Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JLS
    JLS
    Yes, they had the HD-DVD hooked up at both places and they had the Sony hooked up at both places and the Pioneer was not hooked up at either place and neither was the 52 " Sony . Both places asked me if there was windows in the room and I told them the wall oppisite the TV was all windows and Glass doors. Both said look at the plasma and you will see everything behind you in the reflection and you won't on the LCD and they were right.
    Both had the Pioneer in stock but neither had the XBR3 I ended up getting it from their Commercial Division so I felt the salesmen were honest with me as they both missed a sale.
    I have always felt that Sony and Pioneer in their top of the line equipment are ahead of a lot of people and if they went with Blu-ray it was good enough for me.

Forum Regular

Sony RM-AX1400 is your remote

First of all, you can pick this remote up for under $50. The original retail was $180-$200. I got mine @ Best Buy for $29 unopened. There is nothing this remote cannot do that any Harmony can, save the RF capable 880.

You can program it via USB and your PC, with pre-supplied codes, or by "learning" from other remotes (pointing the remotes head-to-head) I preferred assigning all of the buttons myself, rather than allow the codes to program it. When using the codes only it seems to get you about 80% complete.

Best of all you can program the same "Macro" functions to any button. Although the remote has 4 large Macro (EXPRESS) buttons specifically for TV, MOVIE, MUSIC, RADIO, you can make any button a macro. And you can make those 4 Express buttons anything you want as well. There are no limitations.

Additionally, for any macro you create, you can also create a corresponding "exit macro", when going from one to the other. For example. If I go from watchind DVD to TV, when I push the "TV EXPRESS" button, it 1) turns off the DVD player, 2) changes receiver and TV inputs to the correct input. Upon going from there to listening to NPR on the radio, I press the RADIO EXPRESS and it turns off the TV (and DVD if i was watching a movie) and changes input on receiver to tuner.

After some admittedly fun tinkering, you can get this thing to do anything you want. Simply remember that any button can be assigined to do anything from one function to a macro, or point to another button in another "area" of the remote (an alias).

This remote is not a touch screen model, although it has a very nice black/blue LCD screen for sub/menus. This is definitely my preference as i like to "feel" my way around a remote without looking at it. Spacing is good. Button size and size differential also very good. It only lacks in shape and feel. it is very simple box, about the same size and shape as your average AV receiver remote. Which I also like. It has a very utilitarian, masculine, techie look to it.

I recommend this remote to anyone who wants to spend less than the cheapest Harmony and get just as much, save the screen. Look around you can find this cheap..... A perfect 10!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Universal Remote-rmax1400.jpg  
    HDTV: Vizio VX37L - LCD
    RECEIVER: Yamaha HTR-5960
    AMP: Adcom GFA-5300 (Front Channels)
    DVD/CD: Philips DVP-5960
    FRONT: Energy Pro Series 4.5
    CENTER: Energy C-C100
    SURROUNDS: Energy C-50
    SUB: Energy S8.3
    SPKR CABLES - Tara Labs Bi-Wire
    REMOTE: Harmony 720
    A/V RACK: Salamander Archetype 3.0

I have two pet peeves about remotes, and that Sony violates both of them.

The Sony has no 'chapter skip' buttons and it has no Tivo funtionality. Those alone would make me throw it in the garbage or maybe use it as a backup to my bedroom remote. It also appears to not have a PC interface which makes programming a breeze.

Sorry to point these out, but you did say that this remote could do anything a Harmony could...but it can't

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I concur. Stick with the Harmony.

I have 2. One upstairs is the standard 550, and the one in the basement is the 550 XBOX 360 version.

If you have the 360, its the cats meow. It has full functionality with the console right out of the box (its not a controller for games however) but it can access full DVD functions (and the HD-DVD if you have it), and all menu items.

Plus with the LCD screen it is easy to pick your functions, and if something is not working correct, you prompt it for help, and it gets it right.

Also, has 99% of Tivo functions except the little "tivo" button. (can access the menu by pushing "menu").

I spent $100 on each, and it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I didn't have to code anything, just USB'd it to my laptop, keyed in all devices with MFG codes, and it did all the rest. Took about 20 minutes start to finish. The hardest part was getting my SAT to remain on no matter what.

Good Luck!

JLS
    JLS
    The things that I use the most and don't know if any of them will work all:
    1. Turn TV on and work cable and TV audio.
    2 Turn cable off and switch to SAT dish and turn on receiver.
    3 Work SAT HD-DVR with Tivo
    4 Work BLU-Ray player

You can tell I know very little about this subject. The piece of furniture which was suppose to be already here is still 2 weeks out and I have all this stuff in my dining room which really makes my wife happy.
    Thanks for all the info on both units and if you can answer my quetion above I would be grateful.

Thanks

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    You can create a number of activities and can pretty much tell it to do whatever you want for each activity.

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Its quite easy to set up as long as you have a computer, and internet.

And best of all, its 1 click command. Such as "Watch TV" it will switch TV inputs, turn on recievers, turn on audio.

Then click "Watch DVD" and it will switch TV input, turn on whatever else you need.

Its the schiznitz!

I highly recommend this.........

Jay da Ra

Quote Originally Posted by JLS
    The things that I use the most and don't know if any of them will work all:
    1. Turn TV on and work cable and TV audio.
    2 Turn cable off and switch to SAT dish and turn on receiver.
    3 Work SAT HD-DVR with Tivo
    4 Work BLU-Ray player

Thanks
    If you can click a mouse it will take you about 5 minutes to make a Harmony do all that plus tons more.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

Jay da Ra

What exactly to the 'crotch' buttons do?

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Those are to control the "Adult" programming available on demand.

