commented that the color made details pop, especially compared with the Sony’s paler colors—a clear reflection of how difficult it can sometimes be to isolate the various aspects of a video display’s performance. Another panelist commented on the clear textures on the temple walls in Seven Years in Tibet, along with its clarity in showing Brad Pitt’s scars and wrinkles! "

Yes there were negative comments too and I'm not saying Visio is the last word in displays. What I am saying is that teh Vizio did beat the other displays at Costco except for the Panny and if I had the money I would have purchased teh Panny over teh Vizio. None of the other LCDs at Costco could justify there mariganally higher cost with a lesser quailty picture compared to what the Vizio put out.
    Last edited by 3db; 09-16-2009 at 10:28 AM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    What I'm upset about is taht you dismissed what I saw as not being possible. I watch aTV using DVD and TV and not some test set-up and in my evaluation, the Vizio beat everythign on that Costoc floor except for the Panny Plasma.
    Look man, you used just your eyes on sets that have not been calibrated sitting in a store with bright lights. Hardly the environment to make a critical evaluation on picture quality. This is akin to saying I did a critical listening test of several speaker in a airplane hanger with a jet going full throttle. Justifying your purchase on these grounds is lame, if not a bit naive.

Furthermore, there were alot of positive comments made about the Vizio in teh HT review that would substantiate what I saw.

"The Vizio landed in fourth place overall for black level and shadow detail combined, just marginally behind the LG and in front of the Toshiba. True, the Vizio did tie with the LG for second place in shadow detail. "
    Keep in mind, this evaluation was made excluding the Panasonic and Sony televisions. So the Vizio was really competing with panels in the second tier, not the first tier.

"The Vizio’s color was controversial and brought out the most disagreement on the panel. One of those who rated its color tops praised its punchy yellows and reds (although possibly a bit too red with fleshtones) on Seven Years in Tibet. She also liked its “sharp, bright picture,” with “natural, bright blues on Fly Away Home” and “really vivid colors on Casanova. Eye-popping—this is exactly the kind of movie I would watch with this one.” The other judge who rated the Vizio high for color also praised the saturated hues on Casanova and The Dark Knight, as well as the set’s beautiful green, reds, and browns in Fly Away Home. "
    Once again, an opinion based on the second tier of panels. But you forgot to add this

Shane Buettner: I'd like to say that the Vizio, the cheapest set in this face off , was the little LCD that could. But next to these other sets, I cannot say that the lowest price set yielded the best value.

Debbie Stampfli: While all of the experts in the room seemed to dislike the Vizio, I really enjoyed watching it. She also admits this: I am not a hometheater expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Claire LLoyd: In the color department, the Vizio was my initial favorite. However, after a couple of hours of its candy coated goodness, I came to appreciate the Sony's more realistic looking, natural palette.

"But a second-place finish in resolution did earn the Vizio some bragging rights. One panelist thought Seven Years in Tibet looked juddery and the detail too sharp, with some artifacts. He also thought the set had difficulty holding detail with motion. But he still gave it a respectable score. One of those who gave the Vizio’s color a high rating commented that the color made details pop, especially compared with the Sony’s paler colors—a clear reflection of how difficult it can sometimes be to isolate the various aspects of a video display’s performance. Another panelist commented on the clear textures on the temple walls in Seven Years in Tibet, along with its clarity in showing Brad Pitt’s scars and wrinkles! "
    Remember its second place finish did not include either the Panasonic or the Sony. So it was second when compared to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place panels. The person who commented on the colors was the least experienced in the group. John Higgins didn't even mention the Vizio in his comments, and Scott Wilkerson only mentioned that the Vizio held up well in a lit room.

Yes there were negative comments too and I'm not saying Visio is the last word in displays. What I am saying is that teh Vizio did beat the other displays at Costco except for the Panny and if I had the money I would have purchased teh Panny over teh Vizio. None of the other LCDs at Costco could justify there mariganally higher cost with a less quailty picture that Vizio put out.
    It is not the last word in displays, but it does enjoy sharing last place. So the Vizio beat the other displays in Costco, hardly the Digital Testing Center. Costco does not carry more performance oriented brands, it carries the more budget oriented brands. So saying it beat the other displays is like saying at least it was better than a Proscan, Apex, and other budget low performing brands. Okay, I get that, but it does bolster my point that Vizio is aimed at the more budget conscious crowd, and not the more performance oriented crowd. Please do not say a Vizio panel beat the others at Costco. It sounds ridiculous when only your eyes are the testing equipment, the panels are not calibrated, and the viewing environment is very poor. Just admit that if you had more money, you would have purchased a better panel something you admit yourself.

