Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NV, USA
    Posts
    138

    A/V Receiver bang for the buck

    I apologize for not using the search function, but I'm at work and need to keep this on the down-low. Looking for an inexpensive receiver for small game room. Want to spend no more than 500.00, is it possible to get a great sounding unit for powering Klipsch XB series speakers?

    Thanks a bunch guys and gals!

  2. #2
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    Others may disagree but I like the Harman Kardon 3490. Warm sound, lots of power-120wpc, high current-30 peak amps, has preamp (in caset you want to use a separate power amp in the future and use the HK as a preamp only) and sub outs with phono preamp and remote. Can handle 4-8ohm speakers. it leans to the warmer side and would be a great match for the Klipsch.

    Here's some info on it- http://stereos.about.com/od/stereore.../fr/HK3490.htm

    And here's a review of the 3370 an earlier version of the 3490- http://www.affordableaudio.org/HK3374.pdf

    Here's a great price on it- http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B00198F89A

    Another option would be to spend a little more money and get the Outlaw Audio RR2150
    www.outlawaudio.com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  3. #3
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    Sorry DH, I didnt see that your wanted a n AVR, instead of a 2ch. I would look at this Onkyo 607

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...%20607&Q=&N=0&
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NV, USA
    Posts
    138
    Thanks a bunch for the information, it is really hard to stick to the budget. I'm always tempted to upgrade the NAD and use the current NAD for the game room

  5. #5
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    Check out these NAD specials- http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...d_specials.htm

    Also check out Saturday Audio's demo gear, there are some good buys.

    And check out the NAD deals at www.spearitsound.com

    http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    22
    Back in 2002, I bought a Marantz SR-5000 DTS and it rocked my socks before I converted to 2 channel only. Onkyo, HK, Denon, Yamaha... those are also good receivers to pick up for economic enjoyment!!!

    Let us know what you choose.
    "If only sleep and work didn't interfere with my listening sessions" =D

    Preamp : Rotel RC-1082
    Amp : Rotel RB-1050
    Speakers : Kef Coda 70
    Velodyne VX-11
    CD : Rotel RCD-1072
    Turntable : Sony PS-LX1
    Power : Monster Power HTS 3600

  7. #7
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Dont care for Pioneers plastic receivers, but the 400 dollar one got listed as a best buy by Sound and Vision mag.
    AND I second Onkyo in any price range.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  8. #8
    Forum Regular BadAssJazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    Thanks a bunch for the information, it is really hard to stick to the budget. I'm always tempted to upgrade the NAD and use the current NAD for the game room
    These days you can get pretty much everything that you need in a $500 receiver. It's not like the Dark Ages of AVR's when you could drop $500, knowing full well that you're only setting yourself up for your next upgrade, because it lacked just about everything that you wanted in that next tier receiver.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

    http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

  9. #9
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    These days you can get pretty much everything that you need in a $500 receiver. It's not like the Dark Ages of AVR's when you could drop $500, knowing full well that you're only setting yourself up for your next upgrade, because it lacked just about everything that you wanted in that next tier receiver.
    Must control fist of death.

    Receivers of old were real audiophile devices.
    My first, a yamaha, had 35 real watts of power per channel.
    My last, a 75 wpc Denon, had dual chassis(preamp amd amp) several power supplies,
    and cost 600 (2400 in todays scratch.
    Todays receivers do more, but you need to spend at least a grand to get anything much
    above the HTIB level.
    And then you need outboard amps.
    Todays receivers can put out 100wpc into seven channels...
    for about ten seconds.
    We have gained volkswagens, but have lost Lambos.
    And are the poorer for it.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  10. #10
    nightflier
    Guest
    But he's driving Klipsch speakers, so I doubt he'll need more power than 100W.

  11. #11
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1
    Hey Guys,

    I stumbled onto this thread as I too am looking for an AVR in the same category as the original poster. I've enjoyed reading the posts thus far. If one or more of you find the time to respond to my questions I would appreciate it.

    I had a Panasonic SAHE 200 MOS-FET I bought back in 2003 that recently crashed and burned. The unit seemed rich on features but I soon realized the advertised 100 watts per channel was rated in two channels only and couldn't drive my four Acoustic Research AR11 speakers as well as I hoped. My casual listener ears were a bit disappointed at the sound quality.

    I noticed that BlackRaven recommended the Onkyo 607. cnet recommends the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, but pixelthis was turned off by mid-market Pioneer cases. So I guess I'm deciding between these two units. I would be very interested to get your thoughts.

    Thank you for your time.

    SuperMike in San Diego

    ______________
    System:
    Receiver: None at this time
    Speakers: 4 Acoustic Research AR11
    Center Speaker: Acoustic Research AR2C
    Sub: Acoustic Research S112PS

  12. #12
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMike
    Hey Guys,

    I stumbled onto this thread as I too am looking for an AVR in the same category as the original poster. I've enjoyed reading the posts thus far. If one or more of you find the time to respond to my questions I would appreciate it.

    I had a Panasonic SAHE 200 MOS-FET I bought back in 2003 that recently crashed and burned. The unit seemed rich on features but I soon realized the advertised 100 watts per channel was rated in two channels only and couldn't drive my four Acoustic Research AR11 speakers as well as I hoped. My casual listener ears were a bit disappointed at the sound quality.

    I noticed that BlackRaven recommended the Onkyo 607. cnet recommends the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, but pixelthis was turned off by mid-market Pioneer cases. So I guess I'm deciding between these two units. I would be very interested to get your thoughts.

    Thank you for your time.

    SuperMike in San Diego

    ______________
    System:
    Receiver: None at this time
    Speakers: 4 Acoustic Research AR11
    Center Speaker: Acoustic Research AR2C
    Sub: Acoustic Research S112PS
    Afraid I WAS a tad harsh.
    Truth is I used to love Pioneer, hate what they have become(except for their elite line
    of course).
    However I had a link (and lost it) to a double-blind test with some pretty serious
    gear, an amp test.
    They included one of Pioneers 350 dollar plastic specials, and it did quite well
    compared to some stuff costing 20x as much!
    You want to hunt down the link its in a thread in general audio.
    Good luck
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  13. #13
    nightflier
    Guest
    Dharris, does it have to be new? For $500 you could do pretty well on the used market too (Arcam, Integra, NAD), especially if you're willing to use 5.1 analog inputs instead of HDMI for sound.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    mia fl
    Posts
    451
    pixelthis" love your avatar (class-y" man!!)
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

  15. #15
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NV, USA
    Posts
    138
    I went with the AVR-590, I have had Denon before and loved the sound matched with bright speakers.

    Thank you all for the input and suggestions.

    Don

  16. #16
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    pixelthis" love your avatar (class-y" man!!)
    THANKS.
    One of, if not the best album ever made, both technically and artistically.
    Never gonna get a bunch like that in the same room again
    MILES DAVIS
    "CANNONBALL" ADDERLY
    JOHN COLTRANE,
    BILL EVANS
    PAUL CHAMBERS
    JIMMY COBB
    The musical equivalent of Enstein, newton, leonardo davinci, Nickolai TELSA,
    ALL TOGETHER.
    You know, some think that its important that all be in the same room when recording
    (sometimes they're not).
    Thought it was so important that they founded Sheffield labs, all of whose albums
    were recorded "live" in the studio.
    And their albums are some of the best demos.
    But thats the way they were all made (pretty much) when Kinda Blue was made.
    It wasnt Davis' favorite, but, IMHO, its the best he ever did.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  17. #17
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Dharris, does it have to be new? For $500 you could do pretty well on the used market too (Arcam, Integra, NAD), especially if you're willing to use 5.1 analog inputs instead of HDMI for sound.
    Man, you aren't kidding. My Arcam AVP 700 preamp was $2,500 new. You can grab one used for $700 without even trying to bargain too hard and it is an amazingly musical preamp. Like you said, there are great deals on lots of preamps and receivers. The one thing they all pretty much seem to lack is HDMI switching but if you can live without that, and it really isn't much of a hardship with a decent programmable remote, there are some incredible buys out there right now. I think if I was really on a budget I'd look for a used Denon 3806 and use the analog inputs for Blu ray and call it a day.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NV, USA
    Posts
    138
    After some more research I returned the unopened Denon 590 and bought the Onkyo T-SR607. From what I have read the 607 is a kick but inexpensive receiver.

  19. #19
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    After some more research I returned the unopened Denon 590 and bought the Onkyo T-SR607. From what I have read the 607 is a kick but inexpensive receiver.
    GOOD choice my man.
    Two Integras and a friend that has two Onkyos(why I bought the Integras).
    Over a decade or so and no problemo.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  20. #20
    Forum Regular winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    mia fl
    Posts
    451

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    THANKS.
    One of, if not the best album ever made, both technically and artistically.
    Never gonna get a bunch like that in the same room again
    MILES DAVIS
    "CANNONBALL" ADDERLY
    JOHN COLTRANE,
    BILL EVANS
    PAUL CHAMBERS
    JIMMY COBB
    The musical equivalent of Enstein, newton, leonardo davinci, Nickolai TELSA,
    ALL TOGETHER.
    You know, some think that its important that all be in the same room when recording
    (sometimes they're not).
    Thought it was so important that they founded Sheffield labs, all of whose albums
    were recorded "live" in the studio.
    And their albums are some of the best demos.
    But thats the way they were all made (pretty much) when Kinda Blue was made.
    It wasnt Davis' favorite, but, IMHO, its the best he ever did.
    Sorry guys Lil' bit off topic here" but I really get (excited) when ever time i read stuff like this, (Dead onn>>>> jazzzz pixelthis)
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •