Forum Regular

A/V DVD Receiver

If you were limited on space and needed to get a unit that did double duty would you consider this unit from Sony?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-AVD-C700ES-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or would this Pioneer Elite setup be more appealing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-ELITE-EX...QQcmdZViewItem

Also found this review here on audioreview.com:
    http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/pione...4_1587crx.aspx

I've heard good things about those Sony ES all in one units. If I was wanted to keep a system all in one box I would definitely go for that.

Forum Regular

Some Words of Advice on DVD Receivers

Until about a year ago, I was using JVC RX-DV31SL which I'd definately recommend if you are going to go with a DVD receiver. It lists for $450 but you can get it way under that new online or even less used on Ebay. This receiver plays DVD-A and you don't need to get 6 additional cables because of the way it is integrated to play DVD-A. It integrates everything excellently and I used it with my Orb 5.1 Mod 1 System which Orb recommended. I thought the sound was very good with the Orbs. This system sounded better to me then alot of high end seperate DVD players & receivers.

Here's the thing though. Through trial and error, I bought a seperate DVD player (Harmon Kardon 31) & a seperate Denon Receiver (3801) & the difference in sound was significant for DVD's, CDs & TV. If sound quality is of major importance too you, I'd go with a seperate DVD player & receiver which spacially really won't be much difference, just make sure you do notice a difference in sound. The one thing I don't buy is the argument, well what if your DVD player portion of it breaks down- the chances are slim of that happening and if it does you can either connect another DVD player through it, get it fixed or buy another system.

Yes, in addition to what EG said I was going to add that I recalled one of the weaknesses of this unit was the video quality of the DVDp wasn't great. so maybe separates are the way to go.

Cool

I would go with the Pioneer, if I had to choose between the two.

Sony just is not that good at DVD player integration and their audio processing is not much better.

I can not remember where I saw it but I think Denon and Klipsch have some similar offerings that would probably give you better performance if space is truly your primary consideration.

I agree with the others, separates really are the way to go if performance is your priority.

Thread Information