Anyone looking for a quality - performance oriented panel is not going to Costco to get it. They will go to One-Call, Best Buys or other places that have a WIDE VARIETY of panels that have both performance oriented and budget oriented panels.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

3db
    Forum Regular
    Look man, you used just your eyes on sets that have not been calibrated sitting in a store with bright lights. Hardly the environment to make a critical evaluation on picture quality. This is akin to saying I did a critical listening test of several speaker in a airplane hanger with a jet going full throttle. Justifying your purchase on these grounds is lame, if not a bit naive.

Keep in mind, this evaluation was made excluding the Panasonic and Sony televisions. So the Vizio was really competing with panels in the second tier, not the first tier.

Once again, an opinion based on the second tier of panels. But you forgot to add this

Shane Buettner: I'd like to say that the Vizio, the cheapest set in this face off , was the little LCD that could. But next to these other sets, I cannot say that the lowest price set yielded the best value.

Debbie Stampfli: While all of the experts in the room seemed to dislike the Vizio, I really enjoyed watching it. She also admits this: I am not a hometheater expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Claire LLoyd: In the color department, the Vizio was my initial favorite. However, after a couple of hours of its candy coated goodness, I came to appreciate the Sony's more realistic looking, natural palette.

Remember its second place finish did not include either the Panasonic or the Sony. So it was second when compared to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place panels. The person who commented on the colors was the least experienced in the group. John Higgins didn't even mention the Vizio in his comments, and Scott Wilkerson only mentioned that the Vizio held up well in a lit room.

It is not the last word in displays, but it does enjoy sharing last place. So the Vizio beat the other displays in Costco, hardly the Digital Testing Center. Costco does not carry more performance oriented brands, it carries the more budget oriented brands. So saying it beat the other displays is like saying at least it was better than a Proscan, Apex, and other budget low performing brands. Okay, I get that, but it does bolster my point that Vizio is aimed at the more budget conscious crowd, and not the more performance oriented crowd. Please do not say a Vizio panel beat the others at Costco. It sounds ridiculous when only your eyes are the testing equipment, the panels are not calibrated, and the viewing environment is very poor. Just admit that if you had more money, you would have purchased a better panel something you admit yourself.

Anyone looking for a quality - performance oriented panel is not going to Costco to get it. They will go to One-Call, Best Buys or other places that have a WIDE VARIETY of panels that have both performance oriented and budget oriented panels.
    Good put down champ. Makes ya feel good does it? Nevertheless it still displayed the best of remainin uncalibrated displays. Wow do u ever have a hate-on for this. And as usual, you dismiss every good thing siad about it. Least I acknowledge that all wasn\t perfect with this set. You remind me of pixelthis...just refusing to see the good points and focusing on the bad. Its kinda ironic too that the particular Vizio is their bottom line and still managed to beat out Toshiba.

Good put down champ. Makes ya feel good does it?
    Sorry, but it wasn't meant to be a put down, but if you want to take it that way, more power to ya. This is the internet, and I don't really feel good or bad about it. My life isn't ruled by my emotions.

Nevertheless it still displayed the best of remainin uncalibrated displays.
    The best IN YOUR EYES, not the best when it comes to critical testing and evaluation. Your opinion is not a rule or consensus. Even you admitted that if you had the money, you would have went for another set. So the reality is, this purchase was more governed by the money in your pocket, and not any real performance advantage over the other sets.

Wow do u ever have a hate-on for this.
    I don't think you know me well enough to know if this is hate-on, or just accurate information to rebut your silly claim. You seem to want to "justify your love" for this set, when the reality is this is what you could afford. No problem, it rather easy to see through this veil.

And as usual, you dismiss every good thing siad about it.
    That is because what good is said about it is nothing more than somebodies (a rather untrained somebody at that, and they admit it) revelation of their taste. They like a set with overly saturated colors, even if the color decoder was accurate. And being second amongst the 3rd, 4th and 5th sets in resolution is nothing to crow about, it was far behind the leaders of the pack. More testers hated this set than liked it, and that should tell you something about it. You need to be a hair more realistic and global, and stop trying to highlight things that attempt to make your point.

Least I acknowledge that all wasn\t perfect with this set.
    You had no choice. The article pointed that out.

You remind me of pixelthis...just refusing to see the good points and focusing on the bad.
    The difference between pixel and myself is that I know what I am talking about or I don't respond. He THINKS he knows what he is talking about and doesn't, and will deny any and everything that does not agree. For me, the good point was that Sony LCD's are finally catching (and surpassing) up to its plasma equal. I am not going waste my time glorifying a television that finished last, and only a fool would.

Its kinda ironic too that the particular Vizio is their bottom line and still managed to beat out Toshiba.
    This is not really saying much. For the last three years or so Toshiba has been fighting Vizio for the title of most poorly manufactured set in the market. Since they rolled out the HD-DVD format, their televisions performance and quality has suffered greatly. I see no irony in that, it is just a fact.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Really? Were you with me when I sat in front of the sets? You really come across as a pompous a?? I know what I saw and at moment in time the Vizio panel DID beat all the othe LCD displays there. I'm aware of the HT Magazine having bought it just because of the flat panel face-off test and it did beat out the Toshiba Regza as well. Man, what bee has got into your bonnet. Take a MYDOL and chill.
    Welcome to my world, dealing with this looney, who claims his set is something
    "the boys cobbled together" at work.
    Doesnt matter how a set looks, dontcha know, its how the set performs in some rigged "test". And sir talky is talking about "twisted pixels" when the only thing twisted is his mind.
    THE INDUSTRY giants keep inventing "tests" (nonexistant "motion resolution " being the latest) in order to knock down the industry leader in sales...VIZIO.
    And the more they are cut down the faster their sets fly off the shelves.
    Talky has a "crt", and its furstrating to such elitist snobs that the average viewer doesnt share their opinion about fuzzy, dim, phosper based tech like plasma and CRT.
    These types think these type of displays are "better" because they more resemble the
    phosper based sets they grew up with, they never bother to actually look at an LCD set
    instead of slandering the tech.
    Phosper based tech is limited by physics, there is only so much light a phosper dot can put out, and the smaller the dot the less light.
    Phosper based tech has reached its limit.
    Relics like Talky should be improving the new tech instead of pining away for the good old days.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Can a mod please lock this thread
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

3db
    Forum Regular
    The best IN YOUR EYES, not the best when it comes to critical testing and evaluation. Your opinion is not a rule or consensus. Even you admitted that if you had the money, you would have went for another set. So the reality is, this purchase was more governed by the money in your pocket, and not any real performance advantage over the other sets.
    I never implied it was the best period. You did that all on your own and then tried to discredit what I saw as results at Costco. You did this not me. And yes I admitted to wanting a Plasma but not being able to afford it.

I don't think you know me well enough to know if this is hate-on, or just accurate information to rebut your silly claim. You seem to want to "justify your love" for this set, when the reality is this is what you could afford. No problem, it rather easy to see through this veil. .
    And you weren't there at Costco with me so how would you know what I saw? Again, a blind assumption on your part led to all of this.

That is because what good is said about it is nothing more than somebodies (a rather untrained somebody at that, and they admit it) revelation of their taste. They like a set with overly saturated colors, even if the color decoder was accurate. And being second amongst the 3rd, 4th and 5th sets in resolution is nothing to crow about, it was far behind the leaders of the pack. More testers hated this set than liked it, and that should tell you something about it. You need to be a hair more realistic and global, and stop trying to highlight things that attempt to make your point..
    Ditto. Its not all bad but you choose yet again to focus on all teh negative press. And once the said was calibratted, the color tracking was very stable. Leader of the packs were both the Sony and and the Panny. The other 3 three were really close in performance so much so that it is really difficult to pick a clear 3, 4, or 5 prize. I never claimed the Vizio to be a high end dsiplay. You assumed I did from what I saw at Costco. You jumped up and said "impossible" without knowing what the other models were. I kept saying Costco..not the industry.

