Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661

    various speaker setup for DTS blu-ray movies...

    I found various suggestions for speaker placement on the dts website. I'm guessing the new audio formats require new speaker placement to achieve the best sound possible. I'm trying to find the best 7.1 placement for blu-ray, but it more confusing than ever.
    As a side note, DD seems to keep the same legacy setup.

    Take a look...
    DTS:
    http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electron...gurations.aspx

    Side note, at least dts is doing an online video to get the average user to enjoy the experience. Now, where is my drink?

  2. #2
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    This is the only placement you need, and what we use at Disney for our home theater mixes

    http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electron...81EB6F952.ashx

    I use this one in one of my setups

    http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electron...C212A0BDA.ashx

    The rest of those speaker placements are just suggestions. Some of these suggestions will result in very weird spatial placement of effects.

    These placements were to be apart of the Dts decoder which would have allowed virtual adjustments of the speakers for systems that had speaker setups in non optimal placements.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 11-20-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  3. #3
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    Good find Heel, its always good to have a source of reference, I just wish I had a room that match the specs so I could use my full 7.1 capability
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  4. #4
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    I found various suggestions for speaker placement on the dts website. I'm guessing the new audio formats require new speaker placement to achieve the best sound possible. I'm trying to find the best 7.1 placement for blu-ray, but it more confusing than ever.
    As a side note, DD seems to keep the same legacy setup.

    Take a look...
    DTS:
    http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electron...gurations.aspx

    Side note, at least dts is doing an online video to get the average user to enjoy the experience. Now, where is my drink?
    WHY SHOULD they require "new" placement? If your old speaker setup was optimal,
    then it should work fine for the new formats, just sound better.
    SIMPLE THINGS, like using a sound level meter, or one of the new computerized
    adjustment systems, like Audyssey, will do more for your system than anything else,
    weather a "new" format or not.
    I DIDNT THINK there was much room for improvement with the new formats, but after
    running Audyssey my jaw dropeth. THE SOUND is dynamic, full bodied, and amazing, really.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  5. #5
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    WHY SHOULD they require "new" placement? If your old speaker setup was optimal,
    then it should work fine for the new formats, just sound better.
    SIMPLE THINGS, like using a sound level meter, or one of the new computerized
    adjustment systems, like Audyssey, will do more for your system than anything else,
    weather a "new" format or not.
    I DIDNT THINK there was much room for improvement with the new formats, but after
    running Audyssey my jaw dropeth. THE SOUND is dynamic, full bodied, and amazing, really.
    I use a spl meter and moving speakers 2 feet here or there may make a big difference.(i think)..hence the question.
    Some of the suggested setups has the rear surrounds angled and that is NEW. I may just experiment....

  6. #6
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    I use a spl meter and moving speakers 2 feet here or there may make a big difference.(i think)..hence the question.
    Some of the suggested setups has the rear surrounds angled and that is NEW. I may just experiment....
    Can't hurt. Much. If your current setup sounds pretty good I would place tape or something to
    help remember your old setup. Constant tweaking and obsessive concern with perfection
    is what separates the men from the boys in this hobby.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •