Thread: Upgrade

Forum Regular

Upgrade

I currently have a stereo setup with my Bose 3 series speakers, but I would like to expand to a full suround sound setup. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to expand. I would like to reuse the Bose speakers, and my reciever in the setup. So I'm really looking for a center and a left and right speaker, and probably a subwofer. Keep in mind I am a college student so I don't have a ton of cast to throw around. Anything in the 500-1000 doller range will probably work. I can also go the modular buy in instalments rout if that doesn't sound like enough cash. Any advice would be greatly apriciated.

You would be better off asigining your current pair of speakers to rear surround duty and picking up a matched set of front R/L and their matching center.

It's generally accepted that the front three speakers will produce a better, more evenly balanced sound stage if they are timbre matched and this is generally done by using a center designed to match the R/L mains.

Of course, others may have different opinions, but this does not make mine incorrect.

Forum Regular
    Agreed. Here the best option for you is to sell the AM series 3 speakers you presently have and put that money towards a new system. Personal plug here, but if you like the looks of the ceramic blue/silver nOrh I have a set for sale for $425 plus shipping. Combine that with a HSU VTF-2 MKII for $524 delivered and you should be set for a long time to come. Of course, that is also assuming your receiver is surround rather than stereo.

For new systems, you could go with the HSU Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo for $736 delivered, the B-stock Rocket Tyke with a UFW-10 for $848 plus shipping or ELT package for $999 plus shipping, Home Theater Direct Level 3 combo Y in black for $999 (believe that is delivered), or Ascend Acoustics S22-11 package for $988 delivered (includes 3 CBM-170s, pair HTM-200, HSU STF-1). Those are all factory direct manufacturers. Keep in mind there are a multitude of speakers available locally to you, anything from Def Tech, PSB, and Paradigm to Klipsch, B&W, and NHT to name a few.

Forum Regular
    After reading through these forums I would like to sell the Bose speakers, they were however a gift so I can't really go that rout. If anyone could suggest some good center l/r choices that would be great.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I wouldn't worry

Quote Originally Posted by DelSi
    After reading through these forums I would like to sell the Bose speakers, they were however a gift so I can't really go that rout. If anyone could suggest some good center l/r choices that would be great.
    The 3's used as surround speakers will work fine. The problem with reccomending speakers is first you have to decide your budget for your front three speakers.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    500 give or take a hundred for the fronts

Thread Information