The difference between pixel and myself is that I know what I am talking about or I don't respond. He THINKS he knows what he is talking about and doesn't, and will deny any and everything that does not agree. For me, the good point was that Sony LCD's are finally catching (and surpassing) up to its plasma equal. I am not going waste my time glorifying a television that finished last, and only a fool would...
    The only fool is the one that assumes what the other saw. The only fool is the one assuming a store experience is supposed to be taken as industry standard. Only a fool would jump all over another without know what all the models were. Stop with all of your so called logical assumptions and get a better grip on your so called emotions.

I never implied it was the best period. You did that all on your own and then tried to discredit what I saw as results at Costco. You did this not me. And yes I admitted to wanting a Plasma but not being able to afford it.
    Shifted to the victim mode huh. The last sentence is all you had to say. The first part....I don't get it. I know what you see at costco, I have been there. I know EXACTLY how they present their televisions. I also know that when they have a contract to push a certain panel products (Vizio), they will make the other panels look worse so it looks the best. You just simply pump up the contrast levels in the vizio, and lower the contrast on the rest. The store in my area got busted for that ruse when a person found that one panel was hooked up to component inputs(a Sony), and a Vizio hooked up to the HDMI inputs with its contrast pushed to the highest level.

And you weren't there at Costco with me so how would you know what I saw? Again, a blind assumption on your part led to all of this.
    This is a bull statement. Costco's television displays are all the same. I have three Costco within 15 minutes driving distance, and all of their displays are identical. Its a cattle call of budget average and low performing panels on shelves, none calibrated, and under harsh lighting. That is not a condition to test anything, and certainly not to proclaim that the Vizio was the best looking panel. The reality is, you could AFFORD that panel, and not the others. Tell the truth, shame the devil.

Ditto. Its not all bad but you choose yet again to focus on all teh negative press. And once the said was calibratted, the color tracking was very stable.
    Yes the color tracking was stable, but from the description of the color, it was oversaturating all of the primary colors. That is not accuracy, and it is nothing to crow about. Have you ever heard of the concept of balancing the comments?

Leader of the packs were both the Sony and and the Panny. The other 3 three were really close in performance so much so that it is really difficult to pick a clear 3, 4, or 5 prize.
    Don't add to what the article actually said. Their 3,4 and 5 picks were the LG, vizio, and Toshiba. The article never claimed it was that difficult to choose them.

I never claimed the Vizio to be a high end dsiplay. You assumed I did from what I saw at Costco. You jumped up and said "impossible" without knowing what the other models were. I kept saying Costco..not the industry.
    I made no assumption that you said anything. What I commented on was this lame testing method you choose to justify your purchase. And please, I know what models Costco sells, I go there every two weeks to pick up various things for my house. Please don't think you have an exclusive to their inventory.

The only fool is the one that assumes what the other saw.
    You see the same thing that you see in every costco. The is no such thing as a high end costco with different brands of panels. Every costco has the same brands. As a person that shops there, I am no fool. Only a fool would use the excuse "it was the best looking, and it beat all of the rest", when their real motivation was that is all they can spend. I'm no fool, and I can see right through your bull man.

The only fool is the one assuming a store experience is supposed to be taken as industry standard.
    Only a fool would put words in one's mouth. What I clearly said (for the English challenged) was a costco store is not a place to test anything, and our eyes are not testing equipment. I mention industry standards in the context that Vizio has not beaten another panel (except several other budget low performance LCD's)) at anything under critical testing. So it is very weird that an amateur would come here and pronounce that a Vizio bested televisions from the majors without looking at how the others were set up.

Only a fool would jump all over another without know what all the models were.
    Man, this is getting tiring. You mentioned the other sets in your post, isn't this what you said:

It beat oother LCDsfrom Sony, LG and Samsung but to be fair, I don't f these other models were older.

Now do you feel foolish? Every year I go to the Digital Testing Center and watch them perform testing on every model of LCD panel, Plasma panel, and DLP television in the market. They have dismantled panels, and explain in depth why the panels finished in the place they did. Every year that I have gone, the Plasma's always finished above the LCD's., until this year. Among the LCD's, not one model whether high end or the low end of a vizio has ever been close to any model from Sony(the best performing LCD's) LG, or Samsung. Vizio's real competition is the Proscans, Magnavox's, Coby's, RCA, Avio, Auria, Sanyo, and Sharp LCD panels. All of these LCD's make the bottom of the list every year with the exception of Auria which just entered the market this year. So when jo schmo walks into a Costco as proclaims that a uncalibrated Vizio beats out a uncalibrated Sony, LG and a Samsung in their eye test, I immediately begin to wonder if that person is blind, naive or foolish. Costco and Walmart have contracts to push Vizio televisions, so it is in both Costco and Walmarts best interest to make a Vizio television look as good as it can on the showroom floor. How do you do that under harsh lighting conditions? You turn up the contrast plain and simple. At each of the three Costco's in my area, that was exactly the case. The vizio's where all contrast hot, and the other panels at more normal levels. That made the picture look more vivid to the untrained eye, and that is exactly what they are trying to accomplish.

Stop with all of your so called logical assumptions and get a better grip on your so called emotions.
    So reading is not your forte' either. I believe that I clearly said this:

My life isn't ruled by my emotions.

What part of this escapes you?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

3db
    Forum Regular
    Shifted to the victim mode huh. The last sentence is all you had to say. The first part....I don't get it. I know what you see at costco, I have been there. I know EXACTLY how they present their televisions. I also know that when they have a contract to push a certain panel products (Vizio), they will make the other panels look worse so it looks the best. You just simply pump up the contrast levels in the vizio, and lower the contrast on the rest. The store in my area got busted for that ruse when a person found that one panel was hooked up to component inputs(a Sony), and a Vizio hooked up to the HDMI inputs with its contrast pushed to the highest level.

This is a bull statement. Costco's television displays are all the same. I have three Costco within 15 minutes driving distance, and all of their displays are identical. Its a cattle call of budget average and low performing panels on shelves, none calibrated, and under harsh lighting. That is not a condition to test anything, and certainly not to proclaim that the Vizio was the best looking panel. The reality is, you could AFFORD that panel, and not the others. Tell the truth, shame the devil.

Yes the color tracking was stable, but from the description of the color, it was oversaturating all of the primary colors. That is not accuracy, and it is nothing to crow about. Have you ever heard of the concept of balancing the comments?

Don't add to what the article actually said. Their 3,4 and 5 picks were the LG, vizio, and Toshiba. The article never claimed it was that difficult to choose them.

I made no assumption that you said anything. What I commented on was this lame testing method you choose to justify your purchase. And please, I know what models Costco sells, I go there every two weeks to pick up various things for my house. Please don't think you have an exclusive to their inventory.

You see the same thing that you see in every costco. The is no such thing as a high end costco with different brands of panels. Every costco has the same brands. As a person that shops there, I am no fool. Only a fool would use the excuse "it was the best looking, and it beat all of the rest", when their real motivation was that is all they can spend. I'm no fool, and I can see right through your bull man.

Only a fool would put words in one's mouth. What I clearly said (for the English challenged) was a costco store is not a place to test anything, and our eyes are not testing equipment. I mention industry standards in the context that Vizio has not beaten another panel (except several other budget low performance LCD's)) at anything under critical testing. So it is very weird that an amateur would come here and pronounce that a Vizio bested televisions from the majors without looking at how the others were set up.

Man, this is getting tiring. You mentioned the other sets in your post, isn't this what you said:

It beat oother LCDsfrom Sony, LG and Samsung but to be fair, I don't f these other models were older.

Now do you feel foolish? Every year I go to the Digital Testing Center and watch them perform testing on every model of LCD panel, Plasma panel, and DLP television in the market. They have dismantled panels, and explain in depth why the panels finished in the place they did. Every year that I have gone, the Plasma's always finished above the LCD's., until this year. Among the LCD's, not one model whether high end or the low end of a vizio has ever been close to any model from Sony(the best performing LCD's) LG, or Samsung. Vizio's real competition is the Proscans, Magnavox's, Coby's, RCA, Avio, Auria, Sanyo, and Sharp LCD panels. All of these LCD's make the bottom of the list every year with the exception of Auria which just entered the market this year. So when jo schmo walks into a Costco as proclaims that a uncalibrated Vizio beats out a uncalibrated Sony, LG and a Samsung in their eye test, I immediately begin to wonder if that person is blind, naive or foolish. Costco and Walmart have contracts to push Vizio televisions, so it is in both Costco and Walmarts best interest to make a Vizio television look as good as it can on the showroom floor. How do you do that under harsh lighting conditions? You turn up the contrast plain and simple. At each of the three Costco's in my area, that was exactly the case. The vizio's where all contrast hot, and the other panels at more normal levels. That made the picture look more vivid to the untrained eye, and that is exactly what they are trying to accomplish.

So reading is not your forte' either. I believe that I clearly said this:

My life isn't ruled by my emotions.

What part of this escapes you?
    I had enough of your blatant arrogance and stupidity and twisting of my words to suit your means. I'm tired of you. I pegged you correctly the first time. You are without a doubt , a pompous ass.

I had enough of your blatant arrogance and stupidity and twisting of my words to suit your means. I'm tired of you. I pegged you correctly the first time. You are without a doubt , a pompous ass.
    And you sir are without a doubt a stupid ass. So where does this go from here?

The problem is that you just can't rebut what I have stated. So you take your doll and run home. Nobody twisted your words, you were being dishonest in what you are stating. The bottom line is this, you could only afford the Vizio and that is what you purchased. The other BS about the Vizio outperforming a Sony, Samsung or LG is just what it is....BS. End of story.

All of this you are a xxxxxxxxxx is just symptomatic of a lack of knowledge, and an inferiority complex.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

3db
    Forum Regular
    And you sir are without a doubt a stupid ass. So where does this go from here?

The problem is that you just can't rebut what I have stated. So you take your doll and run home. Nobody twisted your words, you were being dishonest in what you are stating. The bottom line is this, you could only afford the Vizio and that is what you purchased. The other BS about the Vizio outperforming a Sony, Samsung or LG is just what it is....BS. End of story.

All of this you are a xxxxxxxxxx is just symptomatic of a lack of knowledge, and an inferiority complex.
    Your approach of bull in a China shop doesn't work on alot of people if you haven't noticed. I guess we'll just keep slipping tee lab reports under your door for you to work on becuase of your total lack of people skill prevents you from interacting in a more civilized manner. Oh and when your done playing with the dollls, please tidy them up.

Inferiior complex?? Good one. I almost fell out of my chair laughing on that one.

Suspended
    Where's dumbass. I got a new line I want to use on him.

Your approach of bull in a China shop doesn't work on alot of people if you haven't noticed.
    You feeble attempts at online pyschology are not particularly keen either. The only person you have fooled with your phony eye test is yourself. The only person you have convinced that you got a good deal on a low performing television is your own foolish self.

I guess we'll just keep slipping tee lab reports under your door for you to work on becuase of your total lack of people skill prevents you from interacting in a more civilized manner.
    Keep your report, you may need it to help you learn how to tell the truth, instead of faking the funk on why you purchased your set. Your silly amateurish eye test excuse just does not cut it when other people know better.

You don't know anything about my people skills, and you don't know anything about picking a decent television either.

Oh and when your done playing with the dollls, please tidy them up.
    I'll leave the dolls to you, since you obviously know how to handle them better than I do.

Inferiior complex?? Good one. I almost fell out of my chair laughing on that one.
    I thought you had already fallen out of that chair when you came here and said that a Vizio television was better than a Sony in your phony eye test. You must be blind as a bat, or a big fool for falling for the oldest marketing trick in the book.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 09-18-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Costco's far from an ideal environment to do any kind of critical viewing, especially if you don't bother with adjusting the settings so that they are as comparable as possible. T correctly points out the old parlor tricks that go into the "showroom" mode, which might wow the viewer in a flood lit warehouse but will look like crap in normal home viewing.

Anyone about to embark on a TV shopping adventure should actually take the time and calibrate their current TV first using a calibration disc and color filter. Aside from improving the picture quality, it also familiarizes you with how the color balances, brightness, contrast, and sharpness are supposed to look at reference levels. Gaining a familiarity with how a calibrated picture looks will at least give you an educated perspective from which to adjust the sets at Costco and make the comparison as valid as possible under those less than ideal conditions. Just looking at TVs without calibrating them first would be like auditioning speakers with everything set at different EQ levels -- i.e., meaningless.

