AR Newbie Registered Member

Question for the board

Like others here I'm a new guy on a limited budget. Reading through some of the previous posts I see most here aren't fans of the system-in-a-box concept but my budget ($500) may force me to start out this way and add speakers later to enhance the system. I've been looking at some Yamaha systems on e-bay and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Here is the link to the system I've been looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

No response on that one which doesn't surprise me because there just isn't much love for the pre packaged systems so I went back to the drawing board. I would have to convince the old lady to up the budget but in the long I'll save money because I can get what I want now...or at least that is how I will sell it Any thoughts on this system:

Denon 1604 six channel reciever
    Denon DVD 900 progressive scan
    Polk Audio R50 x 2 floor speakers
    Polk Audio CSi20 center channel
    Polk Audio R20 rear speakers
    Polk Audio PSW202 sub

I can get some b-stock stuff off e-bay and put this together for right around $1200...I know it will never rival a Bose system but I think it will be servicable

Forum Regular
    *sigh*

Okay, trust us...Bose is OVERRATED. If you're on a budget...perhaps you should look at some used gear. You can pick up an A/V receiver a couple years old, a DVD player, and two floor standing tower speakers all off eBay and have a system that sould sound 5 times better than that system. I'd bet money on that. It might run you a little over 500, but you'd be a lot happier.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Yes, believe my other friends on this board when they tell you BOSE SUCKS....please believe us. Overrated crap. The system you mention with the Denon receiver and Polk speakers will blow holes through a Bose-oriented system, believe me. I have an Onkyo receiver with Polks, and it rocks for my size room.....

Thanks guys, the Bose comment was in jest, but in my cruising of the electronics stores many a sales person has steered me toward the Bose display.

Thread Information