VGA OR DVI-VGA cable for HD projector?

Hello all. Does anyone know if there is an advantage with using VGA or DVI-VGA cables? I am having my house pre-wired before the dry walls go in. The projectors I bought (Sanyo Z4) have 21 pin connectors for computers. The manual states that I can use either but doesn't say which is better. The run from the computer room to either projector will be about 25 feet.

Thanks
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

HI GMichael,

If you're talking about straight analog VGA vs. a DVI-I to VGA connection, there shouldn't be any difference in quality, maybe only in price, since DVI-A reduces to VGA. I don't understand what you're trying to connect to the projector. These two options to a projector are usually associated with using a PC as a source. Remember, you can't use DVI-D (digital DVI) with VGA without an expensive adaptor, since digital DVI and analog DVI and VGA are incompatible. Very few consumer-video components feature an analog DVI-I or DVI-A output. Thus, no DVD player or STB with a DVI output would be compatible with analog VGA.

This edit comes from my having taken a look at the specs for the Sanyo Z4. The projector seems to have all of the requisite HT outputs--HDMI, component, S-video, and composite--as well as a 15-pin D-sub VGA connection for a computer or an older STB. I must be missing something in your original question, unless you mistakenly thought that going from DVI-D to VGA was a legitimate option. It ain't. You can go from DVI-D to HDMI, however. Am I on the right track?

Ed
    Last edited by edtyct; 05-24-2006 at 05:59 AM.

Hi edtyct, Thanks for the reply.

While looking through a copy of my manual I saw (page 9) a computer conection. It advises me to see page 17 for more details. Here I see that I can use a VGA cable or a DVI-VGA cable. I do not know if one is any better than the other. Does it matter? Or does it depend on what connector my PC has?

Thanks
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Nah, it doesn't matter. Just use whatever the PC has.

Thread Information