View Poll Results: What means the most in your HT system? Audio or video?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Audio baby! If it doesn't sound right then who cares what it looks like?

20 71.43%
  • Video is where it's at. Check out the hot babes in HD!

8 28.57%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Video vs audio. Which means more for HT?

I know that this is a predominately audio board, but let's see what we get anyhow.
    If you had to choose between great audio for your HT system or a great video, what would you choose. Remember, we're talking about HT systems only.
    And before anyone asks, "Where is it written that we can not have BOTH great sound AND great video?" It is written here. YOU CAN NOT PICK BOTH GREAT AUDIO AND GREAT VIDEO! That's just too easy, and it would end up being the clear winner.
    So let's hear it. What means more to you and why. Would you rather have a killer 7.1 sound system and a 20" CRT, or a HTIB and a 100" 1080p knock your socks off display?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I went with audio - I find the good, big sound can have a way of involving you in the experience far more than a big picture regardless of video quality. Guess I could cheat and say the HT sound system can also be a killer music system, hence multi-purpose...an advantage over video I guess.
    That said, I'm pricing projectors now for the house I'm building this summer so what does that say?

I'm having a tough time choosing. One minute I want to say audio. There is no substitute for good sound IMO. But then the next minute I'm thinking that for HT all you need are a few speakers and a great picture. Where was HD when Bay Watch was on? (although I was thinking that I could have done without HD during parts of last night's Oscar awards)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

audio but..

I voted for audio but...
    It was a tough call for me as well because I have always believed that the audio plays a very important roll for the home theater experience but
    now with HD makes it all the better combined with great audio
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

OK, I'm still on the fence, but I voted video because I was feeling sorry for it. It's looking like a runaway for audio so far.

Audio! Yes, Hi-Def adds to the experience, no doubt, but if the sound isn't adquate or at least up to the standard of the video presentation, the whole experience goes south!
    Here's a way to determine what's more important. How much time do you put in to tweaking you picture quality? How much time do you put into tweaking the audio quality. I know I'm always trying experimenting and tweaking the audio ultimately trying to get the best out of my system. You can do alot with the video qualty, but after a while, it is what it is. 720p is 720p. 1080p is 1080p Once the setting for video is in place, It's pretty much a wrap. Not so with audio. The possibilities are endless.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

Who the hell picked Video?!!!!!
    ldgibson76

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    OK, I'm still on the fence, but I voted video because I was feeling sorry for it. It's looking like a runaway for audio so far.
    You're such a wuss! (only kidding)!
    ldgibson76

I don't think anyone would care for a movie with a million dollar audio system if the screen was 10 inches wide.

Quote Originally Posted by ldgibson76
    You're such a wuss! (only kidding)!
    Somebody had to spread the love.

Suspended
    Just by virtue of the moniker "Home Theater", isn't the obvious answer Video? You're trying to simulate a movie theater experience, and even though a sound system exists at the theater, the focus is on the picture. That's my opinion.

For HT? No question

I know that this is a predominately audio board, but let's see what we get anyhow.
    If you had to choose between great audio for your HT system or a great video, what would you choose. Remember, we're talking about HT systems only.
    For me video pulls ahead. As between HT and music overall, music wins. But my HT system is 98% for TV and movies, so video wins out.

This said, I'm still getting by with a 27" CRT

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Just by virtue of the moniker "Home Theater", isn't the obvious answer Video? You're trying to simulate a movie theater experience, and even though a sound system exists at the theater, the focus is on the picture. That's my opinion.
    Rich!

You're killin me here! Tell you what, Once your system is up and fully functional, put in the most dynamic action movie you own, then set the 3800 to mono! Better yet, defeat the subwoofer! Believe me, your thrill for great video will diminish quickly. Very similar to the initial delivery of your 3800 and watching Magilla drop it! (I know, that hurt but, I had to hit home to get my point across(smile). It's all about the audio. That gives you the emotion! Watch a movie without the sound! Ya can't do it! Even with subtitles, you need the audio to keep you interested!
    Audio, audio, audio! It's why IMAX is IMAX! Yes the picture is astonishing, but the Sound! That's on a whole nutha level!
    ldgibson76

Somebody had to spread the love.
    I feel ya, man!
    By the way, after I check out your photo gallery, I digress, You are no wuss at all! You are the man! As a matter of fact, a straight "Pimp"! The pad gives you away. Mauve walls, blue carpet....That's pimpin! Not to mention the photos of all the babes! Your pimpage is of clandestine nature. And the remote control photo, more evidence of your pimpage!
    ldgibson76

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Idgibson
    Watch a movie...
    You just proved my case with these three words. You can't watch a movie if there's no video. The visual experience is what your brain processes first and foremost. Seeing what's happeneing is what makes you think to yourself... I knew he/she was going to do that, or wow! I wasn't expecting her to say that. Put it another way... the sound doesn't allow you to judge the difference between right and wrong in say, a movie like Batman, where the good guys and bad guys are visual stimulation to your brain.

I could see though where people's passion for music could cross over into the TV/movie watching realm.

Suspended
    Okay, I just re-read the original post. "Great video or Great audio". I didn't realize the topic was about the quality of the audio or the quality of the video, but if the pic was black & white, and the audio was mono, video would still get my vote.

Suspended
    Rich!

...Once your system is up and fully functional, put in the most dynamic action movie you own

"I'm Batman"

"I'm Batman"
    Have a Snickers. You won't be going anywhere for awhile.

Okay, I just re-read the original post. "Great video or Great audio". I didn't realize the topic was about the quality of the audio or the quality of the video, but if the pic was black & white, and the audio was mono, video would still get my vote.
    Yes, video is where it starts, but the audio keeps you there to the finish!
    ldgibson76

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    For me video pulls ahead. As between HT and music overall, music wins. But my HT system is 98% for TV and movies, so video wins out.

This said, I'm still getting by with a 27" CRT
    Weren't the pics of my receiver in the cabinet next to my 27" TV any comfort to you at all Feanor?

Yes, video is where it starts, but the audio keeps you there to the finish!
    This may be the key. HT starts with the video. I did spend more on my video than I have on the audio. I have spent many a Sunday watching a football game while the audio was switched to music. I don't remember every listening to a show while watching a concert.

20" CRT.....Dang GM can a brotha get at least 36"?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    20" CRT.....Dang GM can a brotha get at least 36"?
    Nope, and while you're at it, make in B&W.

Forum Regular
    Man...I actually sat there 5 mins deciding!

Quote Originally Posted by alt4
    Man...I actually sat there 5 mins deciding!
    Hey there new guy. Welcome to AR!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information