AR Newbie Registered Member

used AV receiver under $200

First off I love these forums! I first found them back in the early 00's, when I was looking to upgrade my HTIB speakers. My current Yamaha HTR-5240(70x5)that came with the HTIB needs replaced(rear channel isn't working) ,but I'm low on cash. The way the room is setup, I'll never be able to have anything over a 5.1 setup, but I'd buy a 6 or 7.1 if it was a good deal. The room with the TV is roughly 21x13 with a large picture window on one side and the other side is open(it's basically just one large room that's divided into living, kitchen and dining room by the countertop island). I've got a pair of paradigm monitor 7's v2, cc-370v2, cinema adp v2 and a pdr10. Currently I've got a regular old 36" tube tv, no blueray, ps3 etc, but will probably get a tv and blueray sometime in the future. Looking on ebay, I was surprised to see receivers that were $800+ a few years ago for under $200, but I've got no idea which one to go with. Some that caught my eye Denon 2802, 3802, 3803, Yamaha 1400, 995 and others by onkyo, nad, HK and marantz. I would really appreciate the help. THANKS

If your ok without the latest bells, whistle's and formats then a used AVR is definitely the way to go.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I like the Onkyo's. A TX605 maybe. The higher the number on the last Denon digit the more up to date it is, like a 2806, 5, 4.... will be more current than a 2802. If you can find one of those Panasonic digital receivers they were supposed to be terrific sounding. If you aren't worried about HDMI etc. it should be your candy shop. Is Craidslist local in your area? BTW, if memory serves the Yamaha 1400 was pretty well loaded. Pioneer Elite in past couple years was said to be good too.

Really just look for what you think is a good deal and then check to see if it has the features you will need. With Paradigm I believe Onkyo or another similar high current brand may be best.

My personal bias, I'd stay away from Sony receivers.

Check out the used and demo area at www.saturdayaudio.com You can usually find an Integra AVR for dirt cheap.

I just checked, they have a demo Interga DTR-5.6 for $299 and it sold new for $800.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, that integra is really nice, but probably out of my price range. Ebay has a couple 5.5 and 5.3 integras, are those solid receivers?

Suspended
    Integra is typically synonomous with "solid".

Forum Regular
    I'm in a similar situation. I've actually won a couple of auctions on eBay for a Denon AVR 3300 and 3803, both of which were right around $200. I'll be selling at least one of them. I've also started considering whether I should look at a slightly older AVR with a really solid amp section, like a 4800, 5700 or even a 5800 (albeit for a bit more $), figuring that I can add the latest bells and whistles with a new pre/processor when I'm ready to, continuing to use the amp section in the original AVR. I'm not sure how much sense that makes, but it may be the type of thing you might want to consider. I've also looked for integrated amps, since I really don't need a tuner, but there's seems to be far less choice than in the AVR field.

Suspended
    I don't think I'd use a receiver as a power amp. You'd be far better off getting a separate power amp and then just upgrade your preamp section as you go.

These are priced good new: www.emotiva.com

Forum Regular
    I've seen quite a few high-end (in their day) HK AVR's going for under the $200 range on my local CL.

nightflier
    For $200 that's asking a lot. I'm pretty good at bargain-hunting, but I think Robin Williams said it best: "you can't make butter with a toothpick." Yes, some HK receivers are being auctioned off for under that, but by the time they sell, they are a bit more. Maybe a 2-channel integrated amp might be the place to start and build from there.

Forum Regular
    Depends on the location. I bought an an HK AVR7000 for $100 for a second rig. I've seen several listed for sale on the cheap (not auctions). I guess it just depends on how much time you have to look for the right deal.

LMB
    Forum Regular
    I have a Pioneer Elite 55TXI for sale if your interested

Thread Information