Video conector question for HDMI cables

Hello all,

Is there a difference between VGA 5 pin connectors and HDMI 15 pin connectors? I am looking at these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-348 and these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-360

My goal is to connect HDMI cables for a projector. Are either if these what I'll need?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hi GMichael,

I guess you get me as the booby prize again. I check this video section a few times a day--not much activity. I guess audio is where it's at. Anyway, VGA and HDMI are two different animals entirely. VGA is primarily an analog PC standard that is compatible with HDTV in really only one convenient way--via a transcoder to component video. The reason why VGA and component intersected in the first place was that the pioneering RCA DTC-100 HDTV tuner came with only a VGA output. RCA happened to guess wrong about which analog HD format would become the standard in consumer video. Component easily won the day, creating a market for a transcoder that would allow the DTC-100's VGA output to mate with the vast majority of HDTVs on the market. It wasn't foolproof either. Thankfully, precious few consumer-video devices need such a transcoder any more, though PCs still have a use for them.

Now that digital DVI and HDMI have superceded analog component on HDTVs, VGA has fallen even further by the wayside as an option for them. No simple bridge between the analog and digital standards exists. Unless you intend to use your HD display as an analog PC monitor for resolutions and refresh rates compatible with it (however many they are), I personally see no need for a VGA input at all. HDMI is certainly the order of the day for the foreseeable future of HDTV, but having component capability as well might not be a bad idea, if only to serve as a back-up or to connect with older sources lacking digital outputs.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

You are not the booby prize though. I was thinking that you'd be the one to answer.

I have not had luck finding wall plates for HDMI connections. I saw HDTV on one of these and thought I had found what I needed. Too bad, soo sad. My quest continues.

HDMI wall plates.... HDMI wall plates.... Does anyone sell, HDMI wall plates?

Thanks again for all your help Ed.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

My pleasure. Did you try Ram Electronics on the web?

ARRRG.... These things cost as much as the 25' cables. So far Ram is the cheapest at $30. And I'll need 4.

Thanks

Edit: Found them for 12.45 each. 6.05 frieght, and the 4 come to less than $56. That's more like it.

Thread Information