Universal Remote

Printable View

• 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
    JLS
    Universal Remote
    Just joined this site today and need some advice. I finally broke down and bought a HDTV, receiver, blu-ray, speakers, ect. The salesman said I should buy A Harmony 880 universal remote to control, TV, receiver, blu-ray, and SAT dish. My question is does this thing work as easy as he said or am I buying a problem?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
    Carl Reid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS
    Just joined this site today and need some advice. I finally broke down and bought a HDTV, receiver, blu-ray, speakers, ect. The salesman said I should buy A Harmony 880 universal remote to control, TV, receiver, blu-ray, and SAT dish. My question is does this thing work as easy as he said or am I buying a problem?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the cheaper version... the Harmony 550 and it is truly an amazing remote.... I don't think it's 100% user friendly as they might make it seem.... but compared to most traditional universals it is child's play to program... and the real advantage is the customization options.... I have my remote set with one touch commands to handle watching tv, playing a cd, playing a dvd, playing a video game and even had one for using my computer (back when I had a mac min attached to my tv)....

So yeah, i think it's a great remote...
  • 01-26-2007, 03:27 PM
    musicman1999
    I have the 659,like it alot.Easy to set up,customizable,and if you do have a problem,tech support is great.

bill
  • 01-26-2007, 03:39 PM
    RoyY51
    I have the Harmony 676 and I'll echo the other opinions already expressed. I press one button to listen to music, one button to watch TV and one button for DVD. It couldn't be easier.
  • 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
    elapsed
    I own two Harmony 880's, best remote I've ever owned. Highly recommend!
  • 01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Yes the Harmony 880 is probably the best remote out there. And unlike that Blur-Ray player, it will serve you well for a number of years!
  • 01-27-2007, 08:45 AM
    AVMASTER
    the Logitech Harmony remotes are super easy to program however I don't recommend the 880 for a fisrt time user, your best option is the Harmony model 670. Very simple and well laid-out with larger activity buttons for the new-comer.
  • 01-27-2007, 09:34 AM
    emorphien
    I'll second the 880, mine has been really convenient
  • 01-27-2007, 02:55 PM
    JLS
    Thanks for the input as I really was not sure if the salesman was just trying to sell me more stuff or being helpful.
  • 01-27-2007, 05:14 PM
    topspeed
    My 7 yr old can use my 880.

'Nuff said.
  • 01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS
    Thanks for the input as I really was not sure if the salesman was just trying to sell me more stuff or being helpful.

He talked you into a $700 Blur-Ray player, why not a $200 remote?

Sorry, BestBuy and their Blur-Ray lies are one of my pet peeves :)

They tried to pull that 'Blur-Ray is the ONLY way to get HD on your TV' on me when I went in there, to which I had to explain to the sales dolt that I get HD via Xbox360, HD-DVD player, and DirecTV...and there are many many other ways to get HD on top of that. He wasn't too receptive :ihih:
  • 01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    They tried to pull that 'Blur-Ray is the ONLY way to get HD on your TV' on me when I went in there..:

Not to threadjack, but that kind of schtick makes me insane. It's one thing to deal with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about (although you should know more about what you're trying to sell me than I do) but the fanboy bs lies are where I draw the line. That's when I and my money head for the door.

Anyway, welcome to the forum JLS, grab a Harmony and join the fun...

Cheers
  • 01-28-2007, 09:27 AM
    musicman1999
    I have seen the sony in operation and it is far from blurry,very impressive picture,far better than i thought it would be.It was also better than the HD-DVD demo that i was given.Now i understand they were on different tv's with different material and were short demos,a few minutes each,but to my eyes the Blue Ray was far better.

bill
  • 01-28-2007, 09:33 AM
    emorphien
    Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I have seen the sony in operation and it is far from blurry,very impressive picture,far better than i thought it would be.It was also better than the HD-DVD demo that i was given.Now i understand they were on different tv's with different material and were short demos,a few minutes each,but to my eyes the Blue Ray was far better.

bill

so you basically just said "it was better, but my comparison is meaningless"

neat!
  • 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
    musicman1999
    My point was that the Sony blueray is not blurry as was previously stated.

bill
  • 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman1999

bill

You'd see things much differently if you were to compare them on the same equipment. You'd see that in fact the HD-DVD is a little richer in color which goes along with what the professional reviewers seem to keep saying.

I actually think Blur-Ray looks fine, it's just the lies that Best Buy surrounds it with that I hate. Well that, plus it's a format invented by the 'blunder of the century' company Sony. Having the S word attached to it alone will doom it to failure.
  • 01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
    icarus
    Quote:

Well that, plus it's a format invented by the 'blunder of the century' company Sony. Having the S word attached to it alone will doom it to failure.

To take a little detour on the whole remote issue. Unlike all of sony's past blunders Beta, Mini-disc and the list goes on, Sony has taken a few steps in the right direction to try and make this one work. Unlike the past blunders Snoy doesn't appear to be trying to have a monopoly on the market, having samsung also producing the blu-ray player.

Since this is totally off topic, im going to stop here and start a thread dedicated to blu-ray, its been awhile since there has been one, lets see if peoples opinions have changed at all.
  • 01-29-2007, 02:22 AM
    musicman1999
    Quote:

You'd see things much differently if you were to compare them on the same equipment. You'd see that in fact the HD-DVD is a little richer in color which goes along with what the professional reviewers seem to keep saying.

I actually think Blur-Ray looks fine, it's just the lies that Best Buy surrounds it with that I hate. Well that, plus it's a format invented by the 'blunder of the century' company Sony. Having the S word attached to it alone will doom it to failure.

One last word.I am not a big fan of Sony either,but it was the HDdvd that was at our version of best Buy(future Shop) the Sony was at the Sony store.I really think that Br is going to win this one,they have the studio support and i think that will decide it.

bill
  • 01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
    evil__betty
    Quote:

Yes the Harmony 880 is probably the best remote out there. And unlike that Blur-Ray player, it will serve you well for a number of years!

You really have a thing against Blu-Ray, eh?
  • 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by evil__betty
    You really have a thing against Blu-Ray, eh?

No, not really. I just hate Sony (can they do anything right here lately) and I hate Best Buy's lies about Blur-Ray. It just really pushed me over the edge after arguing with the sales dolts at Best Buy who tried to explain to me that Blur-Ray was the ONLY possible way to see an HD signal on a TV.
  • 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
    evil__betty
    True, most Best Buy associates are pretty thick.

But I would still give Sony kudos when it comes to making a really good TV... even with all they're marketing and production screw-ups.
  • 01-29-2007, 06:24 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Maybe they should just stick to TV's and stay out of the rootkit and game console business :)
  • 01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
    JLS
    I have to tell you that I went into the store willing to buy the best HDTV they had and it got down to the Pioneer Pro elite plasma and the Sony XBR3. When it was all said and done the Sony hooked up to the Bluray won hands down.
    That is my opinion only and I also bought the Beta years ago and it was better than any VHS I owned. Sony had no partners in the Beta but Pioneer and a few others think the Blu-ray is something special as they have units on the market. If it doesn't work out it won't be the first time I have made the wrong choice and I am sure it won't be the last.
    That is why they make Chevrolets and Fords as everyone has a different opinion. Now let's get back to my Universal Remote.
  • 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Yeah the TV looked great with the Blu-Ray hooked up...but what did it look like with the HD-DVD hooked up?
  • 01-29-2007, 08:36 PM
    recoveryone
    Did the Pioneer have a Blue Ray DVD hooked to it?
  • 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM
    JLS
    Yes, they had the HD-DVD hooked up at both places and they had the Sony hooked up at both places and the Pioneer was not hooked up at either place and neither was the 52 " Sony . Both places asked me if there was windows in the room and I told them the wall oppisite the TV was all windows and Glass doors. Both said look at the plasma and you will see everything behind you in the reflection and you won't on the LCD and they were right.
    Both had the Pioneer in stock but neither had the XBR3 I ended up getting it from their Commercial Division so I felt the salesmen were honest with me as they both missed a sale.
    I have always felt that Sony and Pioneer in their top of the line equipment are ahead of a lot of people and if they went with Blu-ray it was good enough for me.
  • 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
    pcstockton
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sony RM-AX1400 is your remote
    First of all, you can pick this remote up for under $50. The original retail was $180-$200. I got mine @ Best Buy for $29 unopened. There is nothing this remote cannot do that any Harmony can, save the RF capable 880.

You can program it via USB and your PC, with pre-supplied codes, or by "learning" from other remotes (pointing the remotes head-to-head) I preferred assigning all of the buttons myself, rather than allow the codes to program it. When using the codes only it seems to get you about 80% complete.

Best of all you can program the same "Macro" functions to any button. Although the remote has 4 large Macro (EXPRESS) buttons specifically for TV, MOVIE, MUSIC, RADIO, you can make any button a macro. And you can make those 4 Express buttons anything you want as well. There are no limitations.

Additionally, for any macro you create, you can also create a corresponding "exit macro", when going from one to the other. For example. If I go from watchind DVD to TV, when I push the "TV EXPRESS" button, it 1) turns off the DVD player, 2) changes receiver and TV inputs to the correct input. Upon going from there to listening to NPR on the radio, I press the RADIO EXPRESS and it turns off the TV (and DVD if i was watching a movie) and changes input on receiver to tuner.

After some admittedly fun tinkering, you can get this thing to do anything you want. Simply remember that any button can be assigined to do anything from one function to a macro, or point to another button in another "area" of the remote (an alias).

This remote is not a touch screen model, although it has a very nice black/blue LCD screen for sub/menus. This is definitely my preference as i like to "feel" my way around a remote without looking at it. Spacing is good. Button size and size differential also very good. It only lacks in shape and feel. it is very simple box, about the same size and shape as your average AV receiver remote. Which I also like. It has a very utilitarian, masculine, techie look to it.

I recommend this remote to anyone who wants to spend less than the cheapest Harmony and get just as much, save the screen. Look around you can find this cheap..... A perfect 10!
  • 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I have two pet peeves about remotes, and that Sony violates both of them.

The Sony has no 'chapter skip' buttons and it has no Tivo funtionality. Those alone would make me throw it in the garbage or maybe use it as a backup to my bedroom remote. It also appears to not have a PC interface which makes programming a breeze.

Sorry to point these out, but you did say that this remote could do anything a Harmony could...but it can't :)
  • 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM
    Groundbeef
    I concur. Stick with the Harmony.

I have 2. One upstairs is the standard 550, and the one in the basement is the 550 XBOX 360 version.

If you have the 360, its the cats meow. It has full functionality with the console right out of the box (its not a controller for games however) but it can access full DVD functions (and the HD-DVD if you have it), and all menu items.

Plus with the LCD screen it is easy to pick your functions, and if something is not working correct, you prompt it for help, and it gets it right.

Also, has 99% of Tivo functions except the little "tivo" button. (can access the menu by pushing "menu").

I spent $100 on each, and it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I didn't have to code anything, just USB'd it to my laptop, keyed in all devices with MFG codes, and it did all the rest. Took about 20 minutes start to finish. The hardest part was getting my SAT to remain on no matter what.

Good Luck!
  • 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM
    JLS
    The things that I use the most and don't know if any of them will work all:
    1. Turn TV on and work cable and TV audio.
    2 Turn cable off and switch to SAT dish and turn on receiver.
    3 Work SAT HD-DVR with Tivo
    4 Work BLU-Ray player

You can tell I know very little about this subject. The piece of furniture which was suppose to be already here is still 2 weeks out and I have all this stuff in my dining room which really makes my wife happy.
    Thanks for all the info on both units and if you can answer my quetion above I would be grateful.

Thanks
  • 02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
    emorphien
    You can create a number of activities and can pretty much tell it to do whatever you want for each activity.
  • 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
    Groundbeef
    Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Its quite easy to set up as long as you have a computer, and internet.

And best of all, its 1 click command. Such as "Watch TV" it will switch TV inputs, turn on recievers, turn on audio.

Then click "Watch DVD" and it will switch TV input, turn on whatever else you need.

Its the schiznitz!
  • 02-13-2007, 06:38 PM
    jrhymeammo
    I highly recommend this.........
  • 02-13-2007, 08:07 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS
    The things that I use the most and don't know if any of them will work all:
    1. Turn TV on and work cable and TV audio.
    2 Turn cable off and switch to SAT dish and turn on receiver.
    3 Work SAT HD-DVR with Tivo
    4 Work BLU-Ray player

Thanks

If you can click a mouse it will take you about 5 minutes to make a Harmony do all that plus tons more.
  • 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

What exactly to the 'crotch' buttons do? :skep:
  • 02-14-2007, 04:19 AM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

Those are to control the "Adult" programming available on demand.
  • 02-14-2007, 04:42 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Oh I feel so dirty :blush2:
  • 02-14-2007, 11:22 AM
    JLS
    Thanks so much for the info and I will have one before the week is out.
  • 02-14-2007, 01:56 PM
    Groundbeef
    Please let us know what you get and how much time you spent progamming it.
  • 02-14-2007, 07:02 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Does it matter? I know I ain't touchin' those.