AR Newbie Registered Member

Toshiba D-VR4XSU HiFi Video Cassette Recorder & DVD Recorder / Player VCR VHS

I purchased this Toshiba DVD recorder a couple of months ago used on eBay. I have used it very little. Today, I put a disc in to watch. I got an error message saying incorrect disc. I tried other, non Blu Ray, discs that I have recorded on this unit as well as several movies that I have purchased over the last several months. Until today, the unit worked great with no problems recording or playing DVDs.

I am trying to decide if it is worth taking in for repair or purchasing another DVD / VHS recorder / player.

The repair place here where I live charges $25 to diagnose the problem. If I choose to have the repair done, my $25 will be applied to the repair. If not, I essentially throw away $25.

What should I do? Pay the $25 to have it looked at and depending on the repair cost have it fixed, or just get another used unit?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Suspended
    Usually playability issues are due to firmware. I checked the Toshiba support site and there is no new firmware available. A $25 bench fee is actually cheap compared to many I've seen. Making it non-refundable is to ensure you don't take his troubleshooting and try to repair it yourself, or have someone else do it. If he's only charging a $25 bench fee, his repair rates may be less expensive as well. It's just a matter of how much you want to keep this deck.

Suspended
    True $25.00 is not so bad. If you decide not to do it and you have the space you might consider a separate VCR & DVD. Used VCR's are practically a give-away.

Welcome to AR.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I like the unit and have the remote. I just don't want to get into the hundreds of dollars to fix the unit. I see other units, Funai (who I have never heard of) and others selling for less than $100 used. That is my problem. Do I fix this one or buy another used one.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Suspended
    For $25.00 you could have your answer. Maybe you should check Craigslist if it's in your area. As both DVD & VHS are nearly obsolete I'd think you should be able to find those combo units for quite a bit under $100.00 used.

Suspended
    Funai manufactured VCR's for other companies then began putting out some units withtheir own name. Not sure on the quality or what the company does today.

Thread Information