Thread: Cables

Forum Regular

Cables

I just got done building a amp stand for my power amp so i can set it on the floor, i need to make more room on my audio stand and i hope the amp will run cooler setting out in the open. The thing is i will need 10ft cables to reach from the receiver to the power amp, I have several 6ft AR cables all ready. my ? is will it hurt anything to hook the cables together with a rca connectors to get my 10ft, any help would be appreciated

You will not hurt anything by extending your cables.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    By all means, don't buy those cables at the mall. $$$$$. PartsExpress is a much better bet.

I have long runs of pre-amp level going to-and-from my subs, its just the way I have them hooked up. Also, I have to go through some built-in shelves with a jack plate and bulkhead fittings. I decided to go with quad shield RG6 coax cable (same stuff satellite antenae use). I do think it is a better cable for long runs, a better conductor and superior shielding. Long runs of wire can pick up noise. My RG6's are very quiet, I had some 60Hz noise with patch cords. PartsExpress has nice ends and fittings for a reasonable price. They have RCA-style end adapters, which makes for a nice cable.

jocko

Forum Regular

Cables

Thanks for the help guys, I will get it hooked up and running.

Thread Information