Forum Regular

Cool Time for a New System!! Jump in and Help Me!

Hello to All
    Time for a New System! I am very excited but need someone to talk to about the latest equipment. I will post several threads as not to make this too Much or confusing.
    I want Reciever that has Power at least 100w/c. At least a 5.1 system but not sure if I want 7.1 I have read the specs on Onkyo's 701 and 801 I like them both from what I have read I have gone to the store in my area and the sales people don't seem to know much except the price and do you want the insurance with that!! Today I saw a review on Yamaha RXV-2400 what is the real world word on these products?
    What is the Best place on line to buy?
    Next I talk speakers new thread
    Thanks

Forum Regular
    1. What is your total budget for speakers, subwoofer, and receiver?

2. What size (dimensions) room will the equipment be going in? Any openings into other rooms? If so, how big are they?

3. Why are you so concerned with at least 100 WPC? The audible difference between that and a 50 WPC receiver is all of 3 dbs. Quality of the receiver is much more important than WPC rating. Remember, not all WPC is the same. Sony's 100 WPC isn't equal to Denon's 100 WPC.

4. Additionally, no need to spend alot of money on a top of the line receiver when a lesser model will fulfill all your needs and desires. Latest and greatest isn't always the best for you. Last years models are being phased out too so you may save some money that way.

5. I noticed you enjoy the Klipsch Reference speakers. Listen to them for an extended period of time. While doing so, keep in mind Klipsch is highly efficient so you will want to listen to other brands at the same volume (SPL) that you did the Klipsch. If both are in the same room you may have to turn the volume knob up more to get that same volume. Higher efficiency equals louder which does not equal better.

If you have the oppurtunity try listening to the 2400 and 1400 at the same store. The 1400 is $200 less and still has 110 w/c. The differences between the two are few and far between. Check out this PDF about them, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...v1400_2400.pdf

With an MSRP of $799 the 1400 performs great. Yamaha's YPAO is relly easy to use and really makes a difference in sound. I have had mine for about a week now and I love it.
    I never even bothered looking at the 2400 because for the $200 more you basically only get two more surround processings, 10 w/c, and the RS 232 interface.

Forum Regular

Question Video input source switcing all outputs to component

Quote Originally Posted by wasch_24
    If you have the oppurtunity try listening to the 2400 and 1400 at the same store. The 1400 is $200 less and still has 110 w/c. The differences between the two are few and far between. Check out this PDF about them, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...v1400_2400.pdf

With an MSRP of $799 the 1400 performs great. Yamaha's YPAO is relly easy to use and really makes a difference in sound. I have had mine for about a week now and I love it.
    I never even bothered looking at the 2400 because for the $200 more you basically only get two more surround processings, 10 w/c, and the RS 232 interface.
    Wasch - does either of the yammie's convert composite and s-video inputs to component output like the Denon 3803 ??? this allows you to have different video type inputs and a single component cable going to the TV .... this is a primary reason for my consideration of the Denon 3803.

Thanks,
    Mikey

Forum Regular

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by omikey
    Wasch - does either of the yammie's convert composite and s-video inputs to component output like the Denon 3803 ??? this allows you to have different video type inputs and a single component cable going to the TV .... this is a primary reason for my consideration of the Denon 3803.

Thanks,
    Mikey
    I wanted to add, I am aware that the format switching has nothing to do with improving signal quality say from composite to component, only a format change so everthing can be sent to the tv on the single component cable

Most definitely.

That feature is really conveinient because of the fact that you only have to run one video input into your T.V.

Also it eliminates the need to change the audio input of your reveiver and the video input of your T.V. Sure this is easy if you use a universal with macros, but If you don't have the remote than this is great.

Forum Regular
    Hello Bryan;
    1. $2800.00 I know thats an odd number but I feel I can get what I want and need for that or less.

2. Room 22 x 17 with a 12' doorway into the dining and Kitchen area that room is 16 x 16. I am all set for 5.1 sound I have four Speakers now I will add the new four pluse a center and a Sub.

3. I picked a 100 w/c because it seem like a step in Recievers. Yahama, Onkyo, Harmond Kardon. I know Dennon is different. To tell the truth I would be concerned with features but I get over loaded with specs. I know I will learn all this when I can use it. I have a Sony XBR 36 CRT TV.

4. Yes this is a concern I have looked at Onkyo's 801 and 701 Recievers. I am perplexed I dont want to under buy and I dont want over buy either. I plan on starting with 5.1 set up maybe going to a 7.1 later. I figure I can afford a couple of speakers later. Here is a another point I haven't mentioned. I am moving my current Setup downstairs just finished the basement. I will listen to more music down there. My wife doesn't like loud music she likes TV all the time. I am wondering if I am going over board cuz I do like loud music but I wont be listening to it as much as I would like on the new system. The System I am moving is late '80's Sony 85 w/c with Fisher Speakers 15" Woofers, two Mid ranges and two Tweeters in each Cabnet, The Rear speakers are a newer set of Definitive Tech Surround Sound bi-polar speakers.

6. What do you know about Aperion setup? I can buy their 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 801 reciever for $2650.00 that comes with shipping no tax and they throw in the Monster cable. I have never listened to these just seen the reviews on cnet.

7. I just got back from listening to the klipsch and Def Tech speakers again this time with a Yahama 2400. I wish I would have listen to the 1400 more I did for a minute or two. Yahama seem like a fine choice and the Denon 3800 I think. These guys dont carry the Onkyo.
    Thanks for your Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    1. What is your total budget for speakers, subwoofer, and receiver?

2. What size (dimensions) room will the equipment be going in? Any openings into other rooms? If so, how big are they?

3. Why are you so concerned with at least 100 WPC? The audible difference between that and a 50 WPC receiver is all of 3 dbs. Quality of the receiver is much more important than WPC rating. Remember, not all WPC is the same. Sony's 100 WPC isn't equal to Denon's 100 WPC.

4. Additionally, no need to spend alot of money on a top of the line receiver when a lesser model will fulfill all your needs and desires. Latest and greatest isn't always the best for you. Last years models are being phased out too so you may save some money that way.

5. I noticed you enjoy the Klipsch Reference speakers. Listen to them for an extended period of time. While doing so, keep in mind Klipsch is highly efficient so you will want to listen to other brands at the same volume (SPL) that you did the Klipsch. If both are in the same room you may have to turn the volume knob up more to get that same volume. Higher efficiency equals louder which does not equal better.

Forum Regular
    Hello;
    Yes I got back from a Demo and I did listen to the Yamaha's but the salesman was pushing the 2400 its better on screen and easier to use, after I had said that my wife wants something she can use without reading a catalog, blah.blah, blah. I just printed that pdf file....Thanks I do like the Yamaha's They were 999.00 and 799.00 sticker. I have seen the Onkyo's for $850.00 and $700.00.
    Now just what is the advantag of the RS-232 ? If it will let me reprogram so it can read the latest MP3 or whatever maybe thats not so bad? Let me know OK
    Thanks

RS232 is a computer industry standard interface that will allow for upgrades as new surround technology becomes available. It would be used to connect the receiver to a PC to reprogram surround processing and other things that may change with new technologies.

It seems that having this interface would allow you to upgrade anything in the receiver that is not hardware related. Theoretically allowing a receiver to continue to use the latest and greatest technologies.

Boy that sales guy pounced right on the 'my wife wants it easy to use' comment. If you can afford it go with the 2400. My 1400 was $799 sticker and I was able to get it for $729.

In response to your budget check out my system in this thread:
    Home Theater Audio Recommendations

Forum Regular

rs232 connection

RS232 is a computer industry standard interface that will allow for upgrades as new surround technology becomes available. It would be used to connect the receiver to a PC to reprogram surround processing and other things that may change with new technologies.

It seems that having this interface would allow you to upgrade anything in the receiver that is not hardware related. Theoretically allowing a receiver to continue to use the latest and greatest technologies.

Boy that sales guy pounced right on the 'my wife wants it easy to use' comment. If you can afford it go with the 2400. My 1400 was $799 sticker and I was able to get it for $729.