For the OP, if you're happy with your purchase, be happy. But, you're still well served by using a calibration disc to properly set the levels on your TV. Using the calibration disc, set the TV to the reference benchmark, and then adjust it to your preferences. Optimizing what you have is the best way to maximize the value in your system investment. The whole point of calibration is having a rock solid starting point that's consistent, something that eyeballing cannot give you with any degree of reliability.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Costco's far from an ideal environment to do any kind of critical viewing, especially if you don't bother with adjusting the settings so that they are as comparable as possible. T correctly points out the old parlor tricks that go into the "showroom" mode, which might wow the viewer in a flood lit warehouse but will look like crap in normal home viewing.

Anyone about to embark on a TV shopping adventure should actually take the time and calibrate their current TV first using a calibration disc and color filter. Aside from improving the picture quality, it also familiarizes you with how the color balances, brightness, contrast, and sharpness are supposed to look at reference levels. Gaining a familiarity with how a calibrated picture looks will at least give you an educated perspective from which to adjust the sets at Costco and make the comparison as valid as possible under those less than ideal conditions. Just looking at TVs without calibrating them first would be like auditioning speakers with everything set at different EQ levels -- i.e., meaningless.

For the OP, if you're happy with your purchase, be happy. But, you're still well served by using a calibration disc to properly set the levels on your TV. Using the calibration disc, set the TV to the reference benchmark, and then adjust it to your preferences. Optimizing what you have is the best way to maximize the value in your system investment. The whole point of calibration is having a rock solid starting point that's consistent, something that eyeballing cannot give you with any degree of reliability.
    Hey Wooch,

Do you have any suggestions for a good (read cheap) calibration disc & filter? Would these work for a projector too?

Thanks,

Mike
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Woo this thread has long gone off the reservation on page one, I never even seen the unit I brought in a store. I did my research online went out and talked to people (in Stores) did some comparison based on consumer reviews and critics and the most important part I looked in my wallet and said this will be the one. A break down of this madness that ended in the result:

1 May 09 55" Mtis 55805 HDTV 1080i died (2001 model) start weighing option of repair vs replacement.

2. June 09 Dell Projector 2100 DLP crashed and burned (a little help from my granddaughter pulling on the cord)

3.Search is on (visiting local highend shop on latest bells and whistles)

4. start assessing How much can I spend and willing to spend (drop 3K on the Mits back then)

5. Narrowing the field, I had to weigh in the size factor, I had the 55" mits for 8 years and was used to that size, but again cost/budget consideration may have to cut down to 52" or even smaller.

6. I was pretty much set on getting this 52" sharp Aquos 54 series, but was just waiting to look around a bit more.

7, Aug 09 My wife needed a new laptop for school (teacher), while on the dell site I see this Vizio being advertise. I start my negotiation with the other guy on a combo deal with the sharp, 1600.00 for the TV, stand and samsung BD player. But the more I read up on the sharp I was not really happy, only 60Hz motion a late 08 model vs 120Hz on the 09 models. 3 HDMI vs 5 HDMI on the Vizio. The deal breaker on the sharp was the reviews on the banding issues (lines that appear on the screen during panoramic shots) and Sharp knew about it and did not offer any fixes.

8. Sep 09 I order the Vizio, while still looking for more info I come across a site that offer off another $100 off on the Vizio. And when I placed the order Dell said it was out of stock, so I just left it alone for a day or so until I get this e-mail from Dell saying my order is complete and shipped.

9. by the way I have calibrated all of my TV's with the DV Essentials disk, thanks to people like my fellow AR peeps that pass on info like this to help each other get the most out of our HT.

10. I may not post a lot, but I do stop by often and I still hold the oldest member date on here lol, so some of you new guys should take it easy and sit back and take all this in for a while before you get into a pissing match over dumb stuff. most of us here are average Joes that really enjoy HT/2channel music and many of our beliefs are from years of experience with gear. And there are those in here that have the privilege to work in this industry and give us a heads up on whats coming down the pipe. We learn more by sharing than by proving I'm right and not being overly sensitive when facts are being presented to state ones point of view.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hey Wooch,

Do you have any suggestions for a good (read cheap) calibration disc & filter? Would these work for a projector too?

