AR Newbie Registered Member

Question A/V Receiver vs Amp/Pre Amp

hey, I recently posted asking about A/V receivers and Amps and got some good responses. The question I have here is...what would be better to use if these were available: HD TV, a PS3 so Blu Ray and HDMI enabled.

For arguments sake say I have two main speakers or we just don't need to look into that. If I'm looking to add good sound primarily to a hd movie and gaming experience what would be better for me to use...an a/v receiver, or an amp/pre amp/integrated even? I know that a receiver will add decoding and processing for surround sound but if I wasn't looking for surrounded sound at this point, just 2 high quality mains?...do you need a receiver if you want surround sound?

Would having the PS3 hooked up to the receiver and tv with all hdmi produce a better picture and sound than have the PS3 hooked up hdmi straight to the tv and then the amp/pre amp installed with it? I was in an electronics store today and I saw a blu ray player, hdmi to hd tv, and then all that was hooked up to a pre amp and power amp and that's what got me thinking about how much better would it be if I'd connect it all through a receiver. Sorry theres many questions, I hope that makes sense...thanks a lot.

I'm not aware of any adapters yet other than av/receivers that allow you to connect more than one HDMI device. I will have to get a new av/receiver myself as I already have two HDMI units and may buy a blu-ray, and I can only connect one.
    As for using a stereo receiver for surround sound. You maybe able to simulate surround sound by using a computer soundcard. But since most movies have stereo tracks it's not a big deal except for newer movies with lots of graphic sounds. I listen to lots of older movies in MC stereo.

You can get pre-pros that do HT surround as well as 2 channel music. In most cases, they will do a better job than an AV receiver. But they do cost more. Not all of the cheaper pre-pros have all the latest connectors that you can get with a mid priced receiver. It's up to your budget to decide.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    It would depend on if you want surround sound later or not.If not,no need for a reciever,integrated is the way to go or a preamp and amp.If you want surround later then you would need a reciever or a pre/pro and amp.For surround a pre/pro and amp is better for sure but would cost much more than typical reciever.You need an idea on what your budget will be.A really good pre/pro and amp combo would start at 6k to 8k and go up to whatever.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    I'm not aware of any adapters yet other than av/receivers that allow you to connect more than one HDMI device. I will have to get a new av/receiver myself as I already have two HDMI units and may buy a blu-ray, and I can only connect one.
    As for using a stereo receiver for surround sound. You maybe able to simulate surround sound by using a computer soundcard. But since most movies have stereo tracks it's not a big deal except for newer movies with lots of graphic sounds. I listen to lots of older movies in MC stereo.
    I have a two into one switcher that I got from monoprice for 25 bucks or so, works like a charm.
    CIRCUIT City had a hdmi switcher with remote and several inputs for about 200 bucks, but it was quality
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Don't you think running hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of gear through a $25.00 switcher would have an adverse effect on the sound.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Don't you think running hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of gear through a $25.00 switcher would have an adverse effect on the sound.

bill
    Well, the key word there is "THINK" and so I rest my case. Also, you have to remember we are talking about imaginary equipment.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999

bill
    It might except that what I am running through it is a samsung universal dvd
    and a motorolla cable box, the audio is going out through coax and 5.1 out
    (for dvd audio and SACD)
    Since peruvian schizo and I have the same dvd player I am of course changing it out, must be something wrong with it.
    And peruvian, just because your girlfriends are imaginary doesnt mean my equipment is.
    If I was bragging about "imaginary" gear I would have picked a lot cooler stuff.
    My newest componet is two years old
    BTW I A-B-ed the switcher forever, noticed no picture loss.
    This companies switchgear is highly regarded
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    What i said should go for video as well.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster