• 06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
    Smokey
    Toshiba outsourcing their TVs.
    Last month after buying 32 inch Toshiba TV (32A35) with a big disappointment, and their TV/HDTV getting bad reviews from magazine such as ConsumerReport, I did little research and it looks like Toshiba is outsourcing their TV out of Asia.

The company that makes tube TVs for Toshiba is by Orion Electric Co. in Thailand. Orion is an OEM company that currently produces products under the low-cost Broksonic, Durabrand, some Insignia and iLO, Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands.

That explain alot.

http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/...hp/t-6235.html
  • 06-24-2006, 01:46 PM
    edtyct
    CRTs without any pretension to HD, and even those more up to date, hold no glamour for the big companies any more (even Sony's excellent XBRs are simply treading water until their legs give out for good). They no longer have the time, the interest, or the inclination to hold up that end of the market--even less than when Smokey's linked thread was in full swing. Toshiba's money and effort now go solely to microdisplays, as well as to such risky ventures as SED and HD DVD. What surprises me is that Toshiba even bothers to let Orion continue to make SD CRTs for them. If I recall, this relationship has been ongoing for some time.
  • 06-24-2006, 06:12 PM
    Smokey
    Hi Ed

Toshiba should have done like Panasonic and get out of making CRT TVS altogether if it is
    feasible for them anymore. Meantime [loyal] Consumers might be getting screwed thinking they are getting “Toshiba” quality TV when buying a CRT TV.

With Panasonic gone and [as you said] Sony to join it soon, the only reputable CRT TV manufactures left in the field are Sharp and Samsung. I wonder how long they will hold out.
  • 06-24-2006, 06:58 PM
    edtyct
    "The king is dead. Long live the king," whoever he turns out to be. So goes the demise of CRT. But even sadder to me is something that probably deserves a new thread, but I'll mention it here. Sony's first Blu-ray player will not support SACD. This is like an unofficial announcement that the format has run its sorry course. Maybe the Dolby and DTS hi def formats will do for music what they will undoubtedly do for movie soundtracks; only time will tell. For now, however, MP3 appears to have won the day. Despite the fact that SACD and DVD-A were not given their due--by makers, sellers, or consumers--the truth is that the music world has come down decidedly in favor of low def--not redbook CDs, mind you, but a genre even less resolved. Don't get me wrong: MP3s certainly have their place, but the complete dislocation of hi-def music as we've known it is a travesty. The Old Testament had a lament for tragic moments: "How are the mighty fallen?"
  • 06-25-2006, 08:02 AM
    daviethek
    Bummer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    Last month after buying 32 inch Toshiba TV (32A35) with a big disappointment, and their TV/HDTV getting bad reviews from magazine such as ConsumerReport, I did little research and it looks like Toshiba is outsourcing their TV out of Asia.

The company that makes tube TVs for Toshiba is by Orion Electric Co. in Thailand. Orion is an OEM company that currently produces products under the low-cost Broksonic, Durabrand, some Insignia and iLO, Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands.

That explain alot.

http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/...hp/t-6235.html

Our company was just bought by Toshiba and I was hoping to get an employee discount on a HDCRT in the future. Oh well. ..
  • 06-25-2006, 08:30 AM
    edtyct
    The Custom CRT RPTV series is still available, isn't it? Act fast. Relative to other technologies, they aren't expensive in the first place.
  • 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edtyct
    Despite the fact that SACD and DVD-A were not given their due--by makers, sellers, or consumers--the truth is that the music world has come down decidedly in favor of low def--not redbook CDs, mind you, but a genre even less resolved.

I believe SACD/DAD-A failed not because of consumers, but the content distributor. They
    dragged their feet about copyright issues and piracy, that only way consumer can listen to one was to use analog (6 RCA cables) out of players. So consumers got frustrated and gave up.

As they say that history repeat itself, I hope we are not heading for same ending as for HD DVD discs. Distributors worry about piracy, while consumers demand convenience :)