Thanks,

Mike
    Cheap would mean going with a DVD rather than a Blu-ray calibration disc. Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure that you upscale the signal to your TV's native resolution.

The disc selection includes the usual suspects: Digital Video Essentials, Avia, and (if you can still find it) the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup disc.

The cheapest alternative would be to use the THX Optimode video patterns found on THX certified DVDs, and mail order the blue filter from THX (I believe they'll send it to you for free with a SASE). Problem with the Optimode tests is that they are inconsistent from title to title.

The advantage of using one of the Blu-ray calibration discs is that you can view the test patterns in high def. But, the core tests, like those for color balance and contrast, don't require HD resolution. Also, the Blu-ray calibration discs include audio tests for the newer lossless formats.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Where's dumbass. I got a new line I want to use on him.
    TALKING TO YOURSELF AGAIN?
    Not long for the farm, but dont worry, maybe they will let you take your "blowup betty"
    with you this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

3db
    Forum Regular
    Costco's far from an ideal environment to do any kind of critical viewing, especially if you don't bother with adjusting the settings so that they are as comparable as possible. T correctly points out the old parlor tricks that go into the "showroom" mode, which might wow the viewer in a flood lit warehouse but will look like crap in normal home viewing. .
    Maybe thats what happened to me but I am pleased with my set. I don't like T's approach of just dismissing what I saw without reasons and only once we started mincing words did he indicate the parlour trick. Too late at that point. I still find him arrogant and I do not like the way he's treated others in this thread. T is right about plasma over LCD but he's got this holier than thow attitude and for whatever reason he thinks he's allowed to degrade people here that go against his opinion. He is a pompous ass and arrogant to boot and everytime he's gonna flame someone now, I'm going to be on him like glue.

I agree with calibration but most places who sell displays do not sell calibrated sets. I fully beleive in calibration and once the money bleeding stops, I'll get my Vizio calibrated as well.

Cool

Good put down champ. Makes ya feel good does it? Nevertheless it still displayed the best of remainin uncalibrated displays. Wow do u ever have a hate-on for this. And as usual, you dismiss every good thing siad about it. Least I acknowledge that all wasn\t perfect with this set. You remind me of pixelthis...just refusing to see the good points and focusing on the bad. Its kinda ironic too that the particular Vizio is their bottom line and still managed to beat out Toshiba.
    Give me an hour and I will tell you about Toshiba...
    Everything I have ever had Tosh has either failed or underperformed...
    everything
    The thing talky doesnt understand is that not even all PQ perfectionists either want or need a lab grade monitor, after the point of diminishing returns every little increment
    of improvement costs more and more.
    Vizio is not the best by a long margin, but they are a good compromise of decent PQ FOR
    A GOOD VALUE.
    I would rather spend my dough on audio, unless you're super rich life is a series of trade offs.
    If we all had unlimited funds we would all have uber-perfect systems, but even in good times that is not the case, and these are certainly not good times by any strech of the imagination.
    My extra paycheck and my vacation pay was going into my new receiver I had picked
    out, but two months unemployment put paid to that.
    Sometimes you have to make choices, and for the price VIZIO is a good quality set.
    Mine is going on its second year, and still gets rave reviews.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Hey Wooch,

Thanks,

Mike
    This is what I use and on sale to boot.....

http://www.dvdinternational.com/pd_d...essentials.cfm
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues

FINE IF YOU HAVE AN ANALOG SET(thats why its so cheap).
    Although I am sure some tests will work with digital sets.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues

Cool. Thanks,

It looks like Amazon is having a sale on it too. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...3539598&sr=8-1

Pix,

This says that it's a "Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] (2008)" Why are you saying that it's for analog sets?

Wooch,

I'll look into the ones you mentioned too, before buying anything. Thanks,

Cool

Cool. Thanks,

It looks like Amazon is having a sale on it too. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...3539598&sr=8-1

Pix,

This says that it's a "Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] (2008)" Why are you saying that it's for analog sets?

Wooch,

I'll look into the ones you mentioned too, before buying anything. Thanks,

The link I got said NTSC DVD.
    Will probably work with HD tho.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast