Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Vizio 42" HD 1080p... what do you think of this TV?

I'm in the market to buy a new flat panel LCD and I saw at Costco they have this 42" Vizio 1080p for a really good price!

I don't know anything about Vizio though... I mean I have heard a few things like they're cheaper than Sony or Samsung but still good quality but I don't know what to think. Is it a good value for the money?

Thanks for the help!

Vizio's are made here in america and are good quality TV's with middle of the road pictures. The pictures are above average but not the quality of the Major players like Sony, Samsung, Sharp and LG. If your on a tight budget they are worth the money. I know a few people that have them and I almost bought one for my son but decided to get him something else for christmas.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    First of all, unless you have a specific reason for choosing an LCD flat panel such as an extremely bright room (lots of direct sun) or you have static images on your screen for a long time; then do yourself a big favor and buy a plasma tv. Better color, black level, off angle viewing and more. Do not judge by what you see in the store. The LCDs look very bright and very detailed. You do not need that brightness in normal viewing situations and the super detailed picture is typical of the overpixelated video like picture in many LCDs. The plasmas are more natural and film like in picture.

Second, do whatever you can to come up with the extra cash and go for a Panasonic plasma. I think the 42" panasonic plasma is now about $1199. A 768p resolution is just fine, you will not be able to tell the difference from the 1080p on most source material from more than 8 feet or so. The difference between 768p and 1080p is very small and not the difference you might think from the numerical differences in pixels. It is a technical explanation and much too complicated to explain here. The Vizio brand is only OK. I think it is very important that you don't skimp on the TV. Only the best flat panel TV's have very good picture quality with standard definition sources as well as HD. Pioneer and Panasonic are the best plasmas, Samsung and LG are a notch below in my opinion. Panasonic's are much cheaper than Pioneer and about equal in quality.

Third, consider going up to a 50" plasma. Last time I looked Costco had the Panasonic 50inch 768p plasma for about $1600. Most people who buy a 42" later wish they had gone with a 50."

I have convinced several friends at work to buy Panasonic plasmas over LCDs and they thank me every day for the superb picture. Both have 768p models.

The current February issues of both Sound and Vision magazine and Home Theater magazine have comparison reviews of plasmas versus LCDs. Do yourself a big favor and read both of these reviews. Unfortunately, they are not availbale yet online. They have glowing reviews on the Panasonic plasmas and explain why plasmas are still the superior choice over LCDs.

I don't always place a lot of value in the Consumer Report ratings on electronics but they do get it right on TV picture quality. They have the 42, 50 and 58 inch Panasonic plasmas all at the top with ratings of excellent in picture quality for HD, SD and DVD both in the 768p and 1080p models. Panasonic plasmas also have the best repair history from CR.

RR6

Suspended
    WOW! This really is ringing endorsement for Panasonic 50" Plasmas I must say. I'm glad you threw a "in my opinion" and a few "I thinks" in there because otherwise you'd have come across as a Panasonic employee... Aside from that, you're going to get a lot more opposing opinions later on.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    First of all, unless you have a specific reason for choosing an LCD flat panel such as an extremely bright room (lots of direct sun) or you have static images on your screen for a long time; then do yourself a big favor and buy a plasma tv.
    You're kidding right? Put ANY TV in an "extremely bright room" and PQ will suffer. RR6, LCD's are now or will very soon be the mainstream HDTV's for many reasons, not the least of which are their versatillity in most environments. And you're reading this from a DLP TV owner. How about another reason for choosing LCD, like... AFFORDABILITY? tinturn_footie (that's a bizarre one), price out a few 52" 1080p LCD's then a few Plasma 1080p TV's and see what you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by RR6
    Better color, black level, off angle viewing and more. Do not judge by what you see in the store. The LCDs look very bright and very detailed.
    Again, at what price? Don't judge Plasmas or DLP's by what you see in the store either. A very harsh environment which is why stores set the brightness level up the way they do.
    You do not need that brightness in normal viewing situations and the super detailed picture is typical of the overpixelated video like picture in many LCDs. The plasmas are more natural and film like in picture.
    First you assume he has an extremely bright room, then you assume he has normal viewing situations. And then..."Overpixelated video like picture"? What the he!! does that mean?
    Second, do whatever you can to come up with the extra cash and go for a Panasonic plasma. I think the 42" panasonic plasma is now about $1199.
    So, #1, Don't buy an LCD, buy a 720p Plasma. #2, Buy a Panasonic plasma. A 42" Panasonic plasma. A Visio 1080p LCD can be had for $1K.
    A 768p resolution is just fine, you will not be able to tell the difference from the 1080p on most source material from more than 8 feet or so. The difference between 768p and 1080p is very small and not the difference you might think from the numerical differences in pixels.
    Wrong wrong wrong. Just plain wrong. Just like LCD's are becoming the norm, so is 1080p. You want some assurance that you'll be staying up-to-date with the technology you'll want a 1080p set. Forward thinking gents!
    It is a technical explanation and much too complicated to explain here.
    Ummm.... dude, it's been explained over and over again here on the AR forums. I suggest t_footie you take a little time to read some of the conversations. Just do a search on the screen name "pixelthis" and you'll get explanations out the wazoo!!!
    The Vizio brand is only OK. I think it is very important that you don't skimp on the TV. Only the best flat panel TV's have very good picture quality with standard definition sources as well as HD. Pioneer and Panasonic are the best plasmas, Samsung and LG are a notch below in my opinion.
    Yes, your opinion. (Wait till Pix sees this one! )
    Panasonic's are much cheaper than Pioneer and about equal in quality.
    Maybe, maybe not. If I had to choose, I'd choose Pioneer.

Third, consider going up to a 50" plasma. Last time I looked Costco had the Panasonic 50inch 768p plasma for about $1600. Most people who buy a 42" later wish they had gone with a 50."
    So, to sum it up: #1, buy a plasma; #2, buy a Panasonic plasma, #3, buy a 42" Panasonic plasma, #4, don't buy a 42" Panasonic plasma, buy a 50" Panasonic plasma. Do you see where I'm going with this fellas?
    I have convinced several friends at work to buy Panasonic plasmas over LCDs and they thank me every day for the superb picture. Both have 768p models.
    Well, are your friends on the same budget as t_footie? Were your friends just being polite and cursing you behind your back?

The current February issues of both Sound and Vision magazine and Home Theater magazine have comparison reviews of plasmas versus LCDs. Do yourself a big favor and read both of these reviews. Unfortunately, they are not availbale yet online. They have glowing reviews on the Panasonic plasmas and explain why plasmas are still the superior choice over LCDs.
    I'm sub'ed to S&V magazine, and I've yet to read a review where the writers have anything bad to say about one brand or another... one tech over the other. Ya think maybe it's because magazines are TOOLS for the manufacturers who ADVERTISE in them?
    I don't always place a lot of value in the Consumer Report ratings on electronics but they do get it right on TV picture quality. They have the 42, 50 and 58 inch Panasonic plasmas all at the top with ratings of excellent in picture quality for HD, SD and DVD both in the 768p and 1080p models. Panasonic plasmas also have the best repair history from CR.

RR6
    Sometimes you place value in Consumer Reports, sometimes you don't. But it sounds like you place a lot of value on Home Theater rags.

Things that make ya go Hmmmm...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tintern_footie
    I'm in the market to buy a new flat panel LCD and I saw at Costco they have this 42" Vizio 1080p for a really good price!

I don't know anything about Vizio though... I mean I have heard a few things like they're cheaper than Sony or Samsung but still good quality but I don't know what to think. Is it a good value for the money?

Thanks for the help!
    One thing for sure,
    STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA.
    They have a slightly better black level and thats IT, most wont notice and its certainly not worth the trouble.
    I have had a Vizio for a little over a year, and love it. Some snobs on this board will claim its inferiour, but dont listen.
    Its not as good as higher line brands but its not as expensive, its the num one lcd
    because most like the picture and dont see why they should pay more.
    As I type this I am lookin at my vizio which makes a great computer screen.
    You cant do that with plasma because of burn in issues.
    And if the gas leaks out you wont be able to do ANYTHING.
    Plasmas use a LOT more electricity, a hugh amount actually.
    And you need a pro to mount it, it weighs a lot more than an LCD.
    But dont beleive me, go and compare the price, picture quality.
    AS for reliability , nary a peep.
    Vizio also has DVDO deinterlacing tech (at least mine does) which is quite good.
    MINES a 37in BTW.
    The fact that some know nothings on this board dont like this set is a vindication to me that its a decent product.
    They dont like LCD for the simple reason that its not complicated, troublesome, and finicky enough, so it CANT be any good.
    BTW if you do want to use your new set for computer or game use you would have to be insane to get a plasma, the burn in would ruin the set with the showing of static images.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Well Rich I knew my opinion (aren't we allowed to voice our opinion here?) would cause some disagreement. I think that is what a forum is for. I wasn't prepared for the personal attack.

I wrote my post becuase I feel there are lots of newbies out there that have formed a very quick opinion that LCd's are the best bet in flat panel TV's. I wanted him to know that he should also consider plasmas which I still feel are superior. Yes LCD's have made a lot of improvements in their drawbacks such as motion blur, poor off angle viewing, lower black levels and color accuracy compared to plasmas. However, plasmas still have a slight edge. I think (OK attack me here on using the word think) Panasonic just happens to be a big best bang for the buck in plasmas.

You obviouisly are not a very careful reader. I think Pioneer plasmas are also excellent but significantly more expensive. That is fact if you check out the prices.

My comments about bright rooms was that most LCD's are brighter than plasmas and one possible reason for choosing one over a plasma would be if you do a lot of daylight viewing in a room with lots of windows and direct sunlight (otherwise most people don't need that extra brightness) . Another reason to buy an LCD would be if you have a lot of static images. Although the "burn in" problem was overstated on plasmas the latest generation models have virtually no burn in or image retention problems if used correctly. I would not buy a plasma for games or as a computer monitor. That is why I made those comments which you completely misunderstood. I presume that he and many people coming here for opinions on flat panel TV's are using them for TV and movies like the large majority of viewers are unless they state otherwise. So my comments are based on a comparison of flat panel LCD's and plasmas for movies and TV. I didn't think it was necessary to spell all of that out in a ten page treatise.

What the heck does "their versatillity in most environments" mean.

If you have followed flat panel TV's in the last 5 years or more you would know that LCD's have been higher priced than comparable plasmas in the same screen size. By the way, who ever said anything about DLP's? Not I.

He mentioned a 42" TV. That is why I first mentioned the 42" Panasonic. I then mentioned that a lot of people after they have already bought a 42" later decide that they wish they have gone up to a 50". That is for his consideration now so that he could at least think about it. Is this stream of logic too hard to follow?

You say "First you assume he has an extremely bright room". I never assumed that. You need to read more carefully.

You are obviously one of those that does not understand the objective difference to the human eye of 768p versus 1080p. It is very small indead and not a linear difference as in the difference between the number 768 and 1080 would seem to imply. It is somewhat similar to the reason why 200 watts versus 100 watts is not a significant difference in an amp becuase it in reality makes only a 3db increase in sound level ouput. Would I buy a 1080p? Yes, for the very slight difference because one of our viewing seats is about 6-7 feet from our TV. You seem to think 1080p is a big leap forward in technology (now who is being influenced by those tools of advertisng?) But here we have a guy who is trying to keep his budget down. That is one reason why I recommended going with the lower priced Panasonic 768p to stay close to the price of the Vizio. 1080p or not, the Panasonic 768p is a superior TV to that Vizio and also the Vizio plasma. I am usually a big bang for the buck buyer. A TV is one place not to buy budget in my opinion.

The lastest reviews which I referenced compared LCD's to plasmas. In both cases the plasma models were the better performance in their opinion. Both explain in detail about the different plusses and minuses of both types of flat panels TV's and that plasmas still have the edge in performance.

Both Samsung and LG have come a long way over the last 5 years or more. However, I still put them slightly lower than the Pioneer and Panasonic. That is not to ruffle your feathers or those of your freind.

My post was to give tinter_footie my alternative thoughts about plasmas for his consideration. I don't often single out one particular brand as the best buy. In the case of the flat panels I think buying the budget brands like Vizio is a mistake. I also think Pioneer and Panasonic are at the top of the heap. Panasonic is considerably cheaper. Can you follow the logic? I don't mean to be condescending here but I think your rude and illogical attack deserves it. You are welcome in my opinion to post here like the rest of us. How about dropping your tone a little. I have 40 years personal interest in audio and home theater. I have read and researched a great deal during that time. That doesn't mean I have any or all the answers. But I do have a very large knowledge base and feel I have the right to voice my opinion here with out the line by line attack. Disagree, fine, but please drop the attack mode.

RR6

The question here was are Vizio LCD TV's any good!

The bottom line here is that the Vizio gives a pretty good picture at a bargain price. Check out the reviews in the current consumer reports.Its a very good TV if you have a limited budget and dont want to spend hundreds of $'s more for a Sony or Samsung LCD. Vizio and many other LCD TV's do not give as good a picture in STD definition like Sony or Samsung. (STD definition picture quality sucks on all High def TV's, some times its rather painful to watch and many people have returned HDTV's because of this , instead opting to wait till there are more HD programs and letting the price of the TV's come down as well).

I believe that if you are looking at a 42" TV that you will not be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless you are right on top of the screen. I checked this out when I was considering a smaller TV for my son.

As far as plasma's go. Some have better pictures than an LCD but not by much. They certainly are cheaper and you can get alot more TV for the money over an LCD.
    LCD TV's are better in bright surroundings, give off much less glare and reflections than a plasma. In fact, with our LCD TV, we see no reflections of any lamps that may be on in the room. This used to really annoy me with our CRT TV. Plasma's are best viewed in darkenss or with lighting sources above or behind the screen.

As far as power. The cost for running a 52" LCD for a year is about $80 and for a 50" plasma its about $110.

Plasma's give off more heat than an LCD, so if your in a small room with poor ventilation, it could get uncomfortably warm.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Cool

If you are looking for a "bargain" BTW there is an RCA 46in at wallmart for 1200 bucks.
    For PQ the best price to buck ratio I have seen is a 50" rca DLP , again at wallmart.
    Its 998 bucks and has a stand
    I am not a DLP fan, and dont think that rear projection has much of a future, but this is a cheap way to get a 50" picture that is quite good really, you just have to live with the drawbacks of a spinney wheel and a 200$ bulb ever two years or so,
    But you had better hurry, wont be around long
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I sure hope the OP was able to get an answer from all this banter.

Vizio seems OK. Good bang for the buck. Not sure of the longevity myself. Does anyone know how long they've been around?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    One thing for sure,
    STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA.
    They have a slightly better black level and thats IT, most wont notice and its certainly not worth the trouble.
    i notice, i have a 50inch plasma (panasonic) in my HT/game room, a 37in LCD (sharp) in the family room and 26inch LCD (samsung) in the bedroom, the plasma's black levels are VERY noticeable, especially in movies but also games, and in my opinion make a big difference to the overall picture quality.

And you need a pro to mount it, it weighs a lot more than an LCD.
    i'd like to see anyone mount any 50 inch television without help

But dont beleive me, go and compare the price, picture quality.
    i did, i ended up with a plasma. to get similar picture quality (but still worse black levels) i was actually looking at spending more on an LCD than a plasma

BTW if you do want to use your new set for computer or game use you would have to be insane to get a plasma, the burn in would ruin the set with the showing of static images.
    my plasma sees about 85% gaming, 10% movies, 5% tv. i invite you to come over and see burn in, you'll have a tough time though, because there is none.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by f0rge
    i notice, i have a 50inch plasma (panasonic) in my HT/game room, a 37in LCD (sharp) in the family room and 26inch LCD (samsung) in the bedroom, the plasma's black levels are VERY noticeable, especially in movies but also games, and in my opinion make a big difference to the overall picture quality.

i did, i ended up with a plasma. to get similar picture quality (but still worse black levels) i was actually looking at spending more on an LCD than a plasma

my plasma sees about 85% gaming, 10% movies, 5% tv. i invite you to come over and see burn in, you'll have a tough time though, because there is none.
    NOT YET
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Wow, can I just say thank you all SO much for giving such detailed and interesting opinions on which TV you prefer. I have been leaning towards LCDs vs. plasma mainly because they are cheaper and I have heard that plasmas don't last as long. Secondly, I asked about Vizio because this brand seems to be good quality but also inexpensive. Unfortunately, my budget is not going to enable me to get a Sony, or to get a 50" plasma. It's interesting to see all of this information though, because I've heard many of these things (like the issue with plasma burn-in) in passing, but never seen such details in one concentration. I hadn't considered DLP because I don't like how they seem cumbersome in the back whereas the LCDs and plasmas are pretty much flat.

You've all been very helpful. I guess I'm still kind of on the fence about Vizio. But, the 42" 1080p does seem like a good deal for only $950 at Costco. I am glad you guys discussed the 720 vs. 1080 difference, and yeah I think I definitely need the 1080 since everything is moving in that direction.

Thanks again for all your help!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tintern_footie

Thanks for the help!

I was always told they are considered "throw-away" TV's....
    Just what I've been told

I think I see what Vizio is doing which is just good business. They have founded their business on good quality price point TV's and now they are leveraging that market position which I understand has paid off in huge sales. They are moving to a very good quality reputation. I have not had my Sony KDL-W3000 1080p LCD TV long but I have not seen a better looking screen out there accept the Pioneer plasmas which cost cosiderably more. I was at Sam's Club and looked at the new 47"LCD 1080p Vizio and was extremely impressed with the picture on this TV especially considering its 1400.00 dollar price. So I say buy one if that is your budget.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by captjamo
    I think I see what Vizio is doing which is just good business. They have founded their business on good quality price point TV's and now they are leveraging that market position which I understand has paid off in huge sales. They are moving to a very good quality reputation. I have not had my Sony KDL-W3000 1080p LCD TV long but I have not seen a better looking screen out there accept the Pioneer plasmas which cost cosiderably more. I was at Sam's Club and looked at the new 47"LCD 1080p Vizio and was extremely impressed with the picture on this TV especially considering its 1400.00 dollar price. So I say buy one if that is your budget.
    After I posted here earlier I came across a Vizio...I'll have to say they are a impressive looking TV!

Forum Regular
    Heck...I was thinking of a flat screen on my wall in my bedroom!
    I'm gonna do some more research on these.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by alt4
    After I posted here earlier I came across a Vizio...I'll have to say they are a impressive looking TV!

Its so nice to hear a compliment on Vizio.
    A lot of nimrods on this site , most of who wouldnt know a decent picture if it was an original of the Mona Lisa, love to denigrate Vizio.
    Well, my 37in is about a year and a half old now, and no problems.
    And the picture is outstanding.
    Is a Sony BETTER? OF COURSE.
    But a B&W is better than a ford mustang, but that doesnt mean that the mustang isnt a nice car.
    Vizio does something I REALLY LIKE, they put a lot of value into an inexpensive product.
    They allow a lot of dreamers to actually own a decent display that otherwise couldnt afford one.
    They arent liquid nitrogen cooled CRT fantasy stuff like sir talky prattles on about, but they are HT grade, and computer grade as well
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Its so nice to hear a compliment on Vizio.
    A lot of nimrods on this site , most of who wouldnt know a decent picture if it was an original of the Mona Lisa, love to denigrate Vizio.
    Well, my 37in is about a year and a half old now, and no problems.
    And the picture is outstanding.
    Is a Sony BETTER? OF COURSE.
    But a B&W is better than a ford mustang, but that doesnt mean that the mustang isnt a nice car.
    Vizio does something I REALLY LIKE, they put a lot of value into an inexpensive product.
    They allow a lot of dreamers to actually own a decent display that otherwise couldnt afford one.
    They arent liquid nitrogen cooled CRT fantasy stuff like sir talky prattles on about, but they are HT grade, and computer grade as well

Nicely put!

I just think Vizio should now be a first place to look for the savy consumer/HT enthusiast. My son loves his 37" Vizio 2 years old no trouble.

Forum Regular
    I just think Vizio should now be a first place to look for the savy consumer/HT enthusiast. My son loves his 37" Vizio 2 years old no trouble.

Last part of your post I loved hearing!
    2 years old and no trouble...
    Def. gonna go with one in my bedroom!
    Thanks

Forum Regular
    I guess your sons 37" is in his bedroom?
    Is he happy with that size?

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by f0rge

I too have a 50" Plasma (Pioneer) and a 37" (Sony) upstairs. The Sony is almost 5 years old, and I have NO issues of "Burn In". I watch TV, and Movies upstairs. Used to have my XBOX 360 up there, but its now on the 50". Pixel is off his rocker.

BTW I DID rehang my Plasma myself after it was installed. I had to pull it off the wall and adjust the wiring routes. After I was done, I would ask for help in the future. The weight wasn't the real issue (120 lbs) but just the akward nature of moving it.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

To Alt4:
    My son is 26 and two years married. No kids yet but still limited in what he could spend on a TV. The Vizio was 800.00 at Sam's so he bought there. He plays a lot of XBOX 360 and watches Direct TV HD channels and loves it. 720p is excellent if the screen size is around 40". Any bigger and 1080p is better in my opinion.

Forum Regular
    To Alt4:
    My son is 26 and two years married. No kids yet but still limited in what he could spend on a TV. The Vizio was 800.00 at Sam's so he bought there. He plays a lot of XBOX 360 and watches Direct TV HD channels and loves it. 720p is excellent if the screen size is around 40". Any bigger and 1080p is better in my opinion.

Cool...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Vizio's are made here in america and are good quality TV's with middle of the road pictures. The pictures are above average but not the quality of the Major players like Sony, Samsung, Sharp and LG. If your on a tight budget they are worth the money. I know a few people that have them and I almost bought one for my son but decided to get him something else for christmas.
    Gotta correct you on one thing here, the Vizio TVs are made wherever Vizio can get the low bid, and none of this manufacturing occurs in the U.S.

TVs from the likes of Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, or Pioneer are designed internally and made at plants owned and operated by those companies. Vizio TVs are made solely by contract outsource manufacturers. Most of these outsource manufacturers are currently located in Mexico. Nothing inherently wrong with Mexican made TVs, but unlike other companies that operate manufacturing lines in Mexico, Vizio's business model maintains little if any control over the manufacturing process. This means little continuity from one model to another, especially if Vizio decides to change outsource partners. This is no different than how Apex Digital operated.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    As far as power. The cost for running a 52" LCD for a year is about $80 and for a 50" plasma its about $110.
    The power consumption argument can be iffy because LCD and plasma consume power very differently. The LCD relies on backlighting, which means that the power consumption will be relatively constant. Plasmas do not use backlighting, so the power consumption will greatly vary depending on the source and the settings. A dark image using a high contrast setting can actually use less power than a LCD set displaying that same image. Generally, plasma does consume more power, but that's not a constant.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 03-10-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information