• 01-13-2008, 02:22 AM
    diggity
    updating speakers, need help, any suggestions?
    hi my name is daran and i am new to this site. i am looking at updating my system to better speakers and would be grateful for any ideas. the budget i am setting for myself would be about US$3000 - 4000. i am currently using yamaha rxv-2700 with sony bdps1 blu ray player. would prefer floor standing speakers. my room is open plan. please feel free to help me.

thanx daran
  • 01-13-2008, 10:01 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Hi Daran, Welcome to Audioreview. Most of the other members would ask you this also.
    Are you looking to build a full 5.1 speaker system? What brands are available in your area? It's much easier to recommend speakers that you have a chance of listening to, because after all that should be the deciding factor.
  • 01-13-2008, 12:30 PM
    blackraven
    Look at Triangle's, B&W, Thiel CS2.4's to name a few. There are many options at that price range.
  • 01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
    diggity
    thanx
    thanx for the replies. it may take a while for me to respond to questions for that i apologize. but with me being in australia i am abit behind you guys. once again i apologize. as for my choices over here, i have been thinking of b&w, energy, psb and jbl. i seen the other day a brand called canton. dont know if anyone has had experience with psb and canton so would be grateful of any possible feedback.
    wasnt to pleased with the jbl's i heard (star wars was apparently their name?) but maybe it was their setup. thanx for your replies thus far .
    p.s havent heard of "triangles" what is the website?

cheers daran (and no we dont have kangaroos jumping around our main streets if anyone was wondering....lol)
  • 01-14-2008, 05:27 AM
    johnny p
    I'm going to assume you're looking for a 5.1 system since you mentioned you have a Blu Ray player. We can all throw out our biases, but it's gonna be what you listen to and like. Also, If you can't find info about the Triangle, or Canton's or whatever, I'd stay away from them.... there's no reason for you to be the guinee pig!

I know you're upgrading, but what do you have now? Anything that can be used for the Surrounds? Do you have a sub right now? if so, what is it?

You might not need 6 new speakers to be happy, you might just need the big three....
  • 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
    captjamo
    I like B & W, Martin Logan, KEF, and Paradigm. You could afford the B & W 700 line. I have new B & W 703's and I love them in my HT. Some would say too brite for HT but I have a small room (11 X 15) and enjoy the detail these speakers yield. I am a huge fan of Kevlar drivers and tweeter on top design (big open sound stage). If you like your highs as well as your lows and your listening environment is small to med., 703's should be heard since they would fit in your budget. You get into real wood verneer with this line if premium looks are something you are looking for as well.
  • 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM
    drseid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by diggity
    thanx for the replies. it may take a while for me to respond to questions for that i apologize. but with me being in australia i am abit behind you guys. once again i apologize. as for my choices over here, i have been thinking of b&w, energy, psb and jbl. i seen the other day a brand called canton. dont know if anyone has had experience with psb and canton so would be grateful of any possible feedback.
    wasnt to pleased with the jbl's i heard (star wars was apparently their name?) but maybe it was their setup. thanx for your replies thus far .
    p.s havent heard of "triangles" what is the website?

cheers daran (and no we dont have kangaroos jumping around our main streets if anyone was wondering....lol)

Out of the ones you mentioned, I recommend checking out the PSBs. PSB makes some pretty credible floorstanders that should do nicely for all-around performance.

Good luck,

---Dave
  • 01-16-2008, 11:24 PM
    diggity
    Quote:

Originally Posted by captjamo
    I like B & W, Martin Logan, KEF, and Paradigm. You could afford the B & W 700 line. I have new B & W 703's and I love them in my HT. Some would say too brite for HT but I have a small room (11 X 15) and enjoy the detail these speakers yield. I am a huge fan of Kevlar drivers and tweeter on top design (big open sound stage). If you like your highs as well as your lows and your listening environment is small to med., 703's should be heard since they would fit in your budget. You get into real wood verneer with this line if premium looks are something you are looking for as well.

cheers mate, i looked at these on the b&w web page, and these are the first set that the girlfriend actually wouldn't mind being in the house (YIPPEE-KAY-YAY). i just hope they sound good when we test them. looks don't really worry me but she has other ideas. once again guys thanx for the replies and i will keep you posted

cheers: dazza
  • 01-17-2008, 12:21 AM
    captjamo
    Hey dazza, All I can say is I love my 703's. They were recommended by several experts. One who said he always recommended to his close friends. I have walnut and they are great to look at. They are brite and detailed so if you have a large room that you want concert level then you may want the 704's. But my room is small and I like the detail at med listening levels that I am getting. I did hear thru the grapevine that the 700 line is about to be updated though, so might be worth waiting to see what comes out of the update or get a good closeout discount. Yup-Cheers
  • 01-17-2008, 02:43 AM
    diggity
    thanx capt'n i shall make inquiries about the upgrade. if true, should be able to strike a bargain. one other question for all the audio pro's out there, if i get a different brand centre, or different model will that effect overall theatre experience because of different tones being produced by speakers?

i am going to take "johnnyp"s' idea and not worry about purchasing rear channel as i like my current ones and i dont think they need to match front speakers, and my sub i use as a couch side table.
    dheers: dazza
  • 01-19-2008, 06:13 PM
    Monkey Mouse
    Totem and Vandersteen make some awesome speakers that port over well to HT - wonder if they sell those brands down under.....
  • 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM
    rnaz21
    Look into the Monitor Audio Silver or Gold series. Great speakers at a good price. I haven't heard a bad word about any of their speakers.