In response to your budget check out my system in this thread:
    Home Theater Audio Recommendations
    Having a rs232 connection on the AVR ..... doesn't this also let you run your PC through the AVR and to the TV <---- assuming of course that your TV can handle the resolution of the PC, many can not, but a lot can, such as the high end Pioneer plasma's and many of the LCDs can now display SVGA, XGA, etc......

And say with something like the Denon and Yammies 1400 and 2400 .... if you have the RS232 input, you can send the output to the TV over the Component output......... right ?
    Last edited by omikey; 03-10-2004 at 06:05 AM. Reason: wanted to add to this

Thus far I have only found documentaion describing the RS232 connection being for data transfer.

Forum Regular
    1. $2800.00 I know thats an odd number but I feel I can get what I want and need for that or less.
    Not a problem. At least that gives us a starting point.

2. Room 22 x 17 with a 12' doorway into the dining and Kitchen area that room is 16 x 16. I am all set for 5.1 sound I have four Speakers now I will add the new four pluse a center and a Sub.
    What brand are your current speakers? If possible you will want to match them. Now, the reason for the room sizes: it directly impacts what size subwoofer you will need and can take away from your budget. HT, IMO, is all about the impact. The bullets whizzing by your head and you feeling as if your inside the submarine as it is being depth charged. Right now you are looking at an area of just over 5000 cubic feet and possibly needing dual subwoofers. That being said, IMO, you are looking at close to $1,300 for a new sub/subs. Of course, you may search on Audiogon.com for used HSU TN 1220s. (I believe there are still four listed for sale there for $275 plus shipping each. They include the amp.) You would need two of those. For the room you are talking the likes of a Paradigm Servo 15, SVS PB2-Plus, VMPS Larger Subwoofer with megawoofer options plus amp to power it with, etc.

3. I picked a 100 w/c because it seem like a step in Recievers. Yahama, Onkyo, Harmond Kardon. I know Dennon is different. To tell the truth I would be concerned with features but I get over loaded with specs. I know I will learn all this when I can use it. I have a Sony XBR 36 CRT TV.
    Due to the issue with the sub you may need to go with a lesser receiver. The upcoming entry level Yamaha's will have the YPAO feature on there and are fairly easy to use. Perhaps the best bet would be to have your wife look at the receivers you have chosen and get the one she likes the best based upon her ease of use with both the receiver itself and the remote.

4. Yes this is a concern I have looked at Onkyo's 801 and 701 Recievers. I am perplexed I dont want to under buy and I dont want over buy either. I plan on starting with 5.1 set up maybe going to a 7.1 later. I figure I can afford a couple of speakers later. Here is a another point I haven't mentioned. I am moving my current Setup downstairs just finished the basement. I will listen to more music down there. My wife doesn't like loud music she likes TV all the time. I am wondering if I am going over board cuz I do like loud music but I wont be listening to it as much as I would like on the new system. The System I am moving is late '80's Sony 85 w/c with Fisher Speakers 15" Woofers, two Mid ranges and two Tweeters in each Cabnet, The Rear speakers are a newer set of Definitive Tech Surround Sound bi-polar speakers.
    Make sure you get a receiver with preouts for all channels. You can always add an amp if the speakers are underpowered.

6. What do you know about Aperion setup? I can buy their 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 801 reciever for $2650.00 that comes with shipping no tax and they throw in the Monster cable. I have never listened to these just seen the reviews on cnet.
    Not a great deal, actually, but they should be solid. The problem will be the sub as I do not believe it will be enough sub for the room. The speakers should work well.

7. I just got back from listening to the klipsch and Def Tech speakers again this time with a Yahama 2400. I wish I would have listen to the 1400 more I did for a minute or two. Yahama seem like a fine choice and the Denon 3800 I think. These guys dont carry the Onkyo.
    Thanks for your Help!!
    Assuming you can do this, my recommendation would be as follows:

dual HSU TN 1220s w/150W amps - $650ish (remember the used $275 plus shipping each deal mentioned previously?)
    Rocket HT package #4 - $1,549 plus shipping (counting on around $1,650)
    Onkyo TX-SR601 - $499.99 delivered

Total - $2799.99. Could be a little more or less depending upon shipping but the deal breaker will be if you are able to get the HSU subs.

Thread Information