Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    12

    Talking Type of surround speaker for Rear Center in 6.1

    I can't find any info on what type of speaker to get when I go to 6.1 from 5.1. Should I get another Dipole/Bipole speaker like my surrounds...or should I get a center channel speaker (the typical W-T-W) because it's a rear CENTER channel? I have Phase Tech PC 3.1's for the fronts and center and Phase Tech Dipole/Bipole (switchable) surrounds if this helps. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful!

  2. #2
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,417

    I also have a 6.1/7.1 system

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar666
    I can't find any info on what type of speaker to get when I go to 6.1 from 5.1. Should I get another Dipole/Bipole speaker like my surrounds...or should I get a center channel speaker (the typical W-T-W) because it's a rear CENTER channel? I have Phase Tech PC 3.1's for the fronts and center and Phase Tech Dipole/Bipole (switchable) surrounds if this helps. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful!
    With switchable dipole/bipole/monopole surrounds. I chose to put inwall MTM speakers in for the rear surrounds as there just wasn't enough room to go with standmounts. I would suggest that even if your going with a 6.1 system that you use TWO rear surrounds. This give a much more even responce from the rear, and it's much harder to localize the sound. This makes for a better surround effect, especially if you have multiple seating.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,890
    Ideally, you would use a speaker identical to your surrounds. But, NOT if the surrounds are bipolar/dipolar. In your situation, probably another PC 3.1 would be the best way to go. And you should probably arrange the back surround speaker vertically rather than horizontally. Horizontal alignments will create voice mismatches with the other speakers, and horizontal center speakers exist only because a TV typically goes where the center speaker would ideally go. In the back, you have no TV, so you don't have to go horizontal.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    With switchable dipole/bipole/monopole surrounds. I chose to put inwall MTM speakers in for the rear surrounds as there just wasn't enough room to go with standmounts. I would suggest that even if your going with a 6.1 system that you use TWO rear surrounds. This give a much more even responce from the rear, and it's much harder to localize the sound. This makes for a better surround effect, especially if you have multiple seating.

    Thanks for the info! If I use 2 rear centers...how does the actual connection to my reciever work? Do I need to get some sort of line splitter to adjust to ohms so the reciever won't see too much of a load?

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    12
    I'm sorry...i spoke too quickly...My reciever has an output for a left and right reaer center speaker. I just assumed that since it was 6.1...it only had one output. Thanks for the other advise!

  6. #6
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,799
    After some extensive testing, I have found that bipolar speakers do well as a center rear if you already have bipolars for your left/right surround. Dipolars are totally unacceptable in this role because careful phase matches have to be followed between the out of phase, and in phase portions of the speaker. Not following this rigid matchup will result in phase cacellations at some frequencies. Bipolars have no such issues. They are direct in some respects(using a single cone for the bass and mids) and diffused in others(upper mids and highs scattered). In most respects they are the best of both worlds.

    I would follow the advice that Geoffcin gave you. Use two of whchever speaker type you pick. One speaker in the center rear position calls to much attention to itself.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  7. #7
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,417

    It's pretty common to have two outputs for 6.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar666
    I'm sorry...i spoke too quickly...My reciever has an output for a left and right reaer center speaker. I just assumed that since it was 6.1...it only had one output. Thanks for the other advise!
    As some manufacturers claim to have a "7.1" receiver, even when there's really no true 7.1 software available yet. Still the matrixed Dolby EX sounds great. Also the 6 channel stereo is fun when I'm not doing any serious listening.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  2. RGA Reviews Page 3 - yes still more.
    By RGA in forum Speakers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 05:10 PM
  3. Need help with center channel speaker
    By Austin Powers in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 10:33 PM
  4. Mains that match Paradigm CC-370 Center channel....
    By newbsterv2 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 12:32 AM
  5. Look what i found!
    By PeteintheUk in forum How-To Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 03:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook