Question I'm hittin 120dB+ in my room???

I was bored today and I tookout my Radioshack SPL meter to see what my new subwoofer can do, and with today's hiphop music (say Freek-A-Leek by Petey Pablo) I was getting an average reading of 120dB+, from a bit below 40Hz up to 60 some Hz, at my listening position, which is on my bed. This is with the meter set at C weighting(for frequencies 32~10000), at 120dB with the SLOW setting. I did the same test again at 20Hz and I got a little over 100dB. I thought 120dB is supposed to be pretty hard to get in home audio? My sub setup is a home built box, a P.Miller series 12" sub and an old Technics integrated amp, the whole thing costs me about 160 bucks.

So this subwoofer setup I threw together in a few minutes is louder than most sub-1000 dollar powered subs? Correct me if I'm wrong

The other pic is what I used to have...two twin 10" towers and a dual 15" tower off a Proton D1200. Who knows what SPL that was...

that's crazy. The best i did with my sub was like 115 dB. But I have a 12" basshorn that can handle about 100 watts of the 400 i could give it, that's just crazy how you got that loud with a regular vented sub. Maybe there's a peak at your position?

Try it out in a different location and use a wider range of frequencies. Room effects can boost the db readings at specific frequencies by 15 db or more. Also, corner placement will also reinforce the bass and the difference between a corner versus midwall placement can be huge.

Also, you mention in your post that you are getting this measurement at 40 Hz with a hip hop CD? First off, with just the RS SPL meter, you can only see what the decibel reading is, not what frequency it occurs. Also, with a music disc, you're only getting peak level readings at those high levels. The valid way to do a subwoofer test is to use a wideband test tone to get the overall output, and test tones to measure the output at specific frequencies. Keep in mind that most people on this board who post their subwoofer measurements are posting what the sub can SUSTAIN, not just the momentary bursts.

Forum Regular
    WOW

I think i can get 110 tops in my basement "peaks" its a big room and in my bedroom which is like a 12 foot sqaure i could get it up to 115 probably somewhat constant if i was puching the sub and amp really hard.

Your going to crack drywall with that second pictures set up!!! jeez

Forum Regular
    Get your ears or the SPL meter checked! One of them could be seriously damaged by now!
    (LOL)

Cool Boom Boom?

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Try it out in a different location and use a wider range of frequencies. Room effects can boost the db readings at specific frequencies by 15 db or more. Also, corner placement will also reinforce the bass and the difference between a corner versus midwall placement can be huge.

Also, you mention in your post that you are getting this measurement at 40 Hz with a hip hop CD? First off, with just the RS SPL meter, you can only see what the decibel reading is, not what frequency it occurs. Also, with a music disc, you're only getting peak level readings at those high levels. The valid way to do a subwoofer test is to use a wideband test tone to get the overall output, and test tones to measure the output at specific frequencies. Keep in mind that most people on this board who post their subwoofer measurements are posting what the sub can SUSTAIN, not just the momentary bursts.
    Hum...I have a SPL test disc that has 20~99Hz constant sinewave and the SPL meter is brand new used about twice, never miscared for. Watch...I'll tape it and post it on the net when I get back from class.

Arrow how about 149dB?

Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    Get your ears or the SPL meter checked! One of them could be seriously damaged by now!
    (LOL)
    hey I just got my car stereo checked by a local shop and their AudioControl meter reads a peak of 149.6dB@60Hz(yes that's with CONSTANT sinewave), just .8 dB louder than my last score with an amp twice the size in terms of power.

Do you like 149dB of 60Hz bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Weister42
    hey I just got my car stereo checked by a local shop and their AudioControl meter reads a peak of 149.6dB@60Hz(yes that's with CONSTANT sinewave), just .8 dB louder than my last score with an amp twice the size in terms of power.

Do you like 149dB of 60Hz bass?
    I don't know if that's something to brag about considering that levels that high are multiples above the pain threshold! Also, levels that high can cause structural damage if you're indoors.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Thread Information