extended warranty

Hi i , i picked up my 1st projection tv 2 days ago , from visions in canada
    Samsung DLP 50" HL-R5064W Widescreen HDTV
    it comes with 1 yr manufacturer wannenty

what are your thoughts on getting extended warrenty on this unit ?

i have never ever gotten extended warrenty on anything , as i figure it works it works , anyways
    from visions there warranry costs are:

3yr - $299
    5yr - $379

79 bux more for 5 yr compared to 3 yr .. ( i assume this is on top of the 1 yr manufacturer)

now after the 3 or 5 yr warrenty term is up , iif i havent made a claim or used the warranty i then get a credit for that amout for in-store credit on a (min purchas $400)

i reall really dont have the $ at all for the extended warranty but i can do it if need to .

i jsut what like to know what others thoughts are on getting extended warranty on an item as this unit set me back about $2,400 CAD before tax

also i think if soemnthing didi break on it woudl it cost more then the 3yr at $299 to repair.
    thank you - hope to hear from you all .

Ex
    Last edited by ex-28; 11-12-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-28
    Hi i , i picked up my 1st projection tv 2 days ago , from visions in canada
    Samsung DLP 50" HL-R5064W Widescreen HDTV
    it comes with 1 yr manufacturer wannenty

what are your thoughts on getting extended warrenty on this unit ?

i have never ever gotten extended warrenty on anything , as i figure it works it works , anyways
    from visions there warranry costs are:

3yr - $299
    5yr - $379

79 bux more for 5 yr compared to 3 yr .. ( i assume this is on top of the 1 yr manufacturer)

now after the 3 or 5 yr warrenty term is up , iif i havent made a claim or used the warranty i then get a credit for that amout for in-store credit on a (min purchas $400)

i reall really dont have the $ at all for the extended warranty but i can do it if need to .

i jsut what like to know what others thoughts are on getting extended warranty on an item as this unit set me back about $2,400 CAD before tax

thank you - hope to hear from you all .

Ex
    I've had a 36' and my 57' TV both go out on me. Luckily I had the extended warranty. I always get it.

Yes, in both cases the warranty paid for itself.

cam
    I would get it. It will give you peace of mind. And if you don't need the warranty work you can use the money towards the in-store credit. I gaurantee in 5 years you will need something.

Be carefull though, if your Visions store is like the one in my area, they may try to tell you that if you get the 5 year warranty, it covers 5 years after the 1 year manufacturer warranty, totalling 6 years. You may then come strolling into their store to cash in your unused warranty only to find out that it expired a year ago. To cash in the unused warranty, it has to be done at the time the warranty expires. A 3 year warranty is really 2 years + the 1 year manufacturer warranty and the five year is 4 + the 1 year manufacturer. All the sales guys at the Visions in my area stand to make more if you don't come in to claim the unused warranty. They will mis-inform you on purpose if they think you are a dummy. Every, and I mean every sales guy at the Visions in my area is a snake. Me personally, I detest that store, but that is just me. Good luck.

ok thanks for all your replys i would like a 3 yr owuld be good but then for only 79 bux more , for 2 more yrs , what ya think ? heh

i hate extended warrenties specially when $ is a tad bit tight.

cam
    Get the 5. Its like getting the 4th and 5th for $40 bucks per year.

yah thats true

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    They will mis-inform you on purpose if they think you are a dummy. Every, and I mean every sales guy at the Visions in my area is a snake. Me personally, I detest that store, but that is just me. Good luck.
    Thats unfortunate. I have really good friends that work at Visions in Winnipeg (I live in Calgary) who are great guys, but yes, I do know what you are talking about with slimey sales guys. If you're in the Winnipeg area check out my good buddy, Neil, at the St. James location - he's the audio manager and will treat you right. You won't have to worry about being ripped off or lied to with him. Tell him that you found his name on a forum - he'll know who sent you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cam
    All the sales guys at the Visions in my area stand to make more if you don't come in to claim the unused warranty
    Actually, there is absolutely no skin off their back if you use that in-store credit on another purchase after your warranty expires. It is Visions the company that takes the hit, not the individual salesman. Actually by selling you the warranty, it almost guarantees that you will come back into the store and spend even more money (some times with the same salesman - if he's still around) - so the sales guys actually encourage your to come back and use it.

ya there pretty descent here , i myself am in winnipeg , picked this unit up on the regent location.

Thread Information