Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MCF
    Forum Regular

Universal Remote Control Suggestions...

Looking for an inexpensive (~$150) remote control for in my bedroom to control a Samsung 5064 plasma, Oppo DVD player and Scientific Atlanta HD STB. Only real requirements are that it has very clearly backlit buttons and display (if applicable) to be used at night time. I would want it to be a learning remote so I can hold one button on the new remote and push a button on one of my existing remotes and the new remote learn the command. Thanks

Logitech Harmony 880, brilliant remote that meets your budget (in fact I own two). All of the macro's are programmed by USB on your PC.

Suspended
    ditto!

Forum Regular
    Harmony 659 would be more in your budget.The 880 is a little more,but comes with a charging station,while the 659 has batterys to replace(often).

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

I just got my 880 today from amazon for $136. Very nice!!!

MCF
    Forum Regular

Harmony 880- huh?

Is it a learning remote? Can you simply hold a button on the harmony and a button on the original remote and the harmony learns the command?? Does it have very well back lit buttons? I would prefer to not have to mess with the software, etc., etc...just want to use old remotes to program new remote.....that way I know exactly what I have programmed and how...

I have actually been reading about the Sony learning remotes that are less than $50 that seem to get great reviews. I don't need anything special, just three items to control with NO surround sound as this is my bedroom setup. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Forum Regular
    It is a learning remote,but you should not have to use that feature unless you have some very strange gear.You program it online and it is very easy to use.You can be up and running,with most systems including macros in about 20 minutes.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

MCF
    Forum Regular

880 coming tomorow...

The one click purchasing on Amazon is DANGEROUS...hhehehee...

Sound Fanatic
    There is no reason for you to waste money on an expensive Harmony for your ultra-basic system. You'd be as easily served by something in the $20 range.

MCF
    Forum Regular

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by canuckle
    There is no reason for you to waste money on an expensive Harmony for your ultra-basic system. You'd be as easily served by something in the $20 range.
    But I like cool stuff...and plus, I can always get an ultrabasic for upstairs and use the Harmoney for my full blown setup downstairs if i want to........

Harmony vs URC?

Has anyone compared a Harmony to a URC? I have never had a chance to play w/ the programming of a Harmony yet. I know that the URC's are very nice, especially the MX series...but they are alittle more expensive, I paid about $400 w/ the rf system. Currenty I have the MX850 for my main room and I programmed it myself and it didn't take 20 minutes!!! It was kind of a pain really for a first timmer. So I was a little curious as to how good is the performance level of Harmony. Do they have discrete codes? On/Off? etc...Do they ever mess up? Are they cumfy in the hand? The MX850 is a little big...but it always works...

MCF
    Forum Regular

Aaarrrghgghggg!!!!

Got my Harmony 880 and there is a 'rattle' near the IR window when I move it around...it seems to be charging normally, but for $140 I would expect a little better quality..anyone else experience this rattle with their 880? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Got my Harmony 880 and there is a 'rattle' near the IR window when I move it around...it seems to be charging normally, but for $140 I would expect a little better quality..anyone else experience this rattle with their 880? Thanks!!
    According to the FAQ section, the rattle is the tilt sensor which causes the remote to activate when you pick it up.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    According to the FAQ section, the rattle is the tilt sensor which causes the remote to activate when you pick it up.
    Thanks!

MCF
    Forum Regular
    OK...am I missing a manual or something...and I can't find anything on the website..how do you learn and how do you customize buttons, etc.???

OK...am I missing a manual or something...and I can't find anything on the website..how do you learn and how do you customize buttons, etc.???
    LOL, that's the same thing I thought. If your all charged up, install the software. Once that's all installed and you register, a home page dedicated to setting up your system will be available. Simply answer a few questions related to your gear and how you use it, and the system will program everything for you.

Once you get the basics down it's very easy to go back in and customize. I only had to set up a few "learn" commands and after toying around with it for awhile today, I think I'm all set. Very easy to use.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Thanks...

LOL, that's the same thing I thought. If your all charged up, install the software. Once that's all installed and you register, a home page dedicated to setting up your system will be available. Simply answer a few questions related to your gear and how you use it, and the system will program everything for you.

Once you get the basics down it's very easy to go back in and customize. I only had to set up a few "learn" commands and after toying around with it for awhile today, I think I'm all set. Very easy to use.
    One thing I don't like is having to do an activity to watch tv...my STB is always on and my source on the tv is always on component 1....is there a way so that when I pick up the remote control the screen shows a single command to only turn on the tv or is it possible to change the "Watch TV' command to only turn on the tv...I don't like that it takes 15-20 seconds to perform the 'Watch TV' activity since it turns on the tv, checks the input, makes sure STB is on, etc. etc...my main objective is to pick up the remote, push one button to turn on the TV and the command only takes a second or two..anyone?? Thanks!

