Forum Regular

too many choices ... too difficult decisions

Am I normal

There are many choices of home theatre systems. Tons of combinations for speakers, sub woofer, receiver. How can anyone test all these and pick one. All has good reviews.

Athena, Polk, Klispch, Mirage, Definitive tech, Infinity, Atlantic tech, HSU, Boston acoustics, JM Lab, KEF, Rocket tykes ,MK K5,HTIB systems ,ORB Audio

Each may be at different store. Shudn't I suppose to zero on couple and visit only those systems.
    Given 1500$ range, wat do u suggest guyz ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by motiram
    Am I normal
    If you're here, the chance is highly unlikely

There are many choices of home theatre systems. Tons of combinations for speakers, sub woofer, receiver. How can anyone test all these and pick one. All has good reviews.
    Use the reviews as a basic guideline and definitely take each with a grain of salt. Your review is the only one that matters.

Athena, Polk, Klispch, Mirage, Definitive tech, Infinity, Atlantic tech, HSU, Boston acoustics, JM Lab, KEF, Rocket tykes ,MK K5,HTIB systems ,ORB Audio
    You forgot B&W, Paradigm, Mission, Von Schweikert, AN, Vandersteen, Wharfedale, Epos...

Each may be at different store. Shudn't I suppose to zero on couple and visit only those systems. Given 1500$ range, wat do u suggest guyz ?????????
    Doesn't matter. We don't have your taste in music, your room acoustics, your preferences, your money (well, you can give me that if you want to), and most importantly your ears.

Remember, this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Listen to as much as you can, use common sense (i.e. don't drive 500 miles just to hear one speaker to see if it's better), and enjoy your choice without worry. This is suppossed to be fun, remember?

Forum Regular
    Hehe, u got a funny reply there It was fun when I started, but now its not anymore. I am tired looking at all choices. I will start off my search in a new way now. Planning to go to definitive tech store today, to check them out. I will go around n check some systems, to exactly know what people are talking about here in these forums

Forum Regular
    1. What is your room size (think L x W x H dimensions)? Listening preferences (music vs HT)? Any openings?

2. What sound do you enjoy? Electrostat, planer, underwater, etc?

3. What gear do you need? Are we talking speakers and sub? Receiver as well? Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, onions, pickles, on a sesame bun?

4. Any WAF or SAF involved?

Depends on your approach, goals, and attitude towards building whatever it is that you want. Actually for a complete system I wouldn't think there would be all that many options for 1,500 bucks. If it really is starting to take it's toll on you I would suggest you change your strategy. By eliminating several of the elements and focusing for now on the basics of two main speakers and a receiver things may be easier to get a handle on. Surround, center, and sub can come at a later date. This would offer the additional benefit of giving time to build up some more cash for some quality pieces that you may not be able to buy all at once. You could even pick some speakers to use for mains that you know would be relegated to surround status so when the budget allowed you could purchase a matched set for the front, by far to most important to have voice matched.

Just an idea and meant to be taking as such. Good luck and remember that it's supposed to fun.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information