Forum Regular

Editing on DVD Recorder & Occasional Problems Recording

First off, I have a Lite On StandAlone LVW 5001 DVD recorder that I got for $169 new at CircuitCity.com & overall I'm happy with it but I'm curious as follows: 1. I can't seem to edit on this like a VCR, that is I can't just press pause & start recording on the spot I paused on, I don't think, 2. It seems my older value VCR has less problems with the DVD recording than my newer VCR. I don't know if this is because some of the video was encryptd or coded or what not, 3. About 25% of the time, the DVD recorder stops recording in the middle of what I'm trying to record. I don't know if this is because its directly facing the window of my apartment which is over the garage where people use
    laser(?) beamers to open the garage door & this is causing interference or that I'm using DVD+RW discs that maybe aren't fully erased even though I tried to erase them. The main thing is, because I only use DVD+RW discs on my standalone (they cost me about 40 cents each), I can still live with the screwups I'm having but if anyone has any better advice, I'm listening. It's not worth me returning this recorder and spending additional money on another one.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Not sure what the problem is here, however most garage door openers are RF and shouldn't have any effect.

Forum Regular
    and, newer vcr's include a copyright protection thingy that prevents them from making good copies of dvd's (the image constantly fades in and out). . .

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IsmaVA
    and, newer vcr's include a copyright protection thingy that prevents them from making good copies of dvd's (the image constantly fades in and out). . .
    Actually it's the DVD that is copyright protected. VCR's need to employ a Time Base Corrector in order to make a recording of a macrovision encoded disc or tape.

Forum Regular
    Looks like the old addage of "what you pay for, is what you get" still stands.

Thread Information