Forum Regular

Center channel shelf on Samsung HLP5674?

Hi,

Its amazing how difficult it is to find a TV stand or entertainment center that will fit hefty center channels. Mine is a 32 pound Infinity that's 9 inches tall. So when I found out that the Samsung HLP5674W has a shelf, I'm excited. But first I wanted to know if anyone out there who has this TV can tell me their experience with it.

Do I dare put a center on TOP of the TV??
    Please let me know - Thanks to all.
    Breezer

Hey, Breezer, did you scrap the Epson in favor of the Samsung?

Ed

Forum Regular
    Glad you're paying attention Ed. How are you doing?

Yes, I let the "great deal" go on the $3,000 Epson 57 inch LCD. The specs on the shelf said the weight capacity was a mere 11 pounds - even though the in-store display had a center about twice that weight. I don't think its wise to take that risk. Btw, my head is continously scrambled by the neverending DLP vs LCD debate. I think I'm better off with the Samsung HLP5674 with the newer HD2+, 4th gen chip. The Samsung 63 series is being discontinued and there's some fierce discounting (about $700 less than the 74 series). While its very tempting to save that much money on the 63 series with the 3rd gen HD3 chip, it does not offer a center channel shelf. I know I should be much more concerned with the difference in PQ, and I am. But the bottom line is if the shelf works, I'll go forward. If the shelf is not good enough, I doubt if I can be faulted if I choose to save some mean green on the older model. Sorry if that's crazy talk to all you AR readers out there. Please chime in with feedback on the shelf! Thanks!!

Your reasoning seems sound to me. I like the HD2+ chip better than the hocus pocus HD3, but both are good. Whatever you decide, based on the shelf problem, I'm sure that you'll be happy so far as PQ is concerned. The top of the TV is usually the best place to put the center channel, unless the ledge is too narrow to guarantee that your heavy speaker won't topple over. Sorry, but offhand I don't know.

Ed

Forum Regular
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the honesty. I checked with some folks at avsforum.com, yes I confess to the infidelity. Sorry if I offended anyone. Samsung's 74 series "shelf" is not good enough to support a cc more than 15 pounds. The consensus - 11 pages worth of thread!! - is that heavy centers may, over time, crack the plastic frame of the TV. I don't need that kind of stress. Although I would love to have the HD2+, its not looking that way. I'll update when I'm further along.
    Still would like to hear opinions - Please chime in.
    Breezer

Breezer,

Audioadvisor.com has a new OmniMount Center Channel Support that is designed specifically for the slim cabinets of DLP's, LCD's, etc. It's made out of metal and comes in either platinum or black. I saw one at GG at it seemed sturdy enough to handle your cc. At only $35, you can't really go wrong. Unfortuately, they don't have it on their website, only in their mail catalog. But if you call them, the item code is OMNICCH1.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Hi Topspeed,

Thanks for the info. I will look into the OmniMount. Just to update you, I had a change of plans on the DLP TV purchase. I'm going with a Sony RP LCD. I have a few days to decide on whether I want the Grand Wega (60 inch) or their stepped up XS (55 inch) model at the same price point. I've layed out more details on another post if you're curious. Both have great PQ, but I want to be sure I pick the one that suits me best. If you have any thoughts, pls post back.
    Breezer

Woodman, who was our resident TV guru but has been MIA for a few months, absolutely hated Sony because of their high failure rates. He was a repairman for 50 years so I would guess he knew a thing or two about it. Sony's recent QC issues are well documented, so we don't need to belabor that either. Personally, I don't like LCD's as I'll watch every 'SC football game broadcast and the SDE is really noticeable to me. When I watched the Rose Bowl two years ago, my buddy had just bought a Sony LCD and I was really dissappointed with the pq. If you must go LCD, have you looked into Hitachi's Ultravision sets? They looked brighter than the Sony's to me and had a bit smoother presentation. I have to admit that I have a 32" Ultravision CRT so consider me biased.

I'm also getting ready to purchase a 52" rptv and was all ready to pull the trigger on the JVC DILA set, until AR member Dean Martin pointed me to a recent article regarding a JVC recall. Apparently, the sets are not only able to be hung above your fireplace, but also came equipped with the value-added-bonus of replacing your fireplace alltogether...when they catch fire! Oops. Now I'm looking hard at the Mits DLP's with the HD2+ chip and 7 color wheel. I think I'll wait for the next gen JVC's in May tho as I really did like their pq the best. We'll see...

Thread Information