One thing I don't like is having to do an activity to watch tv...my STB is always on and my source on the tv is always on component 1....is there a way so that when I pick up the remote control the screen shows a single command to only turn on the tv or is it possible to change the "Watch TV' command to only turn on the tv...I don't like that it takes 15-20 seconds to perform the 'Watch TV' activity since it turns on the tv, checks the input, makes sure STB is on, etc. etc...my main objective is to pick up the remote, push one button to turn on the TV and the command only takes a second or two..anyone?? Thanks!
    You may be able to go in and shorten up the delay times a little. I'd suggest going through the FAQ sections. There has to be a way to program a set of manual commands by pressing one button(macros). There's a step I wanted to remove from my Zone 2 activity but N/A is displayed and not an option to remove the step I don't understand why the setup does not allow the user the ability to customize 100% of all activities.

URC vs Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO
    Has anyone compared a Harmony to a URC? I have never had a chance to play w/ the programming of a Harmony yet. I know that the URC's are very nice, especially the MX series...but they are alittle more expensive, I paid about $400 w/ the rf system. Currenty I have the MX850 for my main room and I programmed it myself and it didn't take 20 minutes!!! It was kind of a pain really for a first timmer. So I was a little curious as to how good is the performance level of Harmony. Do they have discrete codes? On/Off? etc...Do they ever mess up? Are they cumfy in the hand? The MX850 is a little big...but it always works...

Hello DEVO.

I have in fact compared the Harmony 880 and the URC MX850. My remote must have alot of capability. My system consists of 13 components (see my gallery-home theaters-ldgibson76). So ease of programming wasn't as important as ease of use to me. I figured once I had the programming completed, ease of use becomes paramount. I first tried the Harmony. And yes, with help from Customer Support, I was able to program all of my components, but I became frustrated with the sequence/protocol. It seemed to be limited in it's micro-commands. Macros were fine, but when it came to sub functions, the Harmony became cumbersome. I then opted for the MX850. And yes, the programming was a nightmare. But once I got the hang of it, it was lovely. Without a doubt, it's more intuitive. Yes it's larger and heavier, but I can still program another 12 components if I want to. And it's reliable. Batteries: lithium! Why? regular energizers will last only month to a month in a half. Lithiums have given me 3-4 months. The charging base for the Harmony is definitely an advantage. Granted, if you only have 5 or 6 components, then going with the Harmony would have been a fine choice. It's a cost effective solution and the functionality at that level will be on par with the MX850. If your system is extensive, or going to be in the future, stay with the URC.
    I hope this disertation was of some help to you.

ldgibson76
    Last edited by ldgibson76; 08-12-2007 at 04:12 AM.

Thanx...it did take quite awhile to program it and then tweek it, but once it's done it is nice. I've heard so much about Harmony's simplicity that I was thinking about one for the bedroom later??? I'm kind of used to the prog. now w/ URC. Now it will be a decision of comfort and functionality, descret codes will be a factor down the road.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Harmony 880 is...

pretty cool!!! Got it do to the simple things I want it to do.....but is there a way to change the 'LCD screen options' when in an activity...for example, when I do my activity 'Watch TV' I get two things on the LCD....Aspect and List. Thank goodness aspect shows up so my wife will zoom on 4:3 broadcasts and List does nothing....it is possible to chance Aspect to 'Screen Size' or 'Size' and is it possible to add more things to the LCD screen?

And yes, shortening the command times helped a lot....got everything working very well.

pretty cool!!! Got it do to the simple things I want it to do.....but is there a way to change the 'LCD screen options' when in an activity...for example, when I do my activity 'Watch TV' I get two things on the LCD....Aspect and List. Thank goodness aspect shows up so my wife will zoom on 4:3 broadcasts and List does nothing....it is possible to chance Aspect to 'Screen Size' or 'Size' and is it possible to add more things to the LCD screen?

And yes, shortening the command times helped a lot....got everything working very well.
    Look under the "Basic Customization" heading in the FAQ section. The first question "how do I customize or change the function of the buttons on the remote" shows you how to add commands to the display. Not sure if you can arrange them in a certain order though.

Edit: I gave it a try and yes you can arrange it how you want. You can even change the names of the commands to make things easier for wifee. I take back what I said about it not being 100% customizable. I should have read through all the FAQ section. Now I'm really loving this remote!!!
    Last edited by L.J.; 08-15-2007 at 12:12 PM.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Thanks!!!

Look under the "Basic Customization" heading in the FAQ section. The first question "how do I customize or change the function of the buttons on the remote" shows you how to add commands to the display. Not sure if you can arrange them in a certain order though.

Edit: I gave it a try and yes you can arrange it how you want. You can even change the names of the commands to make things easier for wifee. I take back what I said about it not being 100% customizable. I should have read through all the FAQ section. Now I'm really loving this remote!!!
    I guess it is time for me to look at the FAQ section..funny that they put instruction under FAQ instead of providing a manual...oh well!!!

MCF
    Forum Regular

I can't find the dumb FAQ section...

Is it on the logitech website or after you login in for your account. Can someone please send me a link to the FAQ section...thanks!

MCF
    Forum Regular

Anyone use 880 to control IPOD docking station?

I have an IPOD docking station so I assume I could program the 880 to control it as well (and make Listen to IPOD an activity)...even if I have to use learn since I have the docking station remote...correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information