Oh I feel so dirty

JLS
    JLS
    Thanks so much for the info and I will have one before the week is out.

Please let us know what you get and how much time you spent progamming it.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Does it matter? I know I ain't touchin' those.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    I have two pet peeves about remotes, and that Sony violates both of them.

The Sony has no 'chapter skip' buttons and it has no Tivo funtionality. Those alone would make me throw it in the garbage or maybe use it as a backup to my bedroom remote. It also appears to not have a PC interface which makes programming a breeze.

Sorry to point these out, but you did say that this remote could do anything a Harmony could...but it can't
    This is not true. It works just fine for a TIVO. Once again, you can program any button to any action your other IR remotes do. Unless you have some strange TIVO remote none of us have.

Chapter skip???? once again, you can program anything anywhere on the remote. You can program up to 12 different components, and limitless macros.

There is NOT ONE function on my TIVO, HD Cable Box, TV, Receiver, DVD player or CD player that cannot be done on this remote. NOT ONE.

And yes it of course connects to your PC via USB. How else would you program it?

So for $30 it is ideal for me. It runs everything including my TIVO. If you are looking to spend over $150 then go for the Harmony. If just want one that works REALLY well, and not spend a fortune on a remote you really dont actually NEED, get this Sony.

I realize the Harmony is popular. I was just giving this guy my educated opinion on a much less expensive option. I bought a 550 and returned it when i found this one. I have used them both and the only differences were Cosmetic and programming.

For example, it was slightly difficult to figure out how to operate my Yammy with seperate ON/OFF (standby) on the remote. i took me ten minutes to figure it out to get the "ALL OFF" to work correctly.

The Power-Syncing option works well and is never really necessary, as long as you only use the remote for turning things off and on.

I must admit that the Harmony is probably easier to program for a HT novice or a person that lacks basic computer skills. But for $30!!!!!! are you really going to care?

anyway.... just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by pcstockton
    Chapter skip???? once again, you can program anything anywhere on the remote. You can program up to 12 different components, and limitless macros.

There is NOT ONE function on my TIVO, HD Cable Box, TV, Receiver, DVD player or CD player that cannot be done on this remote. NOT ONE.

And yes it of course connects to your PC via USB. How else would you program it?

So for $30 it is ideal for me. It runs everything including my TIVO. If you are looking to spend over $150 then go for the Harmony. If just want one that works REALLY well, and not spend a fortune on a remote you really dont actually NEED, get this Sony.

For example, it was slightly difficult to figure out how to operate my Yammy with seperate ON/OFF (standby) on the remote. i took me ten minutes to figure it out to get the "ALL OFF" to work correctly.

The Power-Syncing option works well and is never really necessary, as long as you only use the remote for turning things off and on.

I must admit that the Harmony is probably easier to program for a HT novice or a person that lacks basic computer skills. But for $30!!!!!! are you really going to care?

anyway.... just my two cents.
    The Harmony also has backlighting. It appears that yours is glow in the dark, and that stinks in the dark unless you remeber where every stinking key is.

As far as "programming", the Harmony is already done. Just plug in USB, it calls up Logitech, and based on your input, programs it for you.

And you can pick up a 550 for less than $100 if you shop carefully.

And yes, for $30 I'm going to care. I am glad you enjoy your remote, but the Harmony is still better....

Quote Originally Posted by pcstockton
    This is not true. It works just fine for a TIVO. Once again, you can program any button to any action your other IR remotes do. Unless you have some strange TIVO remote none of us have.

Yes I'm sure you can...but what happens if you don't have enough buttons? I'm sure it talks to a Tivo just fine, but there are not enough buttons on that remote to work a Tivo. That's what I was saying.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    The Harmony also has backlighting. It appears that yours is glow in the dark, and that stinks in the dark unless you remeber where every stinking key is.

As far as "programming", the Harmony is already done. Just plug in USB, it calls up Logitech, and based on your input, programs it for you.

And you can pick up a 550 for less than $100 if you shop carefully.

And yes, for $30 I'm going to care. I am glad you enjoy your remote, but the Harmony is still better....
    Once again, not true. HAVE YOU ACTUALLY SEEN/USED THIS REMOTE???? Because, once again, I HAVE USED BOTH.

The Sony does have a backlight that is completely adjustable in terms of length of time on, as well as brightness. It also has a nice fade-out option if desired. The seperate LCD screen also has its own INDEPENDENT length/brightness.

Also, for programming, the software has virtually any code you'll need. And as a PLUS you DO NOT need an internet connection to do so..... unlike the Harmony. Also, I sincerely doubt that the "online" programming is 100% correct everytime. You'll need to "learn" a few directly from the remote regardless of brand.

Lastly, I HAVE EVERY NECESSARY TIVO BUTTON programmed into the TIVO component on the remote. There are 26 buttons NOT INCLUDING the numbers, volume and channel up and down, that you can program to be whatever you want. I assume you do not need the number buttons??? Then you would have 36. Is that not enough buttons for you???? ONce again, it works without flaw for me.

I realize this remote is NOT FOR YOU. But it could be nice for the person inquiring.

I am going to buy another 550 tonight and see if it is really worth any more dollars... I've been using the Sony for over two months and still think i like it more. If the Harmony is superior, I'll keep it. Ill let the forum know tomorrow the results. At least I get to play with some new gear tonight!!!!!!

Forum Regular
    additionally, I just went online and the Harmony remote does not have codes for my Vizio TV.... Any thoughts on programming this?

Also, any recomendations on how to program if I do not have internet at home? Can you tweak the remote offline after initial online set-up?

When I previously had this remote i had internet and a different TV. any thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2